Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Why are there no 7460 compiles?

Why are there no 7460 compiles?
cuniac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2004, 05:40 AM

Hi, I when't on your site to see special compiles of Boinc for mac. Well I was going to download one when I noticed you dident have any for the 7460 (Dual 1.42 G4) compiles. Could you add one please. and also, what it the SetiWorker? I do use seti but I never seen it put like that.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 3, 2004, 08:14 AM

I've never heard of a 7460 chip...
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 3, 2004, 10:46 AM

Nor have I...
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 10:57 AM

Did a little quick research, and apparently the 7460 is functionally equivelent to the 7450, but manufactured on "an improved process". These came out apparently late in the G4 life cycle, so weren't widely noticed, and provided no significant design change.

The key phrase here is "functionally equivelent". There was no design, change, just a manufacturing process change. Since the pipelines, bus speed, registers, etc, didn't change, the 7450 client should be fine for it.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 3, 2004, 11:46 AM

The 7460 has never come out. It existed in the roadmap and was sometimes called the Apollo chip by the rumor sites. If they are to be believed, it was a G4 with native DDR support and numerous other improvements.

Then Moto cancelled it. The Dual 1.42 uses 7455 chips so far as I know.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 3, 2004, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by reader50:
The 7460 has never come out. It existed in the roadmap and was sometimes called the Apollo chip by the rumor sites. If they are to be believed, it was a G4 with native DDR support and numerous other improvements.
I believe the Apollo, as it came out, is the 7457. It's got improvements, just not the better FSB interface.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

cuniac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2004, 03:55 PM

well under this CPU Speed Acceleratior app I have it tell me its a, PowerPC 7460 (G4 Apollo) at 1.417

mikkyo
Senior User
Sep 3, 2004, 04:03 PM

What does hostinfo say?
The 7450 version should work for anything 7450 or greater.
The 7400 version might even be exactly the same.
Im not sure how in-depth gcc's optimizations go with regard to cache and pipeline handling.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 3, 2004, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by cuniac:
well under this CPU Speed Acceleratior app I have it tell me its a, PowerPC 7460 (G4 Apollo) at 1.417
This has to be a bug in that application. Someone allowed for the Apollo becoming available someday, but got the code wrong, and it's reporting it on a 7455.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 07:35 PM

I found some articles where some writers referred to the dual 1.42 as a 7460, but never saw any official confirmation of it. The information I did find indicated a chip that was produced with an improved process, whatever that means, but was other-wise operationally identical to the 745x series. Compiles for the 7450+ series should run just fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules