Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Printer Setup Utility

Printer Setup Utility
Douglashh
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2004, 09:26 PM

Every time I run Cocktail to run the cron scripts and repair permissions the Printer Setup Utility creates an alias called Print Center. The alias is in the Utility Folder right next to Printer Setup Utility.

Can anyone tell me how to stop the alias from being created?

Thanks,

Doug

Fredo
Senior User
Nov 12, 2004, 04:54 PM

Don�t use Cocktail. Use Macaroni http://www.atomicbird.com/ for cron scripts, and repair permissions yourself.
Who are the Brain Police?

Bartender
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2004, 09:21 PM

What Mac OS X version are you running? I never heard about this problem, could you set up a new test account to check if the problem occurs even when you are logged in as a test user?

Kristofer Szymanski
Developer of Cocktail

Originally posted by Douglashh:
Every time I run Cocktail to run the cron scripts and repair permissions the Printer Setup Utility creates an alias called Print Center. The alias is in the Utility Folder right next to Printer Setup Utility.

Douglashh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2004, 02:02 PM

Sorry for the delay I've been trying different things to see if I could narrow down the problem. It only happens when I use the Pilot panel to repair permissions. I'm using 10.3.6 but it also happened when I was using 10.3.5. I'm using cocktail 3.4.9.

When I looked at the Permissions Log in the Application Support folder I noticed the following line "Symbolic link ./Applications/Utilities/Print Center.app repaired"

Thanks for looking at this.

Doug

Chris Grande
Senior User
Nov 13, 2004, 02:17 PM

Apple in one of the 10.3.x releases added a symbolic link called Print Center.app that links to Printer Setup Utility.app. They did this because the name change in 10.3 broke some badly written printer drivers so they added that link to fix the problem. So if you delete it it will be recreated when you run repair permissions.
( Last edited by Chris Grande; Nov 13, 2004 at 09:55 PM. )

Douglashh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2004, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the explanation.

Doug

Forum Links
Forum Rules