Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > I Love my Cube

I Love my Cube
Eugene Fields
Sep 20, 2001, 11:36 PM

The Defacto most beautifull machine for computing ever developed. Having had the 20th Aniversary, The Cube with requisite Flat Panel is the most pleasing machine to use ever devised for personal computing. A Tour de Force fo engineering and Style. Adored by anyone lucky enough to possess one.

Oh Yes 10.1 ROCKS - behave

Now g64Cube/450/1.2gb- oh yeah

[ 09-20-2001: Message edited by: Eugene Fields ]
"Recent history is the record of a vast conspiracy to
impose one level of mechanical consciousness on mankind."
Allen Ginsberg

stepson
Sep 20, 2001, 11:50 PM

Preach on brother!

I love my cube as well! Silent computing ... well, it rocks! Under my desk i have a duron pc, 600mhz, overclocked to 950 ... it has 11 fans... even the northbridge on the motherboard has a fan .. its loud, and it actually never used to bother me ... until i started using my cube ... now i only turn it only if i need to run some linux app remotely (OSX rocks in that regard. I can just switch over to a full screen X environment, and (slowly) run apps that way. Good for gnutella, for when i want more mp3s). I think I'm going to buy that new 80gig IDE disk from seagate that is supposed to be super quiet ... I've already added 1.5 gig of ram, and a geforce2 mx 400. Who says the cube isn't upgradable .

10.1 also does rock ... 5G48 on the cube is a great, although i wish the menus were a bit faster ... I hope the retail 10.1 is even better! 10.1 really makes me wish i could program .. I wish they'd make some perl API's for OSX . Well, who knows, maybe someone will... i' have a few cool ideas for services i'd like to do ...

But anyway, the cube rocks! I hope they bring it back as a special edition like they said ... i'd buy another one in a heart beat!

-stepson
G4 Cube 450/1.5gig/20gig/OSX/sony digital firewire/usb camera

CubieDubbie
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2001, 01:19 AM

The Cube was and is a great computer, though most likely it is now dead. But, there is always a possibility it will come back in some form. For me, I use mine as a server with Appleshare. It manages to do just fine at this task. Take care and enjoy and love your Cubes!!!

Leonis
Senior User
Sep 21, 2001, 01:54 AM

BTW...does anyone know where I can find the cube case????

I don't need the other guts....all I want is the case....to replace my tissue box
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

sMACk
Sep 21, 2001, 02:19 AM

I gotta throw in with yall. The problem is that I sold my tower for a cube and can't imagine ever going back! As excited as I am about the G5 chips coming (someday) I can't see down-grading my cube for a oversized, noisey tower...PLEASE Apple...give me something I can upgrade to!!!!! The cube has spoiled me

MacFan
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2001, 07:06 AM

The cube is definately a great machine. The timing was bad and the feature set perhaps a little limited but it is definately a superior machine to a lot of stuff out there.

Pure silence, great stability in my experience. OS X runs great and 10.1 will be even better!

Even though I may pick up a G5 when they eventually come out my cube will always have a safe place on my desk.

michaelb
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2001, 08:31 AM

I put an IBM 60GXP (7200 rpm) drive - currently spec'd as one of the fastest on the market - in my Cube. It's now a nimble little devil!

(Most people don't realise just how much a fast drive can add to the overall computing experience. An example: it shaved 20 secs off the startup time over the stock drive. Apps launch faster, Photoshop goes through its prefs dance quicker, and large images fly open.)

Lots of memory and a fast drive - that's the trick! Particularly for Mac OS X which thrives on both RAM and fast disk access.

Cooter
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2001, 02:15 PM

I gotta say, I loved my Cube dearly, but seeing what they were going for on eBay, I sold mine I figured the 867G4 would ease my pain, but damn is that sucker LOUD! I was used to my nice quiet refuge in my home office. Now it sounds like I'm doing wind tunnel testing in there. Oye!

I had my 450 Cube jacked up with 1.5GB of RAM and a nice new 7200rpm HD and when I got my new 867 I found that under OSX it actually was running slower with 128MB of RAM than my Cube with 1.5GB. Needless to say, the 867 is gonna get a new 512CL2 stick a month until I can max this baby back out. Its almost annoying its so slow in OSX. HELLO? Mr. MHz, where are you!?!

AND I have my Tower in my desk and the air in the cabinet gets might warm even with that fan churing. Looks like it will have to come out of the desk onto the desktop. So I guess I'll have to prepare for MORE noise and LESS desktop space.

Come one Apple, bring the Cube back (without a plastic chassis- titanium preferably) with a .13SOI and copper G4 running at 1GHz and a SuperDrive. I promise, I'll be back in the fold.
"People who sacrifice essential liberty for a little temporary safety deserve neither." -Benjamin Franklin

zacharie
Sep 21, 2001, 05:52 PM

I don't find the Cube very silent; maybe because mine is fitted with a Radeon. I should switch to a geforce2 but is it a really good idea...

stepson
Sep 22, 2001, 01:12 AM

my cube has a geforce2 mx 400 (ok ok, i'm sure you're all sick of seeing me post that, but hey! I'm proud ). It works great, is totally silent, and was intended for a PC. If you don't play games, you could always switch to a rage 128 ...

zacharie
Sep 22, 2001, 07:26 AM

I am curious to know how you switch from the 128 rage to the geforce 2. do you have the same connectors on your geforce 2? I have a studio display with adc connectors..

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Sep 22, 2001, 09:15 AM

My Cube ranks as the best machine I've ever used. Don't know why, hard to put finger on it, but the thought of switching to a tower is incredibly unappealing to me. I am hoping against hope that either a) Apple brings it back when we get some new faster chips with lower heat dissipation, i.e. whatever's on tap for Powerbooks in the next 6 months or so, or b)some brave soul offers an upgrade card with some of the aforementioned chips.

Sad thing is, I don't think it'll happen, and in 6-9 months we'll have the kind of machines out there that'll just force me to upgrade, like a dual g5 above 1.5Ghz or something.

<mtra>
Sep 22, 2001, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by zacharie:
<STRONG>I don't find the Cube very silent; maybe because mine is fitted with a Radeon. I should switch to a geforce2 but is it a really good idea... </STRONG>
my cube have a radeon without any noise ! just unplugged the fan. Until now i've no problem.

slider
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2001, 11:14 AM

I am the proud owner of a 867HHz G4, I love it. However, before I bought it I was really having a hard time deciding which one to get a Cube or a Tower. When I was ready to make my purchase Apple had pretty much made the decision for me. What was my biggest hang up on weather or not to get a Cube? Well it was, like most people, the price. I was taken back by the size and beauty of this machine. If they bring it back, they should market it a little differently, and lower the price. Put it on par with the iMac not the towers, an iMac with the optional Display size with easy to get to insides. I don't think anyone ever said the Cube was not upgradeable, it was not expandable, at least internally.

Milo Waye
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2001, 05:24 AM

Originally posted by sMACk:
<STRONG>I gotta throw in with yall. The problem is that I sold my tower for a cube and can't imagine ever going back! As excited as I am about the G5 chips coming (someday) I can't see down-grading my cube for a oversized, noisey tower...PLEASE Apple...give me something I can upgrade to!!!!! The cube has spoiled me </STRONG>
Same way here. Before I got my Cube, I'd returned a DP 450 that (fortunately) came with a bad power switch or something that I discovered within the 30 day return period. It was the noisiest damn thing. At that noise level I can't imagine a computer fast enough for me to want to trade in the Cube's blissful silence.

stepson
Sep 23, 2001, 07:58 PM

mtra,
If you have a studio display and want to upgrade from a rage 128, you'll need a mac radeon or a mac geforce2 .... I use a viewsonic 19inch CRT, so I just use the VGA port.

<Lawrence>
Sep 24, 2001, 11:50 AM

I also have a cube with a Radeon card + the annoying fan noise... Has anyone else tried unplugging the fan, this sounds dangerous... will the card shut down before it overheats?

Lawrenceg

<mtra>
Sep 25, 2001, 07:32 AM

Originally posted by stepson:
<STRONG>mtra,
If you have a studio display and want to upgrade from a rage 128, you'll need a mac radeon or a mac geforce2 .... I use a viewsonic 19inch CRT, so I just use the VGA port. </STRONG>
in this case.. OK

<mtra>
Sep 25, 2001, 07:37 AM

Originally posted by &lt;Lawrence&gt;:
<STRONG>I also have a cube with a Radeon card + the annoying fan noise... Has anyone else tried unplugging the fan, this sounds dangerous... will the card shut down before it overheats?

Lawrenceg</STRONG>
I'v heard that the first BTO radeon have no fan (for G4 tower)
anybody can confirm?

scribe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2001, 01:09 AM

Hey! I'm up for a cube love-fest any time. I had mixed feelings about Apple discontinuing the Cube. One one hand, I want to share the love. On the other, I sort of like being stingy with it! They gotta come out with something that's a suitable successor (not the current towers!) so I can actually upgrade at some point (in the distant future)

Forum Links
Forum Rules