Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Secession

Secession
MacManMikeOSX
Senior User
Nov 3, 2004, 06:34 PM

That's all I'm saying, it's not a joke kids, people are talking for real....

mo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2004, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by MacManMikeOSX:
That's all I'm saying, it's not a joke kids, people are talking for real....
I don't see anybody leaving. ... OK, I'll bite: Who is seceding from the Union (I assume you mean)?

PacHead
Baninated
Nov 3, 2004, 06:41 PM

I heard Michael Moore is going to secede. They are going to float him somewhere in the mid-atlantic and it will become the new haven for Al-Qaeda types. Bin Laden has plans to immigrate there.

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2004, 06:42 PM

PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 06:42 PM

Are you talking about your neck of the woods?

I won't stand in the way of Florida secession. Hell, take as much of the south with you as you care to. Considering the current political climate, that just might be the best solution for everyone.

We won't have to get up in your business and you won't foul up ours. Win-Win, I say.

Obviously we'll need to work out some refugee exchanges. We've got some of your people and you've got some of ours. Might be tricky at first but I think we can work it out well enough.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
I heard Michael Moore is going to secede. They are going to float him somewhere in the mid-atlantic and it will become the new haven for Al-Qaeda types. Bin Laden has plans to immigrate there.
Dude, we get it. You've got a hard-on for Michael Moore the likes of which you've never known.

Give it rest already.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by Skip Breakfast:
LOL

PacHead
Baninated
Nov 3, 2004, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:

Give it rest already.
Not a chance. After all of the crap that real Americans have had to hear from Michael Moore and his squads of pathetic fanboys, not a chance.

It is certain sorelosers who need to give it a rest, because I'm cracking up with laughter here. Please stop.

mo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2004, 06:55 PM

Obviously, this secession movement is a big secret, and information is only available on a need-to-know basis.

Sir_Wrinkles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2004, 06:56 PM

Not a chance. After all of the crap that real Americans have had to hear from Michael Moore and his squads of pathetic fanboys, not a chance.

It is certain sorelosers who need to give it a rest, because I'm cracking up with laughter here. Please stop.

I agree with thunderous_funker. There is such a thing as being a 'Gracious Winner.'

angaq0k
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 06:58 PM

LOL

That is such Funny-fiction!!!

aaaah.

(...)

In the meantime, on planet Earth...
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

PacHead
Baninated
Nov 3, 2004, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by Sir_Wrinkles:
I agree with thunderous_funker. There is such a thing as being a 'Gracious Winner.'
I disagree 100%. I respond in kind to the behavior of the whiny losers, and it hardly seems as if they are gracious in their defeat. Screw 'em, I don't give a crap about them or their opinions.

Myrkridia
Senior User
Nov 3, 2004, 07:03 PM

Screw 'em, I don't give a crap about them or their opinions.

Hello Ca$h, long time no see.

anti-sleep
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2004, 07:06 PM

the crap that real Americans have had to hear
I don't give a crap about them or their opinions.
Finally, the true voice of America comes out. How you expect anyone to take your stance seriously escapes me.

PacHead
Baninated
Nov 3, 2004, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by anti-sleep:
Finally, the true voice of America comes out. How you expect anyone to take your stance seriously escapes me.
The true voice of America has come out, and that voice is saying "BUSH !".

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 07:11 PM

I disagree 100%. I respond in kind to the behavior of the whiny losers, and it hardly seems as if they are gracious in their defeat. Screw 'em, I don't give a crap about them or their opinions.
For someone who "doesn't give a crap" you seem almost obsessed with Michael Moore. I've lost count how many times you mentioned him in the last 24 hours.

Talk about jealousy. Is it Mike's money or fame that bothers you so much?

He's richer than you. More famous than you. And he certainly is a helluva lot funnier than you.

Call him all the names you want. Heap as much hate and vitriol on him you want. His next book will be a bestseller just like all his other books. His next film will probably be a hit too.

So again, if you really, honestly don't give a crap then just stop talking about him. Your obsession is unhealthy.

anti-sleep
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2004, 07:13 PM

Wow, good point. I like that a lot because it was completely relevant to what I said and I can see where you're coming from now.

Seriously, what makes you think you have the right to give everyone else your opinions if you're not willing to listen to those disagreeing with you?

PacHead
Baninated
Nov 3, 2004, 07:15 PM

Talk about jealousy. Is it Mike's money or fame that bothers you so much?

He's richer than you. More famous than you. And he certainly is a helluva lot funnier than you.
Osama bin Laden is also richer than me, and Hitler is more famous, your point being ?

I don't like traitors, therefore I do not like M.M., a pretty simple concept to comprehend.

I'll also say whatever I please about him, whenever I please. Freespeech and all you know.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 07:15 PM

Except the 55.4 million Americans who said "KERRY!"

The race is over but the business of working together for the good of everyone in the country goes on. That's how our system works. That is what makes it special. We respect the will of the majortiy vote, but it still takes everyone to get things done.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 07:17 PM

Osama bin Laden is also richer than me, and Hitler is more famous, your point being ?

I don't like traitors, therefore I do not like M.M., a pretty simple concept to comprehend.

I'll also say whatever I please about him, whenever I please. Freespeech and all you know.

Anyone who thinks a filmaker and comedian is a "traitor" for speaking his opinion knows absolutely zero about "Freespeech".

mo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2004, 07:22 PM

I'm really concerned that the secession is now over and I missed it, and now I have to wait for the next secession. Is there a lot of paper work when you do this? (As I recall, there was a lot of paper work in 1861.)

UR-20
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2004, 07:30 PM

Anyone who thinks a filmaker and comedian is a "traitor" for speaking his opinion knows absolutely zero about "Freespeech".
Pachead: Our enemies like freedom of speech too. So they can propagate their hateful
messages to the masses.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 3, 2004, 07:34 PM

That's funny.

itistoday
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 08:05 PM

PURE GENIUS!

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 08:14 PM

i'll add my a nice smile on the eve of destruction_

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2004, 08:18 PM

DAMN! I like it! Go already.

We wanted to do this over 100 years ago, but nooooo....
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2004, 08:21 PM

Ok... *gasp* I'm going to agree with you.

MM isn't a traitor, an over zealous wanker, but not a traitor.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 3, 2004, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 3, 2004, 08:55 PM

I'll drink to that.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 09:07 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/captspastic/Funnies/New_map_WEB.jpg[/img]

(Had to add my )

andi*pandi
Nov 3, 2004, 10:03 PM

Dammit, the plans for secession have been leaked! Aw man, we were going to embargo maple syrup and everything.

( Skip!)

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2004, 08:12 AM

There's talk like this after every election; the losing side always wants to secede for a couple of days. It's never going to happen; no one wants a repeat of the Civil War.
( Last edited by Millennium; Nov 4, 2004 at 08:18 AM. )
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2004, 08:16 AM

It can work, except one thing. The liberals can all pack up and move to Canada and leave all the land. The borders will not change, just the lack of Left wing liberals.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2004, 08:40 AM

You are funny.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2004, 08:56 AM

DAMN! I like it! Go already.

We wanted to do this over 100 years ago, but nooooo....
Nah, 100 years ago you wanted to call it "The Land Where it is OK to Torture and Enslave Black People"

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2004, 11:37 AM

And the Democrats were (and still are) the party of choice for oppressing the black folks.

Some things never change.

Scientist
Senior User
Nov 4, 2004, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
There's talk like this after every election; the losing side always wants to secede for a couple of days. It's never going to happen; no one wants a repeat of the Civil War.
What if the North was more heavily liberal than it really is. Say 97%. And lets say it wanted to succeed. Would G.W. allow this? Would he occupy the North? Would he start another Civil War? What would be his excuse? Abortion? "Free the fetuses!" he might cry...
Is it not reasonable to anticipate that our understanding of the human mind would be aided greatly by knowing the purpose for which it was designed?
-George C. Williams

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2004, 11:40 AM

The South would rise again.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2004, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
Nah, 100 years ago you wanted to call it "The Land Where it is OK to Torture and Enslave Black People"
You do know that less than 1% of the population in the south actually owned slaves, don't you? Unfair taxation and States' rights issues are what started that war, but given the state of our failed liberal school systems, I don't believe you would actuallly know that.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2004, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
The South would rise again.
No, it IS rising again. The election proves it.
- Thomas Paine

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2004, 11:45 AM

No, it IS rising again. The election proves it.
hellyeah!

*whistles Dixie*

Scientist
Senior User
Nov 4, 2004, 11:45 AM

You do know that less than 1% of the population in the south actually owned slaves, don't you? Unfair taxation and States' rights issues are what started that war, but given the state of our failed liberal school systems, I don't believe you would actuallly know that.
Yes, I agree, the Civil War was "wrong�". You can have the South back. Go there; play now.
Is it not reasonable to anticipate that our understanding of the human mind would be aided greatly by knowing the purpose for which it was designed?
-George C. Williams

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2004, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by Scientist:
Yes, I agree, the Civil War was "wrong®". You can have the South back. Go there; play now.
Nobody was ever able to take the south. At least not the north. Today, we control the north. Say hello to Dubya.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2004, 11:51 AM

The liberals have no guns and do not advocate violence.

They can only use baseless rhetoric and inflamatory hate speech.

Oh wait, they already tried that and it didn't work.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2004, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by Scientist:
Yes, I agree, the Civil War was "wrong�". You can have the South back. Go there; play now.
No, we were right, the North just couldn't survive without us and wouldn't allow for the secession to stand. As for slavery, yes, it was terribly wrong, but, there were quite a few slave owners in the North too. It wasn't until long after the Civil War was engaged that the Emancipation Proclamation was rattified. We went to war because the North was squeezing more and more tax dollars from the South unfairly (and unequally), and we as Southerners did not have a fair amount of representation to counter the breach of our rights.

Already here, and I play often.
( Last edited by Shaddim; Nov 4, 2004 at 12:07 PM. )
- Thomas Paine

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2004, 12:06 PM

You should stick to mysticism.

Census data can be appealed to in order to determine the extent of slave ownership in each of the states that allowed it in 1860. The figures given here are the percentage of slave-owning families as a fraction of total free households in the state. The data was taken from a census archive site at the University of Virginia.

Mississippi:
49%

South Carolina:
46%
http://members.aol.com/jfepperson/stat.html

mo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2004, 12:26 PM

We went to war because the North was squeezing more and more tax dollars from the South unfairly (and unequally), and we as Southerners did not have a fair amount of representation to counter the breach of our rights.
What on earth do you mean by that last statement? The South dominated the federal government, particularly through the Senate, in the years between Jackson and Lincoln, to a degree that Northerners complained of the federal "slave power." This is the basis of much of the contemporary argument against extending slavery westward -- not sympathy for slaves per se. At the same, the slaveholding states effectively barred the House of Representatives from even accepting petitions from anti-slavery groups from 1836 to 1844 -- the infamous "gag rule."

You surely understand, also, that constitutionally the slaveholding states actually got some bonus representation built in, since slaves, although not enfranchised, were counted as three-fifths of a human being for the purpose of determining a state�s representation in Congress.

What taxes were being "squeezed" out of the South disproportionate to the North? Are you talking about customs duties, or tariffs, or what?

andi*pandi
Nov 4, 2004, 12:40 PM

Nobody was ever able to take the south. At least not the north.
Atlanta never burned?

dialo
Senior User
Nov 4, 2004, 12:47 PM

And the Democrats were (and still are) the party of choice for oppressing the black folks.
Nice totally racist post. Implied in you statement is that the vast, vast majority of Blacks aren't making informed and intelligent voting decisions.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2004, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by andi*pandi:
Atlanta never burned?
Yep, Sherman murdered more people (civilians) in that one attack than all external forces that have ever attacked the US, combined.
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules