Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > dp800 not compatible with 10.3

dp800 not compatible with 10.3
aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2003, 10:28 PM

After a week of frustration I decided to do an erase and install of 10.3 on my stock 60g HD on my dp800. I did a full install with no other programs installed.

After a second wake from sleep I got the black screen of death. After a startup several hours after a complete shutdown I got a kernel panic startup.

I previously ran the hardware test disc and all passed.

I have a stock Apple dp800 with stock Apple supplied RAM and 60g HD. I use the stock mouse and keyboard, no extras at all. With 10.2.8, not problems at all.

Hydra
Senior User
Oct 31, 2003, 12:28 AM

I just sold my dual800 to my brother after getting my dual G5. PFEEWWW!! I'm glad I dodged that bullet because 10.3 runs perfectly on my dual G5

Just kidding, my Brother now has my old dual 800 and he's been running 10.3 since the 24th for about a week now and he reports nothing but smooth sailing. He did and upgrade install not a fresh one by the way. He says its running better, stronger and faster now...

-Jerry C.

Link
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2003, 01:05 AM

hahah aehaas our g4s must have come from the same assembly line <-- mine's a pain with 10.3 too.

But 60gb? They were 80gb default.. is your drive a beige trayed one? :shrug:
Aloha

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2003, 01:33 AM

My dual 800 has been smooth as pie in Panther. Good luck with yer Mac troubles.

*knocks on desk*

One weird thing that *STILL* occurs with my dp800, though. Every once in awhile, when waking from sleeping�and very rarely, when booting after not being on for days (rare because it's always on, almost)�the screen will not come up. No video. Everything wakes up, but no degauss chirp or anything from the 17" CRT ADC. Just sits there, computer on. I have to restart with the button on the front of the machine, or hold the power and power down and back up. Sometimes it will take three or four boots to get it going again. Hasn't happened in a long time, but it did it the other day. Irritating. I've reset the PMU ... thought it fixed it for a long time, but then it did it again. Ah well�it's a happy Mac still. You know Macs can be cranky.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2003, 02:24 AM

my dual 800 has run without a hitch under 10.3....extra ram, 2 monitors, m-audio pci card...no problems at all.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

CIA
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2003, 08:45 AM

Quicksilver DP800 running like a champ under 10.3 here...

EDIT:
I should add that I did a clean install of Panther, in case that matters.
( Last edited by CIA; Oct 31, 2003 at 10:43 AM. )

scottiB
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2003, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
One weird thing that *STILL* occurs with my dp800, though. Every once in awhile, when waking from sleeping�and very rarely, when booting after not being on for days (rare because it's always on, almost)�the screen will not come up. No video. Everything wakes up, but no degauss chirp or anything from the 17" CRT ADC. Just sits there, computer on. I have to restart with the button on the front of the machine, or hold the power and power down and back up. Sometimes it will take three or four boots to get it going again. Hasn't happened in a long time, but it did it the other day. Irritating. I've reset the PMU ... thought it fixed it for a long time, but then it did it again. Ah well�it's a happy Mac still. You know Macs can be cranky.
Me, too. DP/800 + 17" CRT ADC. I'm wondering if it's a power thing; I have four HDs and a RAID card in mine, and that monitor does pull some power. (?)

I haven't loaded Panther, yet, so, I can't add to the original topic.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2003, 10:38 AM

dp800 is butter smoothly working in panther here..

daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2003, 05:25 PM

I have just found an issue with Panther and my dp800, If anyone with a dp800 wants to check this to : My Activity Monitor doesn't boot... It pops in the dock for a sec then crashes.. I never booted it before..

CIA
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2003, 06:54 PM

Activity moniter works fine here on 10.3. I just wish I could change the CPU floating moniter another color. Puke neon green sucks.

Link
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2003, 11:44 PM

I'm becoming highly suspicious that there MIGHT be an issue with the early dp800 cpu cards that is only being amplified in 10.3.

Eh. either way... this is the next thing to ask to those that have these problems, when did you get your powermac (in my case I got mine in sept.)
Aloha

Hydra
Senior User
Nov 2, 2003, 02:18 AM

My old dual 800 that my brother has now was a CTO GF3 model that was one of the first to be delivered (I think August actually). He has no problems with 10.3. Just because your dual 800 has problems doesn't mean it's a systemic problem with all of them. My dual 800 was the most reliable computer I have ever owned. It only KP'd like 3 times in 2 years and my brother says it now is running smoothly under 10.3. If the dual G5 hadn't been such a leap forward I would be still using it

-Jerry C.

Link
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2003, 04:44 AM

rofl hydra you f***ing rich yuppie. I hate you now

You only had problems because you bought the computer, treated it like a decoration, and then got a new one since you could afford it (I bet it matches your t610 and porsche 911 nicely huh )

ok j/k but damn how can you afford to go from a $4000 machine to another $4000 machine?!?!?!

:screams:

Um yeah. I know it isn't.. but was suggesting a wild one there the dp800 is one of the hottest running macs there ever will be (dual 7450s which were already pushed to their edge damn).

All the other DP macs were either significantly slower or based on 7455 much cooler cpu design :shrug: overheating can cause weird things to happen.. but yet again.. it might not be the cause.

Glad to hear it's working for you rich people Being poor and expecting 5 years of heavy use out of it I had to be the one that got hosed.. why couldn't they nail someone who wouldn't have noticed the difference anyway?

I hope your next computer you get in 6 months is defective and then people get angry at you
Aloha

daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2003, 08:33 AM

myeah, activity monitor problem got fixed with repairing permissions

aehaas  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2003, 10:38 AM

I purchased (ordered from Apple) my dp800 on it's first day of release.

aehaas

Buck_Naked
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2003, 02:08 PM

No problems with my Dual800.
10.3 is sweet and the machine has never locked up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules