Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9.1 and starting up with firewire cdrw

9.1 and starting up with firewire cdrw
pete
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2001, 11:03 PM

When I start up with the burner plugged in the computer hangs. If I plug it in afterwards it's fine. What could it be?

Thanks

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 25, 2001, 04:10 AM

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2001, 12:46 PM

Thanks. I think I wasn't clear. I have two problems:
1. When a firewire cdrw is just plugged in the computer hangs at startup and I must unplug it and restart to boot.
2. When the computer has booted and I turn off the firewire cdrw, it freezes and I have to reboot.

Any idea?

cjpainter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2001, 05:55 AM

What model, system software, firewire cd/rw are you using? Unless you give us some more information we don't know what to tell you. It could be software or hardware related.
CJPainter

Fredo
Senior User
Jan 27, 2001, 04:56 PM

Power up your Mac and FireWire drive before plugging in drive. Unplug drive before turning off. Inelegant, but functional.
Who are the Brain Police?

Exizl
Jan 27, 2001, 06:54 PM

Im actually having a similar problem. I've a PowerMac G4 450 w/ a LaCie FireWire CD-RW with a PlexWriter 8x/4x/32x drive in it. I had this problem with both 9.0.4 and 9.1. What happens is the computer starts up fine (Extensions and what-not load properly), but then once the finder and all starts loading, it crashes hard. I've found that you can indeed leave the CD-RW plugged into the firewire port, just make sure that its turned off when you start up the computer. I couldn't find anything over at LaCie's site about it...

ee
Jan 27, 2001, 08:41 PM

I have a QPS FireWire drive and I have not experienced any problems. I would suggest that you turn off any extensions that relate to firewire, then turn them on one at a time until you find a conflict.

cjpainter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2001, 10:54 PM

I also have a Plextor firewire drive in a QPS case attached to a G4/400 and have had no problems under 9.0.4 or 9.1. ee's suggestion to check your extensions may be the ticket.

You could also check the MacFixit forums for information on this issue.

Craig

[This message has been edited by cjpainter (edited 01-27-2001).]
CJPainter

Tai Kahn
Jan 28, 2001, 01:49 PM

OK, heres the fix(es).

1) Remove the Lacie or APS or *ANY* 3rd party firewire driver and use the built in 9.1 drivers... they work fine.

2) The CDRW drivers are /should be non existant therefore you ONLY need Toast Firewire Enabler and Toast CD Reader installed in your Extensions folder...

I have had this same issue... I am using 9.1 and Toast 4.1.2 and it works great... BUT YOU HAVE TO DITCH ANY 3rd PARTY FIREWIRE DRIVER(S). (Bad drivers actually create a Firewire "bus" of there own and cause the "Apple Firwire Bus" to crash when it has something on it of the same type that the "original bad driver" was for.).

Exizl
Jan 28, 2001, 10:16 PM

Yes! You're absolutely right, Tai. Thanks.
-Exizl

Forum Links
Forum Rules