Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Dual Displays and Game Performance

Dual Displays and Game Performance
RevEvs
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2003, 03:20 PM

Ok, so i just realised that having two displays connected is seperating the gfx card RAM to 32MB each per monitor.

So i just did some benchmarks (in UT2K3) with one screen and then two screens connected (the second screen does nothing, just stays black), i was thinking that with one display and the whole 64MB that it would be much faster, but the fps from the benchmarks turned out to be pretty much exactly the same.

Do games (UT2K3, Quake3 etc) disable the second screen so they get all 64MB or what?

Just trying to work out whats best, I was assuming that id have to disconnect the second monitor before playing any games to get a better fps, but the benchmark seemed to prove that incorrect.

revs
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2003, 03:37 PM

Nah, the second screen is auto-disabled so the gameplay screen gets all the attention (and RAM and such). On my dual-display setup it does this on all the games I play.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

RevEvs  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2003, 03:50 PM

ah good good. I thought so once i saw the benchmarks.

Would go back to playing Urban Terror, but someone on my network is making my ping go sky high...

revs
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules