Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > "Out of the Ordinary" Food You've Tried

"Out of the Ordinary" Food You've Tried
ghporter
Administrator
Oct 17, 2007, 05:11 PM

In an effort to get a potentially interesting subject restarted, I'd like to know what sorts of "interesting" food folks have tried, why they tried it, and the situation involved. I'll start.

My parents took my wife and me to an Ethiopian restaurant in Detroit once. This was in the late '80s and the huge famine in Ethiopia was pretty well all over the press. We were curious and willing to be "culturally open" with this experience. It was great! Really great! It's been quite a while, and I don't remember any names, but it was really good-it reminded me of Middle Eastern and Mediterranean foods. This was our visit home before our son was born, and it was kind of like "being shown the sights."

In 1988 or '89, a bunch of us visited a restaurant in Panama City, Panama called Las Cascadas. It specialized in seafood and I was induced to try a dish called ceviche (spelling?). It's shredded fish that's pickled in a variety of hot and sour materials, sort of like kimche, but with fish. Raw fish. It was...interesting. We were stationed there (yes, it was pretty sucky to be there at that time), and a friend was there temporarily for a week or so, and we thought highly of the restaurant so we took her there.

Oh yeah, some time earlier, probably 1979 or '80, the very first Thai food I ever tried was Thai boiled crawfish. So good and SO HOT!!!! I think it took me several hours to stop sweating and it was worth every minute. This was in an office party, and my boss' wife was basically a Thai war bride, so out of courtesy I tried her food-several times!

Who's next?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2007, 05:29 PM

Let see....

duck blood (congealed into a loaf, then cut into slices)
pig intestines
chicken hearts
goat testicles
dog
tripe
rattlesnake
duck brain

Probably a lot of others too that I can't remember. Not weird for a lot of people, but black pudding and white pudding are a common appearance on my breakfast plate (at least during rugby season when I spend my mornings in the pub ).

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2007, 05:30 PM

Natto. Fermented soy beans.

A Japanese gf introduced this to me. Natto smells bad, is a pain to manipulate because it's sticky and gooey, and it has an unusual taste that you will either love or throw up in disgust.

I've since eaten it inside an omelete, in a nabe (A Japanese stew of sorts), and just love the stuff.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2007, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Let see....

duck blood (congealed into a loaf, then cut into slices)
pig intestines
chicken hearts
goat testicles
dog
tripe
rattlesnake
duck brain

Probably a lot of others too that I can't remember. Not weird for a lot of people, but black pudding and white pudding are a common appearance on my breakfast plate (at least during rugby season when I spend my mornings in the pub ).
maybe you'd know which animal 'sweet bread' (aka brains) is from.
sheep? calf? I forgot... but I ate it years ago.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2007, 05:42 PM

i went to go look for a pciture of deep fried roaches and turantula (both i have eatten, and i must say, they are kinda yummy) and found this youtube video
YouTube - Weird Food

I've also done tripe a couple times, snake, drunkin shrimp (not that strange, but interesting when they go down) 100 year old egg. when one goes to china and japan and has friends that know where to get the "good stuff" you get to experience some very interesting foods.

oh, and many other types of insects

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2007, 05:44 PM

Ostrich Sausages Had them at breakfast a few times in Australia in 2001. Not sure if it was something often enjoyed there, or more of a "lets sell it to tourists" sort of deal, but it was pretty good, albeit a bit dry.

Ajvar (Croatian: Eggplant, Peppers, and more... in a paste) is great. A staple there, for bread, sandwiches, and meat dishes. Can be almost sweet, or very spicy... I love the stuff, but have a hard time finding it around here!

Lots of Middle Eastern food while in Israel and the West Bank, some good Arab food in Southern Spain, as well as some excellent Spanish food too Some good seafood, real Gazpacho soup, and the awesome different plates of things at the Tapas (Not Topless!) Bars.

Probably had the best Chicken-tacos in Belize that I have ever had, but didn't care for much of the other food there :-/
yep.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2007, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
In an effort to get a potentially interesting subject restarted, I'd like to know what sorts of "interesting" food folks have tried, why they tried it, and the situation involved. I'll start.

My parents took my wife and me to an Ethiopian restaurant in Detroit once. This was in the late '80s and the huge famine in Ethiopia was pretty well all over the press. We were curious and willing to be "culturally open" with this experience. It was great! Really great! It's been quite a while, and I don't remember any names, but it was really good-it reminded me of Middle Eastern and Mediterranean foods. This was our visit home before our son was born, and it was kind of like "being shown the sights."
Ethiopian food isn't "out of the ordinary." Ethiopian restaurants have been popping up all over the country.

There's a reason for that, though - it's really good.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2007, 06:22 PM

Lived a bit off of the land in Alaska for several months, until it got so cold I was pretty sure I was going to die, but I did hunt and eat a great many fish, birds and animals. Cooking them was unfortunately pretty much the same deal, skin 'em, cut loose meaty parts that looked like they would make a meal, then grill them over a fire. Sounds more fun than it was! It is amazing what you will tolerate when you are hungry.

natnabour
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2007, 06:29 PM

I'm so glad being vegetarian limits my opportunities for ''weird food''.

Ethiopian food is absolutely amazing and extremely spicey.
Morrocan food is also quite interesting.

Back in my meat eating days though, I had snake, ostrich, boiled octopus, frog legs, and escargo. Although, I must say the STRANGEST and most traumatizing experience was having lobster sashimi when the lobster decided to.....crawl off the plate. poor guy....

paul w
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2007, 06:44 PM

The spongy crepe-like injera is pretty much unique. In fact Ethiopian food is easily the most interesting food from the East of Africa, which is culinarily kind of poor. I'm not surprised that it's popping up everywhere - there are large communities of Ethiopians in places like DC, Minneapolis, etc...

Also besides making some rpetty decent beer and excellent coffee, they have a tasty local honey liquor called Tej. Very unique.

Speaking of Ethiopia, the weirdest meal I had was with Somalis in Western Ethiopia. There nothing easy about eating spaghetti with tomato sauce from a big communal plate with one hand, sort of folding it into a small ball and popping it into your mouth without somehow not making a total mess. That got old afer a few times since it was that like every day, with goat meat, someime rice with tomato sauce also and soup. Also they'd throw a banana in the mix just because. Odd meal...

angaq0k
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2007, 08:52 PM

My experiences are probably not exceptional.

Although sushi is quite popular (and I have tried many type), I also have experienced the following:

raw, frozen Arctic char, served on cardboard
raw trout, fresh out the water
raw reindeer (in a gymnasium, 50 fresh carcasses of reindeer served for lunch, is quite a sight)
raw narwhal (the whale with one single long tooth)
raw beluga (white whale)
raw trout eyes (children would offer them to me, by genuine share)

All these foods were within the Inuit culture of Nunavik.

Almost had beaver, black bear meat. The opportunity was missed.

I also had frozen BigMacs, again, amongst the Inuit.

The whale meat In had was usually dried (not smoked) and taste fowl at first, but was quickly delicious, after a few bites.
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2007, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by angaq0k View Post
My experiences are probably not exceptional.

Although sushi is quite popular (and I have tried many type), I also have experienced the following:

raw, frozen Arctic char, served on cardboard
raw trout, fresh out the water
raw reindeer (in a gymnasium, 50 fresh carcasses of reindeer served for lunch, is quite a sight)
raw beluga (white whale)
raw trout eyes (children would offer them to me, by genuine share)

All these foods were within the Inuit culture of Nunavik.

I also had frozen BigMacs, again, amongst the Inuit.

The whale meat In had was usually dried (not smoked) and taste fowl at first, but was quickly delicious, after a few bites.
Mmm, I've had every one of those when I lived in Alaska except Beluga. Also had a polar bear. Other than that, I've not eaten anything exceptionally weird.

Edit: I forgot I've had caribou burgers too. Those were pretty good.
( Last edited by imitchellg5; Oct 17, 2007 at 09:41 PM. )

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2007, 09:45 PM

Cobra
Eel
Octopus
Cannot remember the name of the crab. It's only found one week a year in the waters near Zhuhai. It's full of eggs, but when cooked, they turn into an orange paste that's quite good. They run around $50 US per crab.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2007, 10:04 PM

I must say you guys know how to live. Keeping kosher all my life I have never been tempted by a cheeseburger, but I would love to try some of the things mentioned above.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2007, 10:06 PM

not to be insesitive,just curios. but do you actually do the two sets of baking ware thing?

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2007, 11:20 PM

For you vegetarians (I am not, but like all of these):

Puffball
Wild leeks
Skunk cabbage root
Cat tail root
Cow slips
Sumac tea
dandelion greens

I grew up on a farm where we butchered many types of meat, plus we were hunters of deer, pheasant, partridge, squirrel, duck, turkey, and went "froggin" in the summer for our own frog legs, plus turtle isn't too bad either. The above "vegetables" were gathered from the wild on the farm. I didn't mention the wild horseradish root that was used to make our own sinus clearing horseradish. We also caught and ate a lot of fish. Any mushroom lovers would like the puffball, a large white round fungus up to a foot in diameter. It was sliced and fried, large enough for the main course, but usually had some meat with it. We cured and smoked our own hams and bacon also. Tripe, sweet breads, head cheese, liver, heart (pickled and sliced deer heart makes a great sandwich meat) were common. And i like my liver cooked RARE.
macforray

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2007, 11:24 PM

I forgot the following:

Alligator, bear, moose and rattlesnake here in the states
Kangaroo and Emu in Australia
"I'm not sure what, but it was meat" in Ghana
macforray

Railroader
Banned
Oct 17, 2007, 11:25 PM

Alligator
Live minnows
Shark tacos
Earth worms
Crickets in chocolate
Huitlacoche - moldy corn, which was quite daring on my part as I am allergic to mold

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2007, 12:25 AM

Yes, I like beaver as well.

Sorry. Had to be said.

On a more serious note...
Lots of different sushi
Alligator
Octopus
Emu
Oysters

Edit - forgot... rattlesnake, buffalo (though not that weird), beef tongue (also not really that weird).
ï£ż

black bear theory
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2007, 12:26 AM

sea urchin gonads
seal
whale
guinea pig
Earth First! we'll mine the other planets later.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2007, 12:31 AM

Oh, yeah. I did have sea urchin at a restaurant in Washington DC once. Once. Pretty gross.
ï£ż

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2007, 12:35 AM

"uni" is very good. i'm mostly a texture eater; and "uni" is a great great sushi

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2007, 01:59 AM

Haven't we had this thread before? I'm sure this subject pops up every now and again.

I really don't consider Emu, Kangaroo or Goat that uncommon anymore since I have it so often, but I'm sure most of you do Does anyone consider Oysters weird? I mean, sure they're alive and all, but... And Eel and Octopus surely is just standard seafood. Come on people!

So far nonhuman, wins this thread. Now for the things I've had that I think "out of the ordinary"...

Frog is great, but very bony. Whale is tough and oily. Not my favourite. Sea Urchin Gonards are like eating the ocean itself... very very salty. I've had cow heart and tounge as well. Horse sausages are delicious.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [â™Ĵ] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Oct 18, 2007, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I forgot I've had caribou burgers too. Those were pretty good.
That reminds me-while in junior high a friend's dad went moose hunting, and wound up with LOTS of meat. Moose bologna. Interesting...

richwig83
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2007, 09:02 AM

Kangaroo
Buffalo
Goat
Eel (BBQed)

Barbecued eel is really good... give it a try!!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

wallinbl
Professional Poster

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Alligator
Gator is pretty common on menus around here. It's a bit chewy, really.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
So far nonhuman, wins this thread. Now for the things I've had that I think "out of the ordinary"...
Sweet!

I realized that my definition of 'out of the ordinary' is a little narrower than most people's... Here are a few more things that it didn't occur to me to list before.

I've had most kinds of sushi including uni (sea urchin, as mentioned above; one of my favorites, love the texture and flavor), and I suppose some people might also consider unagi (fresh water eel) to be unusual as well (also one of my favorites). I've had natto plenty of times, I eat buffalo at least twice a month (Trader Joe's has fantastic frozen buffalo patties), I cook tako (octopus) often (it makes a fantastic tempura), jellyfish can be quite good, whenever possible I use goat meat instead of lamb (I just find it to be tastier), and I really like eating those little dried whole fish that you can get in Asian markets with beer. I've also got a few that I've only not eaten because I so far haven't had the opportunity, first chance I get I'll check them off. Off the top of my head they're: fugu, whale, horse, cat, moose, kangaroo, any big game from Africa... Really I'll eat anything with meat on it and I enjoy trying new things, so...

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2007, 09:12 AM

Really I'll eat anything with meat on it and I enjoy trying new things, so...
Soylent Green?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2007, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
Soylent Green?
It's a question I've asked myself many time. Have no definitive answer yet. Fortunately, I've also never had the opportunity.

Life or death situation? Yes. Otherwise? Probably not, depending on how sober I am.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2007, 11:34 AM

It's a question I've asked myself many time. Have no definitive answer yet. Fortunately, I've also never had the opportunity.

Life or death situation? Yes. Otherwise? Probably not, depending on how sober I am.
Odd answer for someone named nonhuman...
chow down!

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2007, 12:14 PM

raw beluga (white whale)
Ahhhahahaha, you killer of species, you!

Where were you up North, out of mild curiousity?

I'm quite Canadian and haven't traveled the world yet, so mine are pretty narrow:

Lots and lots of Moose, Caribou
Black Bear
Arctic Turr ("real" name is the murre)
Seal
Beaver
Rabbit (probably not that odd I guess)
Ethiopian food, due to a great restaurant close to my old house (as Paul w mentioned, the injera is freakin' cool)
Frogs
salt pork (eaten by itself, very traditional Newfoundland dish)

I guess I've tried lots of traditional Russian food as well due to the girlfriend, but I don't know the name of any of it, haha. Other than that, most of it has been standard food from different localities (Indian, Lebanese, etc. etc.).

...sigh, I need to get out more....

greg
( Last edited by ShortcutToMoncton; Oct 18, 2007 at 01:36 PM. )
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2007, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Odd answer for someone named nonhuman...
chow down!
What, you think Soylent Green is made from humans?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2007, 12:37 PM

Kangaroo, emu and crocodile is probably the most exotic I have had. Was very good

-t

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2007, 01:44 PM

i forgot about tako. I've been offered live before. wrap it around chop sticks, stick it in your mouth, chew forever and swallow. thing is, if the octo decides to attach itself while you're swallowing, you can be seriously sol

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2007, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
not to be insesitive,just curios. but do you actually do the two sets of baking ware thing?
yep, two full sets of dishes and cutlery (plus a few extra neutral items)

but to keep on topic: buffalo is kosher so I've had that and so is tongue.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2007, 08:48 PM

whenever possible I use goat meat instead of lamb (I just find it to be tastier)
Agreed. Goat is delicious. Like lamb, but tastier as you say. And we do have great lamb down here.

Speaking of which, I'm going to my favourite Jamaican restaurant tonight and I'll probably have some jerked goat curry. Mmm. Mm.

Wait until you've tried a Kangaroo Korma though. My favourite Indian/Aussie dish. Yum!

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2007, 08:56 PM

Agreed. Goat is delicious. Like lamb, but tastier as you say. And we do have great lamb down here.

Speaking of which, I'm going to my favourite Jamaican restaurant tonight and I'll probably have some jerked goat curry. Mmm. Mm.

Wait until you've tried a Kangaroo Korma though. My favourite Indian/Aussie dish. Yum!
Mmm, Jamaican goat curry....

I love Jamaican food. Fortunately I'll be spending a week there next month.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2007, 08:57 PM

kitty poo is okay; once you had some hot sauce.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2007, 09:00 PM

Mmm, Jamaican goat curry....

I love Jamaican food. Fortunately I'll be spending a week there next month.
Lucky bastard. Jamaican food is quite sensational. I love the way the spices work with the fresh vegetables and especially tomatoes.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2007, 09:01 PM

I'm a big fan of Japanese food, and the last time my then-boyfriend and I went to one of the only good Japanese places in Indy, we got the big sashimi platter. Raw tuna, whitefish, salmon, etc...

Plus octopus and squid. The octopus was edible but kind of bland - crunchy and the little suction cups stuck to my tongue, which was an interesting sensation. The squid, however, was disgusting. It was really slimy and not really chewable, so I just had to swallow it down whole. It was gross.

That's about the most adventurous I've gotten. I have a pretty sensitive stomach to a lot of types of cuisine, so I don't veer too far off the beaten path very often.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2007, 11:13 PM

Komodo dragon.

/subtle reference?
ï£ż

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2007, 06:41 AM

I ate a babies back when I lived in Shanghai, I felt very guilty afterwards.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Oct 19, 2007, 08:50 AM

Lucky bastard. Jamaican food is quite sensational. I love the way the spices work with the fresh vegetables and especially tomatoes.
Unfortunately, when I was in Ocho Rios, the folks there just wanted to braid my hair and sell me trinkets. I guess they didn't think I was hungry. I'll have to go back just to have some real Jamaican food.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2007, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
"uni" is very good. i'm mostly a texture eater; and "uni" is a great great sushi
Uni is the only sushi I've ever had that I really wanted to spit out. Hate that crap.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

angaq0k
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2007, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Ahhhahahaha, you killer of species, you!

Where were you up North, out of mild curiousity?

...sigh, I need to get out more....

greg
Kuujjuaq, Inukjuak, Salluit...

I almost had polar bear as well. In Inukjuak, I used to live 200 meters from a hunter, whom had several skins drying in the wind. Once, a polar bear came by, probably because of the smell. They shot it, and everyone gathered and were given a fresh, steamy-warm piece to feed on. I arrived too late; there were only bones left...

Raw seal liver is apparently quite succulent; once you start, you can barely stop eating it. I was told by a Med student on residence at the hospital. All my weird food experience I had in Northern Quebec.
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2007, 09:02 AM

Jellyfish and papaya salad at a Vietnamese restaurant. Never again.
Sam

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2007, 11:13 AM

Jellyfish is not too bad tasting, but very bad for your cholesterol.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2007, 12:10 PM

All my weird food experience I had in Northern Quebec.
Awesome! My mom's side of the family comes from the coast of Labrador, but it's a little too far south to get that kind of native authenticity.

Heh heh, I'd be curious to see kind of interesting and dangerous compounds your body accumulated in that time! The Inuit have it pretty bad up there...

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2007, 02:16 PM

Unfortunately, when I was in Ocho Rios, the folks there just wanted to braid my hair and sell me trinkets. I guess they didn't think I was hungry. I'll have to go back just to have some real Jamaican food.
The best food I ever had in Jamaica was when we were driving somewhere between the towns and just stopped to buy some food from people selling it on the side of the road. Absolutely delicious.

Not sure I've ever been to Ocho Rios, have spent most of my time in Jamaica (been there probably 20-odd times) around Montego Bay and Negril. Been to Kingston once. Next month I'll be in Montego Bay for a wedding, then heading across the island to treasure beach to visit some of Jessi's friends who live down there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules