Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > video mirroring over firewire?

video mirroring over firewire?
derbs
Senior User
May 18, 2004, 12:59 PM

Hello
My old man needs to be able to mirror the video of his old clamshell iBook on a projector.

It doesn't have a VGA port though. Is there any sort of adaptor that can mirror the video from his firewire port?

Thanks a lot

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2004, 02:13 PM

Are you sure it doesn't have VGA? What about component or S-Video? I've never seen a projector that didn't have at least one of those.

And there is no way to do video over FireWire like you described. My guess is that the projector does have at least one of the connections I mentioned above, but perhaps you didn't notice.

f1000
Professional Poster
May 18, 2004, 03:07 PM

I think he meant that his clamshell iBook doesn't have VGA out.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2004, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by f1000:
I think he meant that his clamshell iBook doesn't have VGA out.
Well in that case, he's screwed. As far as I know, that is.

selowitch
Mac Elite
May 18, 2004, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
Well in that case, he's screwed. As far as I know, that is.
The second-generation clamshell iBook (FireWire) does, however, have composite video out via the AV port. Since that could connect directly to a TV, perhaps there is an adapter that would allow him to connect it to the projector?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2004, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by selowitch:
The second-generation clamshell iBook (FireWire) does, however, have composite video out via the AV port. Since that could connect directly to a TV, perhaps there is an adapter that would allow him to connect it to the projector?
Of course there is such an adaptor, if he has an AV out port--it would have come with his computer. But we still don't know what kind of iBook he has, or if he meant that the projector has no VGA port.

selowitch
Mac Elite
May 18, 2004, 07:20 PM

we still don't know what kind of iBook he has
Yes, we do. There was only one clamshell model with a FireWire port (it also had one USB port); the rest are dual-USB white iBooks.
( Last edited by selowitch; May 18, 2004 at 08:08 PM. )

BobVB
Forum Regular
May 18, 2004, 10:10 PM

Of course there is such an adaptor, if he has an AV out port--it would have come with his computer. But we still don't know what kind of iBook he has, or if he meant that the projector has no VGA port.
There was only one model of clamshell with a firewire port. It had composite video out capability through the A/V jack same as the first dual USB iBooks.

http://developer.apple.com/documenta...t00/index.html

I'm not so sure that the composite video cable did come with the iBook - I know it didn't with my first dual USB ice iBook - I had to buy it myself.

The VGA port is probably on the projector, here's hoping it also has composite in AND he can still find one of the A/V cables somewhere.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2004, 11:30 PM

Well I don't know about the clamshells, but every iBook I've seen came with the AV to VGA adaptor (AV to composite was always a separate item). So if the projector has a VGA port, then he's set.

f1000
Professional Poster
May 19, 2004, 12:20 AM

Not to point out the obvious, but I'm sure derbs already realizes that his iBook has composite video out. Composite video doesn't offer the same high quality as VGA, which is probably why he's looking for a Firewire to VGA adapter.

Moreover, my dual USB iBook did NOT come with an AV connecor to VGA adapter; instead, the dual USB iBook had a separate mini-VGA Video Out port.

BobVB
Forum Regular
May 19, 2004, 12:54 AM

Well I don't know about the clamshells, but every iBook I've seen came with the AV to VGA adaptor (AV to composite was always a separate item). So if the projector has a VGA port, then he's set.
The clamshells didn't have a one: that was an innovation that appeared with the first dual USB ice iBooks.

http://developer.apple.com/documenta...y01/index.html

derbs  (op)
Senior User
May 19, 2004, 05:40 AM

Thanks for your help guys. So you're saying the firewire clamshell iBooks definitely have some sort of a video out port?

f1000 - i didn't realise the iBook had a video out port I spoke to my old man over the phone, and he swore there was nothing that looked like a video port. I guess i'm going to have to go over and show him!

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2004, 06:23 AM

I think what they are saying is that the clamshell/colorfull iBooks don't have VGA output of any kind, but it does have an Audio/Video output via the headphones socket. All you need is to buy that cable from Apple. Here is a photo from their website:

[img] http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/...vcable_125.jpg[/img]

Basically at one end it has what looks like a headphone jack, however it has 3 bands on it, rather than just two. On the other end it has 3xRCA connectors. Red and White for stereo sound and yellow for video.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

Forum Links
Forum Rules