Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod Nano playing Video

iPod Nano playing Video
waxcrash
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2005, 12:03 AM

f1000
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2005, 01:03 AM

HA, I knew it!

BurpetheadX
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2005, 10:17 PM

www.marcushesse.com

UNC-Charlotte Apple Campus Rep.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2005, 03:56 PM

how bout

<insert timeline here>
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

quiklee
Senior User
Dec 22, 2005, 04:25 PM

holy crap . . . . . where's the instructions? i wonder how pissed SJ's gonna be!
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2005, 01:32 PM

The Website it's linked from doesn't reveal anything, the site says that the Nano is running linux. I'm Impressed. I wonder if that means that the regular Photo could be taught to play a new trick too?
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 23, 2005, 04:13 PM

While this is interesting and all, it's not like these guys have gotten the nano to play videos from the iTunes music store or anything (at least not without lots of conversion). The quality looks pretty bad, since the screen is much lower resolution than the normal iPod. Also, you have to be running linux on your iPod and you're limited to the nano's 2 or 4GB storage space, so you're not going to be fitting a whole lot of stuff there anyway.

In short, while this is an impressive display of ingenuity, I don't think that very many people will be actually using this to play videos on a daily basis.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2005, 05:57 PM

Not to mention that battery life will suffer greatly; I notice that use of the backlight on the nano impacts the battery life a lot more than on my 3G iPod...
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2005, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor
The Website it's linked from doesn't reveal anything, the site says that the Nano is running linux. I'm Impressed. I wonder if that means that the regular Photo could be taught to play a new trick too?
iPod photo's have already been seen to do this, in much the same way. IE with Nerdlux installed. It was posted here a few months back.
So i guess the procedure is much the same for the Nano's then..
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

ciphun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2005, 08:43 PM

The first thing that jumped out at me was the fact that there was sound with this video playing and there were no headphones plugged up to the nano. Explain why the sound would be heard and nothing connected to the nano to output that sound?

Now maybe I am wrong, but I think this was a joke.

ciphun
peace,

ciphun

Toyin
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2005, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by ciphun
The first thing that jumped out at me was the fact that there was sound with this video playing and there were no headphones plugged up to the nano. Explain why the sound would be heard and nothing connected to the nano to output that sound?

Now maybe I am wrong, but I think this was a joke.

ciphun
The nano's sound jack is on the bottom of the unit. The video didn't include the bottom half.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

f1000
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2005, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by ciphun
How can you tell that from the video? A Nano's connectors are along the bottom edge of the device, and not along the top edge.

EDIT: Toyin beat me to it.

Mafoo
Dec 24, 2005, 12:55 PM

The problem with the ipod linux video player is that at the moment you need to convert the video to an uncompressed avi format. What we need is a concerted effort to gather sufficient interest that competent developers want to spend their time porting an opensource decoder/player package such as Mplayer or VLC to the ipod/linux platform. It could be hard geting usable performance, concidering that only the new video ipod has a dedicated video decoding chip.

I throw it out to the community, does anyone have too much free time!?

--mafoo

jeebus
Dec 24, 2005, 05:47 PM

Not to mention the fact that you are really running linux and playing a video using that OS. It would be much more impressive if they were able to get the nano to play video from within the iPod's normal interface, much like an actual iPod video.

cvela
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2006, 07:34 PM

When I connected my Nano for the first time (I ordered mine the same day it came out), iTunes showed an option for video. I thought it would be for future use but when I upgraded to the iTunes version that had video support, the option went away...

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2006, 07:50 PM

anyone actualy know how to do that

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2006, 12:02 AM

Still kind of funny that they got it to work. Too bad it'll never be a real option. Someone said it best that the quality sucks as well as battery life.

Forum Links
Forum Rules