Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Dead iPod Mini

Dead iPod Mini
Nebrie
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2004, 08:28 PM

After playing with my new iPod Mini for an hour, it died. No troubleshooting steps have been able to revive it. I checked Apple's support board and there seems to be a small number of people reporting the exact same problems. Apple's sending me a box for repair, but I was just wondering if anyone else here has had an iPod Mini die shortly after getting it, or if your Mini is still working perfectly? I wonder if it's just the normal DOA rate that happens with every new electronic product or if there is something wrong.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2004, 10:01 PM

Maybe you need to plug it in and charge the battery.

Chris

Minty Fresh
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2004, 11:41 PM

Sorry to hear about your problems... ...mine has been working fine. I've got about 500 MB used, and I was using it for about 2 hours this morning while washing my car...and it's doing okay. Hopefully they will be able to fix it, or send you a new one quickly.

Nebrie  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2004, 12:24 AM

charging the battery came quite early in Apple's troubleshooting steps.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2004, 02:11 AM

OK. Sorry it didn't work. I was just thinking that one hour to fail is pretty fast, and that maybe you overlooked this critical step in the midst of your excitement. What exactly do you mean by "died." Does it look like it has no power, or is it on but frozen? Have you tried the reset key combination--holding menu and select at the same time?

Chris

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2004, 03:30 AM

Be prepared. Go register the domain, ipodminisDirtySecret.com, and start looking for good deals on cases of spray paint. You might want to thing of a catchy anti-iPodMini slogan as well.

ender2002
Senior User
Feb 21, 2004, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
Be prepared. Go register the domain, ipodminisDirtySecret.com, and start looking for good deals on cases of spray paint. You might want to thing of a catchy anti-iPodMini slogan as well.

lol. i saw that video.

Chips G
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2004, 08:23 PM

Try this:
leave the iPod alone for about 4 days...dont touch it, try to charge it, anything (it will be hard i know)

Then, try plugging it in...it should boot up.

I have had problems with my 1st gen iPod (twice now) where NOTHING will get it to work. (restart, plugging it into computer or wall, etc) so i just leave it for about a week or so, and then i plug it in and voila, working iPod.

Mind you, this is with an old iPod, but it may work for yours too.

Good luck
This signature is obsolete.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2004, 12:07 PM

my guess you got one of the 5% that fail.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2004, 12:30 PM

that sucks...sorry to hear that your mini crapped out on you, if it makes you feel any better my original 5gb ipod is still kicking

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

ryju
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2004, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by nredman:
that sucks...sorry to hear that your mini crapped out on you, if it makes you feel any better my original 5gb ipod is still kicking
And so is my year old 10GB!

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2004, 02:44 PM

Did you try to reset the Mini by holding down the menu play/pause and select button at the same time? Reason I ask is that I bought my wife one Friday night, took it home synced it up and it was working great. The next day we were driving around and I was showing her how to use it and it just stopped working. I was thinking we had a bad one.

At first I tried holding down simultaneously the menu and play/pause to reset it...nothing. Then I held down the menu, play/pause, and select button for about 5 or seconds, and it came back to life.

Forum Links
Forum Rules