Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Cleaning the dustbunnies out of a G5 Quad

Cleaning the dustbunnies out of a G5 Quad
Knightrider
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2006, 02:18 PM

About six weeks ago I cleaned the dust out of the insides of the G5 Quad. It was pretty clogged up and the 'Radiator' type cooling grill was the worst. By up-ending the G5 so that the dust would fall straight down, I gave it an oh so very very careful brush using a dry bristle 1/4 inch paint brush. The leaves of the cooling system are very delicate and will close up if you do it to hard, costing less cooling effect. Also using your own puff is a much better idea than using a vacuum cleaner. A definate NO NO.

So here I am six weeks later with problems which "could" relate to overheating. There are two places I could not clean. One is the Fan between the cooler and the case and the other is inside the cooler itself.

Any tips on how to clean inside the cooler?
How do you remove the cover so that it can be safely put back?
Do they get dust problems?

Any help appreciated before I take it in to the menders.

K.

jay3ld
Senior User
Jun 18, 2006, 04:16 PM

A vacumn should work fine.. But personally I got power tools and such So I set my air compressor to a really low psi and carefully spary around (with a dust mask on) and it gets all the dust to come out while i hold a vacumn hose of were the main dust is comming out to get most of it before it gets into the air.

if you got a air compressor just do that and it works. just be careful. to much psi and you could spend $$$ to fix your computer.
You shouldn't make fun of nerds... you'll be working for one some day.

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2006, 01:38 AM

If you don't have an air compressor, or aren't comfortable with it. Just take some time, and some tender-love-and-care, and do it detail style. I suggest the following:

1) Box of Q-tips
2) Windex (FOR ALUMINUM OUTSIDE ONLY!)
3) Small Rag
4) Small cup of water
5) Compressed Air

I unplug my G5, open her up, and dust, very slowly and carefully, all *electronic* parts with DRY-q-tips. Then, I dunk qtips in the water cup for all the fans / plastic surfaces, and dry with rag or more qtips. Use the Compressed air for the "radiator" in the G5, its the only thing you really need it for.

If you're comfortable, you can disassemble the whole thing, pop out the dvd drive, hard-drive(s), etc. With the G5 it is very easy!
yep.

Knightrider  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2006, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Tenacious Dyl
If you don't have an air compressor, or aren't comfortable with it. Just take some time, and some tender-love-and-care, and do it detail style. I suggest the following:

1) Box of Q-tips
2) Windex (FOR ALUMINUM OUTSIDE ONLY!)
3) Small Rag
4) Small cup of water
5) Compressed Air

I unplug my G5, open her up, and dust, very slowly and carefully, all *electronic* parts with DRY-q-tips. Then, I dunk qtips in the water cup for all the fans / plastic surfaces, and dry with rag or more qtips. Use the Compressed air for the "radiator" in the G5, its the only thing you really need it for.

If you're comfortable, you can disassemble the whole thing, pop out the dvd drive, hard-drive(s), etc. With the G5 it is very easy!

This sounds a good method. The danger in any activity inside the box of any computer is of course, static electricity, which will zap components, so care needs to be taken to use materials which will not create or transfer static. Bristle brush may not be a good idea after all because of this risk.

K.

P
Jun 28, 2006, 11:28 AM

You can buy compressed air in cans in places that sell electrinics supplies.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 28, 2006, 12:21 PM

Air compressor (or cans) and a good blasting. Do it outside so the dust doesn't come back in.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Forum Links
Forum Rules