Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook CD burning errors!!!

Macbook CD burning errors!!!
neverskatewsandles
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2007, 10:10 PM

I dont know if i put this in the right forum sorry if i didnt but i have a core duo macbook with a super drive that keeps throwing cd burning error messages at me. I keep getting messages like laser cannot calibrate the right speed for this medium and this medium is incorect please discard disk. Is it a software problem or should i get it taken care of under warenty.
2ghz macbook /120gb hd ,1gb ram, superdrive/iwork

Sethro
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2007, 09:39 PM

I think it depends on what kind of burning software your using. Some people have reported success with using the built in disk utility that comes bundled with all Mac's or you can use third party solutions like Roxio Toast.

Also have you run a hardware test and completed Verifying your disk permissions?

neverskatewsandles  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2007, 10:40 PM

im having trouble just using itunes and im not sure how to run that test

Sethro
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2007, 04:52 PM

I've heard from alot of people that Apple has a reputation for using very sensitive burning drives like the Matshita and Lite-On drives that it currently packs into both the consumer level Macbook and the Macbook Pro.

What I would do is try buying a another brand of CD-RW or DVD-R's depending on which ever medium your burning to, try going for a Sony re-writable disk.

You can perform a hardware check by inserting the restore disk that you got when you purchased the Macbook, insert it into the drive and restart. When you computer is about to boot up, press and hold the "D" key.

If its a hardware problem take it back to the Apple store and they should be able to replace to drive or at-least fix the problem in the old drive.

Good Luck

turntabletux
Aug 14, 2007, 07:13 PM

I've heard from alot of people that Apple has a reputation for using very sensitive burning drives
I have noticed that my Macbook superdrive is very sensitive. For instance, if I start a burning process and move my Macbook it will output both an error and the disc. I hopefully will be buying an external drive sooner or later.

MacBook Core 2 Duo 2GHZ 1GB of RAM

neverskatewsandles  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2007, 12:31 PM

See the thing is this has never happened before. I have been using these cds since i got my macbook almost a year ago with no problem.

ibook_steve
Aug 16, 2007, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by turntabletux View Post
I have noticed that my Macbook superdrive is very sensitive. For instance, if I start a burning process and move my Macbook it will output both an error and the disc. I hopefully will be buying an external drive sooner or later.
Why in the world would you move your computer while burning? That's just asking for trouble. I usually try to avoid even using the machine while burning.

Steve

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2007, 05:35 PM

Sounds like a hardware issue.

Laser alignment hardware is very fine and can go out of whack, especially on laptops that get carried around a lot.

This precise issue is one reason I recommend an extended warranty for laptops; it is not traceable to external damage or abuse, but can show up even under "normal" laptop use, and is thus generally covered under warranty.

My 12" Powerbook at some point refused to accept certain types of media, but worked fine with others. This was the problem

turntabletux
Aug 20, 2007, 05:28 PM

Why in the world would you move your computer while burning? That's just asking for trouble. I usually try to avoid even using the machine while burning.
It's not like I'm playing catch with my Macbook. I was just talking about moving it from one spot on the desk to another or from my lap to the table. I usually don't use my Mac while burning either.

MacBook Core 2 Duo 2GHZ 1GB of RAM

ibook_steve
Aug 21, 2007, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by turntabletux View Post
It's not like I'm playing catch with my Macbook. I was just talking about moving it from one spot on the desk to another or from my lap to the table. I usually don't use my Mac while burning either.
That's still more than enough movement to affect laser alignment while burning. And your lap is certainly not very stable compared to a table.

Steve

Socky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2007, 02:23 AM

My MB has done the same thing, after only 3ish months of owning it. It was working one day, then the burner just completely stopped the next. I have to travel to an Apple store in the next few weeks (5 hours away) to get it fixed.

neverskatewsandles  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2007, 01:18 PM

Well I ran the test with my apple instal disk and I have no hardware issues. but i was wondering can I try to clean the laser with a regular cd cleaning disk with the bristles or with that get stuck or damage the drive?

ramcosca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2007, 09:08 PM

Mine stops recording even if I leave it on the floor, on a table, anywhere.

Forum Links
Forum Rules