Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Bush wants another $75 billion to fund wars

Bush wants another $75 billion to fund wars
Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 02:44 AM

"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

tie
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 03:11 AM

Interesting how Bush and the army have been delaying maintenance in order to put off the request as long as possible, and to try to push this news until after the election. Of course, it will cost more now, but that is a small price for American taxpayers to help fund Bush's reelection campaign.

PacHead
Baninated
Oct 27, 2004, 05:22 AM

Whatever it takes.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by PacHead:
Whatever it takes.

Whatever what takes?

nath
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Sick. Cure a disease instead.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/....ap/index.html
judging by recent relations with the natives in the various occupied territories they'll probably have to spend most of it on these:

http://msn.com.com/2100-9584_22-872210.html

cue thousands of coalition troops frantically tapping 'i....will.....burn......your.....hut.....down.... ."

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2004, 11:32 AM

Tax Gap.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

UR-20
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 12:46 PM

Whatever it takes.

We could have better schools, we could have better health care, but when the time comes, at least we can say "We spent a ton of money to kill A LOT of people!" woohoo, usa all the way.

I'm just wondering where you would draw the line?

If after the $75 billion, he said he'd need another
$100 billion, then another $25, and finally he reinstates the draft
because we lack man power, would you completely support his decision?
Remember this is hypothetical.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 12:52 PM

To be fair, we're in this now, and can't afford to let Iraq decompose into anarchy. President Kerry will have to ask for the same money, and support the same generals, to do the same job: crush the insurgents, get Iraqis trained, and prepare the country to run its own affairs.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2004, 12:56 PM

No problem, put it on our national Visa card. As long as we keep making the minimum payment we'll have it all paid off in just under 3000 years
( Last edited by itai195; Oct 27, 2004 at 01:08 PM. )

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2004, 01:04 PM

Me, my family and my business will do our part.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Oct 27, 2004, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by RAILhead:
Me, my family and my business will do our part.

Maury
Your part in what? You gonna mail in checks or have your kids sign a bomb?

"Hello, what have we here?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2004, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by Landos Mustache:
Your part in what? You gonna mail in checks or have your kids sign a bomb?
I pay my part. I don't have kids, but I'll sign a bomb if someone lets me.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2004, 03:06 PM

Funny how no one asks questions when Bush wants more cash. Don't get me wrong - I expected that more money is going to be needed for reconstruction, etc. - but why the immediate urge to bend over as soon as Bush says so? Where's the accountability for what we have shoveled out so far? How did the administration arrive at $75 billion? I'd like to better understand the answers to those questions before I decide to "do my part" (whatever that means).

Seems like some are always enthusiastically ready to say yes to Bush, even when they don't know what exactly that entails.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 04:13 PM

I pay my part. I don't have kids, but I'll sign a bomb if someone lets me.

Maury
This is exactly why the US gets terrorist attacks in the first place ya stereotype American Redneck.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2004, 04:34 PM

This is exactly why the US gets terrorist attacks in the first place ya stereotype American Redneck.
What an odd way to make your point -- if you were trying to make one. How am I an American Redneck, as you put it? I can't wait to hear your definition and how it applies to me...

Maury

PS: I guess I could be like Kerry and say I support the effort but don't want to help pay for it, if that's what you were looking for.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2004, 04:50 PM

PS: I guess I could be like Kerry and say I support the effort but don't want to help pay for it, if that's what you were looking for.

I thought Bush was the one who didn't want to actually pay for it, he prefers to use the funny money.

UR-20
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by Mithras:
To be fair, we're in this now, and can't afford to let Iraq decompose into anarchy. President Kerry will have to ask for the same money, and support the same generals, to do the same job: crush the insurgents, get Iraqis trained, and prepare the country to run its own affairs.
Possible-president-to-be Kerry, would probably manage to mend at least a few bridges with other nations of the world that Bush managed to torch.

Bottom line, it was short sited of us to go it alone.

tie
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 04:55 PM

I pay my part.
You actually mean borrow your part, and your children will pay for it.

Or are you saying you are paying more than you owe for your taxes? Seems a bit nutty, but that's what a bunch of people apparently expect Cheney and Kerry to do. If so, then I'm all for it. Go RAILhead!

Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 10:15 PM

What an odd way to make your point -- if you were trying to make one. How am I an American Redneck, as you put it? I can't wait to hear your definition and how it applies to me...
You sound like a war monger. Signing a bomb that won't even be dropped directly on people who have done anything to you is rather sick.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2004, 10:22 PM

You sound like a war monger. Signing a bomb that won't even be dropped directly on people who have done anything to you is rather sick.
How is that "redneck"?

Maury

undotwa
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2004, 03:43 AM

Whether or not you agreed with the war, for the greater good of humanity, let America finish the job.

'I told you so' attitudes are disgusting, when the suffering of human life is at stake. In many regards, not allowing Bush the money required not only harms Bush's credibility, but it harms the people of Iraq.
In vino veritas.

jojo gunne
Oct 28, 2004, 03:53 AM

I pay my part.
And pay...and pay and pay...and borrow more from China, and pay...and pay...and...

LOL!!1!11!

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2004, 12:40 PM

How is that "redneck"?

Maury
You'd probably ask the same if you married your cousin.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2004, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by undotwa:
Whether or not you agreed with the war, for the greater good of humanity, let America finish the job.

'I told you so' attitudes are disgusting, when the suffering of human life is at stake. In many regards, not allowing Bush the money required not only harms Bush's credibility, but it harms the people of Iraq.
Yes thats the solution! If something isn't working, keep throwing money at it and well....it will magically start to get better! Yea..thats it. Just keep bombing and sending in more troops, perhaps ...just maybe when enough people are killed they will give up and realize the error of their ways.

All this war is doing is making a select few contractors Very...very rich. I envy those contractors...well the one's that still have their head attached to their body that is.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2004, 12:51 PM

How is that "redneck"?

Maury
Why don't you go take a bullet for your country or lose a limb, perhaps that would quench your lust for war.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2004, 01:01 PM

You'd probably ask the same if you married your cousin.
Hm, maybe -- but I think you're confusing me with someone from Arkansas. Regardless, I'm already married so no worries.

Maury

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2004, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by Nicko:
Why don't you go take a bullet for your country or lose a limb, perhaps that would quench your lust for war.
Didn't realize I had a lust for war -- that's news to me. As for your other "point," I'm guessing you're trying to ask why I'm in the military? The answer is simple: my life led me down another path.

Maury

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2004, 01:57 PM

Didn't realize I had a lust for war

Signing bombs and willing to send more money then the 250 BILLION already spent on killing people in another country plus speaking for your family in a pro war attitude is called lust for war.

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2004, 02:04 PM

i got a CNN No Page Found.

PacHead
Baninated
Oct 28, 2004, 02:19 PM

Whatever what takes?
Whatever the war takes. Cost is irrelevent. There's plenty of more people we need to take out/eliminate.

dencamp
Senior User
Oct 28, 2004, 02:38 PM

Whatever the war takes. Cost is irrelevent. There's plenty of more people we need to take out/eliminate.
And you are a conservative? I somehow know that you would kick against the pricks if your dreaded tax burden inched up even five percent, though I could be wrong. What is your taxable limit for "whatever it takes?"

Two steps forward (six steps back)

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2004, 02:45 PM

I'm willing to spend what it takes at this point, but my three objections are these:

(1) How are we going to pay for it? We haven't raised taxes, as a nation we haven't sacrificed anything, we're passing the bill on to our children.

(2) Will anyone be held accountable for grossly underestimating the cost of the war?

(3) Will anyone be held accountable for mismanagement of war and reconstruction funds?

PacHead
Baninated
Oct 28, 2004, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by dencamp:
And you are a conservative? I somehow know that you would kick against the pricks if your dreaded tax burden inched up even five percent, though I could be wrong. What is your taxable limit for "whatever it takes?"
The "limit" is hard to say. Compared to many Euro countries, we have quite a ways to go before we reach their outrageous tax level.

And no, I wouldn't really call myself a conservative, though I am obviously not a liberal either.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2004, 02:48 PM

The funny thing is the US people looked rather surprised on Sept 11.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2004, 02:52 PM

Signing bombs and willing to send more money then the 250 BILLION already spent on killing people in another country plus speaking for your family in a pro war attitude is called lust for war.
Signing a bomb is pro-war? Hm.

"250 BILLION" you say? Where'd you get that number, from KerryPoo?

And why in the living crap can't I speak for my family?

Maury

dencamp
Senior User
Oct 28, 2004, 03:17 PM

The "limit" is hard to say. Compared to many Euro countries, we have quite a ways to go before we reach their outrageous tax level.

And no, I wouldn't really call myself a conservative, though I am obviously not a liberal either.
But we are talking about 2 different kinds of tax burdens. Many European countries have expenditures skewed towards domestic/social services. Thus, whether you agree or not, citizens can objectively grasp what their taxes are being spent upon.

If you are suggesting that we have, say, 60 nations to invade/leaders to overthrow (guessing based on number of nations with terrorists inside their borders) then you are talking about an outlandish tax burden--a burden that would eliminate expenditures on any domestic infrastructure, etc. I think that the zeal for invasion, regime changing, etc. is completely out of proportion to any nation's abilities--apart from the fact that I think that it is suicidal to just willy-nilly topple governments, eliminate dictators, replace leaders with the next Pinochet-like clown.

I know that your rhetoric tends towards hyperbole, but it smacks of shallow bravado to imply that the US needs--or even can -- "take out" plenty of more people, nations, governments.

Out of curiosity, during Sarajevo bombings did you align yourself with conservatives who said that the US should not be the world's police? I'm curious based upon your resistance to the conservative tag and your current positions.

Two steps forward (six steps back)

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2004, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
I'm willing to spend what it takes at this point, but my three objections are these:

(1) How are we going to pay for it? We haven't raised taxes, as a nation we haven't sacrificed anything, we're passing the bill on to our children.

(2) Will anyone be held accountable for grossly underestimating the cost of the war?

(3) Will anyone be held accountable for mismanagement of war and reconstruction funds?
Don't ask sensible questions. They're too busy bending over.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2004, 03:25 PM

Outsource the war to India?

PacHead
Baninated
Oct 28, 2004, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by dencamp:
But we are talking about 2 different kinds of tax burdens. Many European countries have expenditures skewed towards domestic/social services. Thus, whether you agree or not, citizens can objectively grasp what their taxes are being spent upon.

If you are suggesting that we have, say, 60 nations to invade/leaders to overthrow (guessing based on number of nations with terrorists inside their borders) then you are talking about an outlandish tax burden--a burden that would eliminate expenditures on any domestic infrastructure, etc. I think that the zeal for invasion, regime changing, etc. is completely out of proportion to any nation's abilities--apart from the fact that I think that it is suicidal to just willy-nilly topple governments, eliminate dictators, replace leaders with the next Pinochet-like clown.

I know that your rhetoric tends towards hyperbole, but it smacks of shallow bravado to imply that the US needs--or even can -- "take out" plenty of more people, nations, governments.

Out of curiosity, during Sarajevo bombings did you align yourself with conservatives who said that the US should not be the world's police? I'm curious based upon your resistance to the conservative tag and your current positions.
60 nations ? Nope, I am not advocating invading 60, just a handful eventually.

In regards to Sarajevo, I never followed that conflict that closely, and I know Milosovec was a bastard, but I'm not so sure that the other side was that good either.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2004, 05:21 PM

Signing a bomb is pro-war? Hm.

"250 BILLION" you say? Where'd you get that number, from KerryPoo?
Yes signing bombs is a sick attitude.

The cost for your war will be $250 billion after bush gets his next 70 billion. And that was from CNNpoo.

cold_reality
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2004, 06:48 PM

Whatever it takes.

Agreed if we don't spend the money America might look like this one day...

I'll vote for any president that promises to kill all of the wolves in the world. Timber wolves, Red wolves...all of em.

This is what we are fightin against!

...completely against political racism!

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2004, 06:49 PM

Yes signing bombs is a sick attitude.
We have different opinions, then. I respect yours.

The cost for your war will be $250 billion after bush gets his next 70 billion. And that was from CNNpoo.
Hm. Link? I'd love to read this article.

TIA,
Maury

angaq0k
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 07:21 PM

Oh yeah.

Let's make it a bigger mess!
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

angaq0k
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 07:26 PM

Didn't realize I had a lust for war -- that's news to me. As for your other "point," I'm guessing you're trying to ask why I'm in the military? The answer is simple: my life led me down another path.

Maury
It is rather sad the 14 000 Iraqis paths crossed you indifference and willingness to put your name on the bomb that ended it...
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

angaq0k
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 07:30 PM

[B]We have different opinions, then. I respect yours.

TIA,
Maury
You are in denial and disconnected with reality. Seek Help! Now!

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2004, 07:33 PM

What hurts the Iraqi people are the bombs this money pays for, the soldiers this money pays for, the armour this money pays for and the list goes on.

Reminding those who supported this war what they have caused will hopefully prevent any future invasions that weren't necessary and will hopefully save lives in the long run.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2004, 07:52 PM

[B]We have different opinions, then. I respect yours.

TIA,
Maury
Can't find it but here is the one that mentions 70 billion plus the 30 and 40 billion.

Then keep at mind you have been at this for 3 years and still not caught the most wanted man in the world.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/10/27/war.cost/index.html

angaq0k
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 08:06 PM

Can't find it but here is the one that mentions 70 billion plus the 30 and 40 billion.

Then keep at mind you have been at this for 3 years and still not caught the most wanted man in the world.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/10/27/war.cost/index.html
... and not even the shadow of a WMD...

Good work!!!!

Spend! Spend! Spend! Spend!

(echo)

jbartone
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2004, 08:37 PM

So what's the estimated budget deficit now?

$550 billion?

And I heard you hit your national debt limit too. And Congress haven't changed it.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2004, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
Funny how no one asks questions when Bush wants more cash. Don't get me wrong - I expected that more money is going to be needed for reconstruction, etc. - but why the immediate urge to bend over as soon as Bush says so? Where's the accountability for what we have shoveled out so far? How did the administration arrive at $75 billion? I'd like to better understand the answers to those questions before I decide to "do my part" (whatever that means).

Seems like some are always enthusiastically ready to say yes to Bush, even when they don't know what exactly that entails.
Actually, Congress has made at least a token effort to keep a leash on the administration, which asked for a blank check but was refused because it has repeatedly demonstrated that it can't be trusted and refuses to hold anyone accountable. This is why the administration had to go to Congress about a month ago to get permission to reallocate funds from reconstruction to security, leading a number of, ahem, Republican Senators to use words like "incompetent" to describe the administration's management of the situation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules