Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > OS X on 10gb drive w/OS 9.1 -ok?

OS X on 10gb drive w/OS 9.1 -ok?
oexecbmug
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2001, 07:30 PM

yep- that is my question. Does it work to have both OS 9 and OS X on a 10 gb drive with out a partion? All I have is a 10gb drive and I sure want to try OS X. OS 9 on drive now and only 4 gb left.

HC

imacaholic
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2001, 07:54 PM

Yes it should work. Installing OS X will eat up nearly another 1GB of space, but it should work no problem. Of course, you should always back up your drive before doing so. Check out the requirements on Apple's web site for more information.
Fold! It does a body good!™
173.82 GHz Tower of Folding Power
9th Ranked Folder in the World

hayesk
Jun 3, 2001, 09:34 PM

I am using MacOS X on a 466 iBook SE with a 10GB drive.

I have two partitions. One for MacOS 9, its applications, and my OS X Home Directory, and the other has MacOS X and OS X applications.

No problems so far.

ATC Ken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2001, 09:40 PM

Hayesk,

You noted that you have a 10gb with 2 partitions, 1 for OS X and 1 for OS 9.1. What is the size of each partition? Thinking of following your lead on my 10gb ibook-500 DVD.

Ken
2.5 Ghz MacBook Pro, 2GB Ram, 250 GB HD...major upgrade replacement for my recently sold iBook.

1.25 Ghz iMac, 17", 768 MB Ram, 160GB HD, SuperDrive, Airport Extreme..still a great desktop machine!

Janger
Forum Regular
Jun 4, 2001, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by ATC Ken:
<STRONG>Hayesk,

You noted that you have a 10gb with 2 partitions, 1 for OS X and 1 for OS 9.1. What is the size of each partition? Thinking of following your lead on my 10gb ibook-500 DVD.

Ken</STRONG>
I work mostly in OS 9.1, so I made a 7 GB partition for OS 9, the apps and all my data (MP3s, texts etc) and reserved 3 GB for OS X and some carbonized apps. That's plenty of space for just the system and the apps, and you can save larger files on your OS 9 partition. But as soon as I switch to OS X as my working environment, I will switch partitions.

oexecbmug  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2001, 02:46 PM

Thanks for reply - I loaded X on the partition along with 9 and all is working fine. Just need to change start up disk and reboot to get to X if needed.

HC

Forum Links
Forum Rules