Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > No CD Burner found ... but it can read!

No CD Burner found ... but it can read!
peter_cph
Sep 12, 2004, 05:53 AM

Hi folks

I connected at LaCie external FireWire "superdrive"" (read and burns both CD and DVD) to my blue/white G3 running OS 9.2.2

It worked fine. I burned a couple of DVD's and some CD's and was happy.

But ... 2 days later, it suddenly stopped working.

I can no longer burn.

Toast (5.2.3) says: No CD burner connected

This is strange, because if I put a CD in the drive, it mounts on the desktop, so the connection is there ... Toast (as well as Finder) can see the drive and read from it - it just doesn' recognize the drive as a burner.

Ah ... so the drive is defective. Return it and get a new one. That's whatr I thought ... but I wanted to try something first.

So I disconnected the drive from the G3 and connectedd it my PowerBook (G3/500 OSX Panther) and it works fine.

The problem is linked to the blue/white G3

Any clues?

Peter

OsakaBill
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2004, 09:46 AM

My external CD burner will only work if I power on the drive and reboot my PowerMac (PowerBook, iBook, etc.) If the Mac is up and running and I connect the burner and turn it on, while System profiler may "see" the drive, other applications do not know it is there.

Try that with yours.
Resistance Is Futile--Think Different

peter_cph  (op)
Sep 12, 2004, 04:28 PM

Good thinking ... but the drive is always on ... there's not even an on/off switch on it ... it's always powered up and the lignts come on as soon as I turn on the Mac (and there is activity on the FW).

P

Originally posted by OsakaBill:
My external CD burner will only work if I power on the drive and reboot my PowerMac (PowerBook, iBook, etc.) If the Mac is up and running and I connect the burner and turn it on, while System profiler may "see" the drive, other applications do not know it is there.

Try that with yours.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2004, 11:12 PM

Originally posted by OsakaBill:

Try that with yours.
Same thing with an Iomega external USB CD-RW that I had. I had to unplug power from the drive and shut down the system completely. Plug power back into the drive and then boot the system. If it stayed plugged in for more than a day I would have to redo the process.

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2004, 11:53 PM

my old external firewire CDRW sometimes needs a little power-off/power-on to get it to remember it can burn, too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules