Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Upgrade from 10.2.8 to 10.4

Upgrade from 10.2.8 to 10.4
mamalovesyou
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2005, 04:02 AM

Dear All

I have just bought Tiger (and some more RAM) and am now having problems with install. It gets to the point of installing and alerts me that an error has occured and I should restart. This has happened three times and I am lost for ideas.

I'm not keen on the erase and install as I have freelance work that is too large for CD's and I am too poor after my RAM and Tiger to buy hardware, so would prefer to archive and install.

I have double and triple checked that I have the requirements - any hidden/unknown suggestions as to why it won't let me install.

Thanks you all in advance.

d.fine
Mac Elite
May 7, 2005, 04:45 AM

Have you repaired permissions before attempting an install? Use Disk Utility to repair the volume, and I'd make some kind of backup, just to be on the safe side. Do you have an external hard drive, or can you use an external dvd-writer from a friend?
Otherwise wait for more reply's

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2005, 04:58 AM

You probably have a drive issue: Buy Disk Warrior.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mamalovesyou  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2005, 05:45 AM

Thank you - I haven't tried these issues. I will have a go at them and see if it helps. I will back-up the most precious work to my webspace for the short term and take a chance with the others.

If anybody else has suggestions I'd be very grateful.
mamalovesyou.com

mamalovesyou  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2005, 04:30 PM

Further to my problems with Tiger, I have tried the above and neither worked. DiskWarrior says that it cannot rebuild a drive that it is located on and disk utility says there are errors and I need to repair. when I repair it also finds errors and stops, so I am now lost.

Please please help me, I have Tiger and RAM and no home for it.

Thank you
mamalovesyou.com

James41
May 7, 2005, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by mamalovesyou
Dear All

I have just bought Tiger (and some more RAM) and am now having problems with install. It gets to the point of installing and alerts me that an error has occured and I should restart. This has happened three times and I am lost for ideas.

I'm not keen on the erase and install as I have freelance work that is too large for CD's and I am too poor after my RAM and Tiger to buy hardware, so would prefer to archive and install.

I have double and triple checked that I have the requirements - any hidden/unknown suggestions as to why it won't let me install.

Thanks you all in advance.
You didn't say just what mac you had. My advise would be to go and upgrade to 10.3.9 if your not already there and then do a repair of permissions and run all the clean up scripts. Then reboot and put in the Tiger disk. If you want to save all your old settings and stuff just do an "Upgrade" and it will keep everything intact.

Do you have the new ram in? Perhaps there is a problem there, try taking the new ram out and doing the install.
PowerMac G5 - 2.0 4 1/2 Gig Ram - Tiger 10.4.2
30" Apple Monitor - LaCie d2 Tripple 320 Gig
iMac G5 1.8 1 1/2 Gig Ram 20" - Tiger 10.4.2
Amd64 - Gamer - Water cooled

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2005, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by James41
You didn't say just what mac you had. My advise would be to go and upgrade to 10.3.9 if your not already there and then do a repair of permissions and run all the clean up scripts. Then reboot and put in the Tiger disk. If you want to save all your old settings and stuff just do an "Upgrade" and it will keep everything intact.

Do you have the new ram in? Perhaps there is a problem there, try taking the new ram out and doing the install.
Why would he buy Panther just to upgrade to Tiger? He is running 10.2.8, and to upgrade to 10.3.9 would require purchasing Panther, and that would be just silly.

JustinHoMi
Forum Regular
May 7, 2005, 08:17 PM

I would strongly recommend doing a clean install. I attempted to upgrade from 10.2.8 to 10.4 and it ended up ruining the partition table on the drive. So far I have been unable to recover any of my data.

If you don't have a backup solution, you need one anyways. Get yourself an external firewire drive and copy everything to it before you do the clean install.

Justin

James41
May 7, 2005, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by gururafiki
Why would he buy Panther just to upgrade to Tiger? He is running 10.2.8, and to upgrade to 10.3.9 would require purchasing Panther, and that would be just silly.
Arrghh...my old eyes missed the 2 i read it as a 3...sorry about that would indeed be a stupid move... I guess i better set the resolution back a bit looks like i need bigger text... i'm not used to this 2560 x 1600 resolution, text is to darn small...

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2005, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by James41
i'm not used to this 2560 x 1600 resolution, text is to darn small...

Jeez. I'm kind of young and I can't see that small!

James41
May 8, 2005, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by gururafiki

Jeez. I'm kind of young and I can't see that small!
You could on an Apple Cinima 30" display... very clear and crisp and on most forums easy to read, on this one however for some reason the text is way smaller than usual. Nice and clear, just very small, looks like about 5 or 6 point. I have problems with anything under 12.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
May 8, 2005, 09:49 AM

It might be your new RAM that's giving you the problem.

Fredo
Senior User
May 8, 2005, 12:37 PM

� DiskWarrior says that it cannot rebuild a drive that it is located on�.
Mount the DiskWarrior disk. Restart holding down the c key. Good luck!
Who are the Brain Police?

NeilCharter
Senior User
May 8, 2005, 02:20 PM

Try the following:

1. Pull out any third party ram, any other cards you have installed (if it is a tower). Disconnect any peripherals that you have connected by firewire or usb.

You should really backup as many files as possible anyway before you try to install Tiger

Repeat the install. If this fails you will probably have to do a clean install.

2. You could try rebooting with the Tiger disk and running the disk utility app there to try and clean up your hard-drive. disk warrior can probably do the same.

3. If you can backup everything, a clean install after reformatting the drive with the disk utility is the best way to install because all the bad sectors will be identified on your drive.

Good luck. I found I had to reformat my drive before Tiger installed properly. But then I have an old g4 sawtooth with an upgraded processor, video card and hard-drives
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

mamalovesyou  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2005, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the advice - this is really helpful.

What I have decided is to buy an external hard drive when I get paid and move everything over and do a clean install. It will be the first time since I bought the iBook and could really do with it.

I still have OS 9.2 on my HD with 10.2.8 and would like to start a fresh.
mamalovesyou.com

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2005, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Fredo
� DiskWarrior says that it cannot rebuild a drive that it is located on�.
Mount the DiskWarrior disk. Restart holding down the c key. Good luck!
What this means is you need to boot from the DiskWarrior CD. After doing that Run Diskwarrior again and it should be all good.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Forum Links
Forum Rules