Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > SMS Script

SMS Script
dampeoples
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 11:20 PM

Is there a way to add a script to my site that will allow someone to send a SMS message to me, but not be able to see the number, like the email thing here?
I have one of those prepaid Virgin wireless phones is that matters, and I can't seem to get the iChat thing to send a message

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jul 27, 2004, 08:42 AM

i've been after one of these too, lately. if i find anything, i'll try and think on to post it.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

dampeoples  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2004, 02:55 PM

I've decided to use the same script I use for the contact data, but send it to the phone's email addy, pretty much the same thing. I suppose it's pretty secure, and thoughts?

Amorya
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2004, 07:19 AM

Originally posted by dampeoples:
I've decided to use the same script I use for the contact data, but send it to the phone's email addy, pretty much the same thing. I suppose it's pretty secure, and thoughts?
That's ok if they're just sending to you.

If you ever want your site to send SMS to anyone though, you can't rely on email - not every network has an email to sms gatteway.
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

derbs
Senior User
Jul 29, 2004, 06:51 AM

I've been thinking about doing something with SMS. I've got do to a site for a mate who's not very techy, so doesnt use his e-mail much. I was thinking when someone fills in the enquiry form on his site, it could send an SMS via asp or php telling him to check his e-mail.

Is there any way of doing this?

Forum Links
Forum Rules