Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Qucikbooks Pro

Qucikbooks Pro
jan bumcrot
Apr 26, 2000, 10:17 PM

Has anyone had any system failures using the budget program in quick books pro? If so please let me know what kind. My accountant
told me not to use the program because of to many bugs and problems. But I really need this program to keep track of finances.

Dahl Bryn
Apr 27, 2000, 11:31 AM

In regards to Quickbooks Pro v4, which is the
last version Intuit Inc. said they would support, it is now 3 1/2 years old.

It is a FAT program, meaning its supposed to run fairly well on 68xxx or PowerPC Macs...

However, this is NOT the case. I constantly
have had problems with freezing, etc. when
using either minimal or all extensions in Mac OS 8.5, 8.6, 9.0 & 9.04 on these Macs: 8600/300, Beige G3/300, iMac Rev D, & Graphite G4.

Fortunately my solution has been to run on an older Mac 8600/300 with Mac OS 8.1 and all of the extensions I want. Quickbooks Pro 4 build M11 works just fine. It gets cranky if I use Suitecase 8.2 with lots (and I mean LOTS of fonts), otherwise its been fine and quite the workhorse.

I've been holding out for Quickbooks Pro v5 or v6 like on the PCs (because I also use those versions on PCs in our office). But I won't hold out for much longer (maybe a year).

If nothing happens - I will definately switch to MYOB v9 or probably v10 by that time. Its a much better product in most areas, but it is not as intuitive as Quickbooks and you would have to setup your books all over and re-input a lot of the data manually.

Hope this helps & good luck.

David Platzker
Apr 27, 2000, 11:44 AM

I've used both QuickBooks and MYOB for the past two years side by side with my business [our auditor wants us to use QuickBooks, our bookkeeper wants us to use MYOB - at the end of the FY we will move to a single program.]

Both programs stink. MYOB is combersome, bloated, and makes simple tasks far too complex. Quickbooks feels like an old program, but at least we can do most functions very quickly. We've had no real stability problems with either program, assuming nothing else is open while using either.

As the owner of a small business [1 million annual gross], I would hope there would be a far less complex program that was quick, easy, and could produce complex reporting requirements without having to go the the user's guide everytime we simply need do quarterly reporting etc.

David Jackson
Apr 27, 2000, 12:10 PM

Well the program is so old that I have giving it the ghost, I like the Quickbooks program so I was force to buy the lastest PC version and run it on Virtual PC.

It works great all the forms print well, I recommend it, if you are willing to run it in Virtual PC.

Maybe this will be the year we see Quickbooks back on the Mac

matthew goossen
Apr 27, 2000, 01:33 PM

has anybody had any luck importing QIF files into MYOB or Quickbooks? I was told by Intuit that Quickbooks 2000 has the capability of importing QIF but I do not want to upgrade from Quickbooks 99 just for this little feature. I am looking to go back to MYOB but the demo was unable to import my credit card QIF.

I sure wish we had better choices on the Mac. Maybe an internet application will even the field.

Dev-Em
Apr 27, 2000, 03:50 PM

If you're looking for an alternative to QuickBooks (and aren't we all?) there are a couple of Internet-based accounting solutions out there. I've been looking into it in trying to find accounting for my freelance work and I've not been a fan of either QuickBooks or MYOB. There is another desktop-based Mac solution called Aatrix. I believe that Aatrix is the company that bought the Mac version of the Peachtree product back in the day.

But onto the Internet accounting sites. I've found three solid ones, so far:

ePeachtree - relatively new, but looks pretty solid and you can try it out for free for 90 days. It's from Peachtree Software, so they do know something about accounting software for small business.

NetLedger - Seemed decent, but I *hate* their Web site (being a designer and all, it offends my sense of design). They're also new, but backed by Ellison's money.

eLedger - new, better site design :-), but I haven't done a whole lot of research on them. When I learn more, I'll come back and let everyone know the results.

Hope this is helpful!

Dev

Mizuymikal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2000, 05:40 PM

Matthew:
Try this link: http://intuit.com/support/quicken/faqs/mac2/2353.html
It is for Quicken 2000, but it may be of some use to you. Hope that this helps.
El gato
600 MHz iMac 512M OS X 10.1.5/ OS 9.2.2

Forum Links
Forum Rules