Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Server hub?

Server hub?
jay3ld
Senior User
Feb 9, 2005, 08:35 PM

i now got 3 computers with an adaptation of a Virus Corrupted Computer (PC) and its getting hard to have the printers only working on 1 computer. is there some way or someting i can buy to basilcly be like a printer hub and internet hub or something.

i want it so i dont got 6 wires running to each computer (internet and printer) so its 1 line running to each

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 9, 2005, 11:26 PM

You can find wired networking routers that include printservers all over the place. I have two right now-a USRobotics 8000, and a SpeedStream 2604. Note that these both have parallel printservers, but there are other devices on the market with USB printservers as well.

This type of router is inexpensive, allows you to connect just one ethernet cable to each computer, and will allow you to share a broadband Internet connection as well. Look for a "cable/DSL router" with printserver.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jay3ld  (op)
Senior User
Feb 11, 2005, 12:01 AM

how would i connect a usb printer to an ethernet hub?
or am i not understanding

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 11, 2005, 10:33 AM

As I said, some routers include a USB printserver. This allows you to connect a USB printer-just as if it were connected to a computer-and share it with all the computers on the network.

You do NOT want a "hub." Hubs are dumb devices that send every packet to every port, whereas switches are intelligent enough to send each data packet to the appropriate destination port without hindering traffic to all the other ports. Cable/DSL routers include a switch on their LAN side, usually at least a 4-port switch.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

John Strung
Senior User
Feb 11, 2005, 12:36 PM

Something like this would do the job nicely.

Forum Links
Forum Rules