Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Looking for a good sword

Looking for a good sword
Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2003, 02:50 PM

I am looking to buy a sword. I want something real not just a display piece. Either Asian or medieval. Where can I et something like this and what should I look for?

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 15, 2003, 03:22 PM

Try reading the beginner's forum here:

Sword Forum International

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2003, 03:34 PM

"Do not excessively covet swords and daggers made by famous masters. Even if you can own a sword or dagger worth 10,000 pieces, it can be overcome by 100 spears each worth 100 pieces. Therefore, use the 10,000 pieces to procure 100 spears, and arm 100 men with them. You can in this manner defend yourself in time of war."

Asakura Toshikage (1428-1481)

J

bkatran
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2003, 05:01 PM

i own 3 paul chen swords, the oriole piece, its beautiful and well made

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2003, 08:04 PM

Depends on what kind of sword you're looking for. If you're looking for just a show sword, you can buy one off of eBay for pretty cheap.

However, if you're looking for a sword and like to entertain the idea that, if you wanted to, you can take it off the mantel and cut off someone's head with it, make sure it's SCA certified.

If it's not SCA certified it's just for show. Inevitably your friends will want to "sword fight" with it and someone will drop it on the sidewalk or will be clanging them against each other. Show swords will break in half. 99% of swords are for display purposes only. They may be "sharp as a razor" but they'll break in half if you drop it or even wave it around too much.

But if you want a sword and like the idea that you could actually use it, make sure it's SCA certified.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules