Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best new iBook carrying case

Best new iBook carrying case
sparks66
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2001, 06:50 PM

looking for a new small cool case to carry my new iBook in....

sanford
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2001, 07:05 PM

www.sfbags.com

they have some nice looking bags, once of which is a slipcase for the new iBook

dotty from dreamless
May 21, 2001, 07:35 PM

try timbuk2.com really nice bags and u can design your own

wild9
Forum Regular
May 21, 2001, 07:56 PM

I'm SO close to buying my first bag from Timbuk2. They look GREAT!

But, isn't even the "Sweet Pea" a bit big for the new iBook? 14" wide! I only need it to be about 10", right? I just don't want it to be swimming in there.....

Any other ideas? Anyone have this bag?

Thanks!
Compulsive Software Update Button Clickers welcome!

wild9
Forum Regular
May 21, 2001, 08:00 PM

He-Hee.

I MEANt to say "13" wide", not 10". Oops.

Maybe it would work after all!

Goodness. I hate bag shopping. I just want a tight fitting bag that I can wear like a messanger bag with JUST my new iBook and maybe a notebook and pens. Less is more for me.

utarch21
May 21, 2001, 08:00 PM

I just went to Banana Republic and got their new "Computer Sleeve" for my iBook 500. It's the perfect size and it's made of a neoprene-esque material with two large pockets. The thing about it is that it's super slim and you can carry it over your shoulder. The pocket on the front even has a pouch that perfectly fits the pro-mouse. So far I have been able to fit the iBook in the main pocket and the saucer power cord-thingie, the adaptor, my extra battery, my new pro-mouse, and several DVDs in the secondary nylon pocket... and I'm sure I could put more in there (like my digital elph, etc.). It really is a cool (read "slick") bag.

oh yeah, it was only $35 too!

go to the mall and check it out!

Titleist
May 21, 2001, 08:10 PM

I went to Banana Republic's site, could you identify which one you're talking about?
http://www.bananarepublic.com/deptmain.asp?loc=man&sid=

I think it might be the Nylon Flat Bag you're refering too? Am I right?

Also, this is a question I have for you. I'm supposed to get my new iBook2 next week. Well, should I buy a second battery for it? What other accessories should I get for it. I'm thinking another battery, and maybe a second mouse.
-----------------------------------
*iBook 500/384MB RAM/DVD/Airport
*G4 500/1GB RAM/130GBHD/DVD

utarch21
May 21, 2001, 10:19 PM

the bad thing is that it's not on the BR site - they make a habit of not putting everything online. It's actually called the "computer sleeve" though and they've had it at every BR I've been to here in Austin so you shouldn't have too much of a problem finding one.

If you plan on watching DVDs on a plane or burning CDs (I just got the DVD though) then you'll really appreciate the extra battery. I've heard (from people here and the apple techies) that if you watch a DVD, due to the fact that it's software encoded, that you'll be lucky to get 2.5 hours out of a battery - the processor is working that much. ...and lord knows how fast burning a CD will deplete your battery.

as for the mouse... well I loathe trackpads so I got the pro-mouse and it reaches around just fine. But the bag is at BR ("computer sleeve") and is well worth checking out.

more questions?

Titleist
May 21, 2001, 10:31 PM

Another battery is going to be for sure, as well as another pro mouse. But the one thing that worries me is that there is no way to charge that second battery without losing some charge on the one that's in the iBook already. So you basically have to swap out one while the other charges, meanwhile the one you just finished charging is just sitting around losing that charge.

BTW, does anyone know if the pro speakers (The spherical ones from Apple) work in anything besides a G4?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 21, 2001, 10:35 PM

Titleist -- Do you really think that a battery loses that much of a charge from sitting for a few hours. I think the difference would be negligable at best.

oexecbmug
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2001, 10:37 PM

Just received my Computer Sleeve from www.thenorthface.com
cost $19.99 the 9.1 by 11.2 fits snug. Check it out.

tbuh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2001, 11:43 PM

I placed an order for The Boot from Spire USA. I don't really need a whole new bag for my 'book, and I really like the backpack that I already have. I'll let you know how all this goes, though aside from not having some extra pockets for my mouse and adapter, it should be great. Here's a link:
http://www.spireusa.com/products/notebook/boot/boot.htm

------------------
tbuh
tbuh

Titleist
May 21, 2001, 11:48 PM

Where on northface.com does it list that computer sleeve. I can't seem to find any mention of it.

oexecbmug
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2001, 12:01 AM

Try
http://www.ebags.com/index.cfm
search for Computer Sleeve

phillyjim
May 22, 2001, 12:12 AM

Now that the iBook is roughly the size of a standard piece of paper, you mght find some some cooler looking cases for it by just looking in the school supply section of stores like Target. I've seen some really cool neoprene and rubberized zip up folders in cool styles and colors...way cooler than the boring black nylon options I'm seeing now.

klee6150
Forum Regular
May 22, 2001, 12:44 AM

I bought the North Face computer sleeve at the local G.I. Joes and I am thoroughly happy with it.

Adapter and cord fits into the zippered pocket and papers in the slip pocket.

Karen

torifile
Mac Elite
May 22, 2001, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by klee6150:
I bought the North Face computer sleeve at the local G.I. Joes and I am thoroughly happy with it.

Adapter and cord fits into the zippered pocket and papers in the slip pocket.

Karen
I also just got the north face computer sleeve. It fits it perfectly and there is room for the power cord and my extra battery when I get it. It has a handy little handle you can use to tote it around with or it's small enough to fit in an ordinary messenger bag. It's only $20 and its from north face. Probably the cheapest(as in least expensive) bag they've ever made.

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
May 22, 2001, 12:56 AM

You may be looking for something a little flashier than I. But I pickup a really nice bag made by Samsonite. It's called a "Notebook Compact Case". It fits up to a 13.3 inch screen, is black and has room for other things as well. It cost me 50 bucks at CompUSA. I use mine as a Business computer, leaving my Pismo at home.

PeteWK

oexecbmug
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2001, 12:59 AM

Thanks Karen, I meant to thank you for mentioning this on an earlyer MacNN forum post. I sent for it that day and received today.
Thanks again Klee 6150

mattjm
May 22, 2001, 01:21 AM

Does anyone carry their iBook in a briefcase? I'm thinking it'll fit in the file folder slots of mine. They expand to about an inch and a half thick. Do you luckies with your iBooks think it'll work?

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2001, 09:46 AM

Try www.jambags.com . They have some cool ones.

------------------
Cheers,
Brad
bradperkins.net

MaxMac
Forum Regular
May 22, 2001, 10:33 AM

The Jambags look very cool! I also liked the ones from timbuk2.com Too many choices! Although I seem to have pleanty of time to decide (doing the combo mambo).

------------------
I love deadlines. They make a whooshing sound as they pass by.

bipto
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2001, 10:34 AM

I agree that Spire makes a good bag. I just got the Endo for my new iBook. My only complaint is I wish it had more compartments for folders and books and things. On the plus side, it comes with a removable boot for extra protection. A nice touch is the silver lining which makes it easier to find stuff on the inside.

------------------

MaxMac
Forum Regular
May 22, 2001, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by sanford:
www.sfbags.com

they have some nice looking bags, once of which is a slipcase for the new iBook
I really dig these bags, and the sweetspot special sounds like a sell (Med. Cargo w/ Sleeve case and Medium GearPouch $209)!

MaxMac
Forum Regular
May 22, 2001, 11:13 AM

http://www.slickproduct.com/lapsec.htm
This is interesting for the safety paranoid.

ophion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2001, 03:14 PM

I recently spoke with an Incase (http://www.goincase.com) representative after reading about the Moya Deluxe pouch in Pen Computing (http://www.pencomputing.com). The listed interior size of the pouch is 9.0 x 12.0 x 2.5 inches; the representative assured me that the new iBook (even with its 9.1" dimension) fits. I also ordered the smaller Moya Pak for daily use (PDA, cell phone, wallet, MP3 player, etc.). Incase is quite Apple-friendly--two of their regular laptop bags are available through the Apple Store.

BerberCarpet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2001, 08:06 PM

I love my Mountainsmith "Office" lumbar pack.

It has briefcase-style handles, a shoulder-bag strap, and a lumbar (think fanny pack, only better) system, to hold it on your butt with no hands.

It can hold 15 pounds on your waist with no real discomfort (extra battery!) and has lots of room for that 10 pounds worth of pencils and library books.

I absolutly love mine.

You can get them at Galyan's, and I'm assuming REI, EMS and other "outdoor sport" stores.

Worth a look

oops... forgot the link to the website

http://www.mountainsmith.com/product...y/bcoffice.htm

it's a frame site... you can do your own "digging" for thier other products if you wish.

------------------
"Umm.... creamy living
chocolate center."

[This message has been edited by BerberCarpet (edited 05-22-2001).]
"Umm.... creamy living
chocolate center."

ATC Ken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2001, 03:40 AM

Here is a link for what appears to be the perfect size pack for the new ibooks. And the company, Eagle Creek, is well known for making high quality packs/bags.

Check it out...
http://www.eaglecreek.com/day_travelers/60021.html

Ken
2.5 Ghz MacBook Pro, 2GB Ram, 250 GB HD...major upgrade replacement for my recently sold iBook.

1.25 Ghz iMac, 17", 768 MB Ram, 160GB HD, SuperDrive, Airport Extreme..still a great desktop machine!

BerberCarpet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2001, 08:29 AM

EagleCreek makes _okay_ bag.

I used to work at Galyan's, and have had a lot of experience with many "outdoor/travel" bag-making companies.

EagleCreek uses high-quality Cordura and good stitching, but their zippers are pretty sketcy and I have found that thier quick-releases invariably break.

For what it's worth...

------------------
"Umm.... creamy living
chocolate center."
"Umm.... creamy living
chocolate center."

fryd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2001, 11:21 AM

Do not forget the amazing Boblbee!

Check it out at http://boblbee.com/

Had mine for 6 months - Just waiting for my new iBook2 to pop in it....

ATC Ken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2001, 12:29 PM

Berber,

Well then...if Eagle Creek is only "okay", what would you suggest for a top of the line outdoor/travel pack? I have my ibook in an SFbags sleeve (fits my new ibook perfectly) so I don't need the padding as much as a sturdy and well made pack.

Ken
2.5 Ghz MacBook Pro, 2GB Ram, 250 GB HD...major upgrade replacement for my recently sold iBook.

1.25 Ghz iMac, 17", 768 MB Ram, 160GB HD, SuperDrive, Airport Extreme..still a great desktop machine!

phillyjim
May 26, 2001, 01:52 PM

AWESOME cheap bag for iBook!!!!!

Walked into the GAP (!) and found this great little bag called the "city flight bag". It comes in black or a really cool charcoal color. It's nylon with rubberized bottom and sides. Perfect size bag for the iBook2, though I'll probably add a foam linig strip on the inside bottom. It has a shoulder strap, and outside velcro closed side pocket, a side cell phone pocket on one side and a biz car window on the other side. Inside, it has 2 side pockets, one zips closed the other velcro. It's really cool looking.

Ready for the price????
$6.99!!!!!!

You can't beat it!

apple scruffs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2001, 01:58 PM

I just got the Banana Republic Computer Sleeve.
It's a really cool case for the new iBook. It's great because it is so efficient.
The iBook slips into it with extreme ease, so it gives you total accessiblity in a way other bags don't.
The outside pocket has enough room for the power cord, the adapter, a cell phone and my Visor.
Plus it looks cool too.
I highly recommend it, unless you need a bag for books and papers and stuff like that too. The you need a bigger bag.
Check it out though.

wild9
Forum Regular
May 26, 2001, 02:36 PM

Ophion-
http://stores.yahoo.com/goincase/moyadeluxe.html

I should be getting my Moya Deluxe bag from Incase designs. It looks great, and I too talked to the rep before ordering. He said it would fit fine, but isn't meant for a laptop. No real padding. I really wasn't looking for anything too bulky, so this sounds perfect!

let me know how things fit, will ya? I won't get my iBook for another week, I guess!

Thanks!

pxm25
May 26, 2001, 04:07 PM

Just want to mention one of the slickest products I have seen:
Shaun Jackson Designs Inc's "Lap Dog" it is a small case that unfolds into a lap desk! Hard to describe but I have been using apple power books for about 10 years and this is the best case I have found. Can bee seen at : http://www.shaunjackson.com It is worth checking out! Just bought one for my new ibook!

------------------

Package
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2001, 08:31 PM

The Campus Computer Organizer is an LLBean backpack...a bit on the large size compared to some of the ones being discussed here, but inside one of bag's two large zippered compartments is a smaller, velcro-closed, padded pouch that fits the new ibook like a glove, holding it horizontally. $59.

Diomed
May 26, 2001, 08:54 PM

Has anyone else here gotten the Incase Laptop Sleeve from the apple store? It looks incredibly nice.. and I just ordered it. I'll have to tell you guys how it works out.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...30.1.9.20.13.0

Professor X
Forum Regular
May 28, 2001, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by utarch21:
I just went to Banana Republic and got their new "Computer Sleeve" for my iBook 500. It's the perfect size and it's made of a neoprene-esque material with two large pockets. The thing about it is that it's super slim and you can carry it over your shoulder. The pocket on the front even has a pouch that perfectly fits the pro-mouse. So far I have been able to fit the iBook in the main pocket and the saucer power cord-thingie, the adaptor, my extra battery, my new pro-mouse, and several DVDs in the secondary nylon pocket... and I'm sure I could put more in there (like my digital elph, etc.). It really is a cool (read "slick") bag.

oh yeah, it was only $35 too!

go to the mall and check it out!
I just got one at the Mall of America it's Tre Cool! just about perfect for the new ibook. Wild9 if you are looking for one go there and ask for Josh. they keep them in the back but he's a friend of mine and will probably be happy to hunt one down for you (assuming they have anymore.)
-Prof X

------------------
ibook 500/DVD
9500 200
icebook 500/DVD 9500 200

www.macanonymous.com

wild9
Forum Regular
May 28, 2001, 11:06 PM

Was it the $35 one that the previous poster was talking about?

Josh, uh?..... Cool! Thanks!

Professor X
Forum Regular
May 28, 2001, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by wild9:
Was it the $35 one that the previous poster was talking about?

Josh, uh?..... Cool! Thanks!
Yep, that's the one... N/P
-Prof x

------------------
ibook 500/DVD
9500 200
icebook 500/DVD 9500 200

www.macanonymous.com

mac1200
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2001, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by Diomed:
Has anyone else here gotten the Incase Laptop Sleeve from the apple store? It looks incredibly nice.. and I just ordered it. I'll have to tell you guys how it works out.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa /83/wo/mL5Bk0p2MbjuEfD3dp/2.5.0.3.30.1.9.20.13.0

Definately post your finding once you recieve it. I think I may purchase one as well.

BerberCarpet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2001, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by ATC Ken:
...what would you suggest for a top of the line outdoor/travel pack? ... I don't need the padding as much as a sturdy and well made pack.
okay...

*slips into "hiker giving tips to newbie" mode*

the key with a bag, be it to carry 25 lbs on the trail, or 11-15 on the train, is light weight, comfort and safety in carrying, strong stitching, and quality zippers/connectors.

My favorite bag maker, as I've already listed is mountainsmith.

They are kinda like the Apple on the trail: the under-rated, but better, product, disdained by the "masses" but loved by those who "know."

This is a link to a bag that fits the iBook almost perfectly:
http://www.rei.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce...7&prmenbr=8000

Another good company is Marmot.

I don't like this bag as well... it has more padding and less overall room for the weight, but you cannot fault its "dropability" or its quality of construction.
http://www.rei.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce...7&prmenbr=8000

Jansport makes good packs, as long as you stay away from thier $60 and under "school bags" -- but even then, Jansport has a wonderful "Replace it for free" guaruntee, so you can't really lose.
http://www.rei.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce...2&prmenbr=8000

Help?

An

------------------
"Umm.... creamy living
chocolate center."
"Umm.... creamy living
chocolate center."

alisonc
May 29, 2001, 11:57 AM

http://www.jansport.com/pages/FlashC...ct=lap_Station

jansport lapstation. it's pretty darn nice, with three main big pockets, a work-in computer access from the back, and the special airlift straps are neat-o squishy-cool.

Jefe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2001, 12:29 PM

I visited my local hiking shop this weekend and found that Lowe Alpine makes a great case called the waistcase..
http://www.lowealpine.com/3/uspacks/...s_blt01_02.htm

this drawing makes it look bulkier than it really is. but it looks quite nice for the ibook. Plus you can strap it to your waist, or sling it over your shoulder. $59 at local stores.

[This message has been edited by Jefe (edited 05-29-2001).]

eTard
Forum Regular
May 29, 2001, 12:42 PM

MINIMALIST choice is >>>> North Face Computer Sleeve (mentioned elsewhere here).

I got one this week on a trip to Seattle at their store. PERFECT fit! As though it was made for it!

NOTE: it is a minimalist type bag for those of us that have a large backpack to put it in, but want some protection, some pockets, but not a lot of bulk.

As well, it is only 20.00!

------------------
eTard.....don't be one
eTard.....don't be one

Friends don't let friends be an eTard

oranjdisc
Senior User
Jun 3, 2001, 09:34 AM

Since the Banana Republic sleeve has been getting a lot of high marks here, can someone post a photo of it, possibly with an ibook inside? (Obviously if you happen to have a digital camera)

oexecbmug
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2001, 12:15 PM

I posted above but need to again and I second eTARD about the NorthFace Sleeve. I take it every where I have been in the last four days (since receiveing my "White Rabbit" ((iBook))) and what a great conveyance.

HC

<chump>
Jun 3, 2001, 02:43 PM

Does anyone know where else to get the North Face Computer Sleeve since ebags.com seems to be out of stock?

Thanks...

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2001, 03:06 PM

I don't have a digital camera but the banana republic computer sleeve is very compact. It's just like a sleeve but if you need an extra pocket it's there. It's all black with a long shoulder strap that goes on the top. There's a velcro "lid" on the top that opens up the main compartment. And on the side, slightly below, there's another velcro "lid that opens the other way. That pocket expands, and holds accessories, a small book, cell phone holder, and key holder.

[ 06-03-2001: Message edited by: Nebrie ]

<Langdon>
Jun 3, 2001, 04:11 PM

Is that the Banana Republic bag you guys are talking about?

Forum Links
Forum Rules