Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How do you clean YOUR powerbook?

How do you clean YOUR powerbook?
MikeD
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2000, 12:09 AM

I always found a simple slightly damp cloth does the trick... anyone else have any tips? What do you use for your keyboard, screen, oily palm rest?!

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

duboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2000, 12:21 AM

MikeD, I always use a damp cloth, and that's it. i find it gets the keys ok, and the display too. i think it's probably the best thing for the computer instead of using harsh cleansers. :-)

Rocke Woelk
Apr 29, 2000, 01:27 PM

Just an added caveat, if I may. If using water as a cleanser, I would suggest using DISTILLED water. Consider how when even a freshly cleaned window sprayed with tap water will appear to be spotty when left to dry.

Taking this to quite another level, I even use distilled water with the appropriate mixture of antifreeze in my vehicle's radiator. I haven't lost a radiator in years since employing this practice.

Just a suggestion.

Rock

Rocke Woelk
Apr 29, 2000, 01:44 PM

The former being said about distilled water, My STRONG preference is now what I was advised to use in a similar thread. Kleenmaster's BRILLIANIZE� is an anti-static cleaner and polish for plastics and the shining of similar surfaces! Resists fingermarking, repels dust and is anti-static! This product is fabulous, SAFE and can even quite safely be applied to, and will PROTECT your TFT screens...

Make sure you use one of their special cleaning clothes or a CLEAN soft cotton T-shirt absent any stitching or seams. In addition, it's great for your glass TVs and CRTs' not to mention those lovely G4 and G3 exterior plastic cases...

Where do you get this stuff?

I found "Kleenmaster Brillianize" locally here in Laguna Hills, CA at a shop that specializes in Plexiglass. Unfortunately, I have not seen it that widely distributed on the net, although, that might be more a function of improper keyword searching on my part.

I have found it here, however... http://www.ecomplastics.com/ecomplastics/polishes.html

Good luck!

zeller
Apr 30, 2000, 05:09 PM

I use "Endust for Electronics" anti-static cleaning wipes. They were on sale last fall at CompUSA with one of those $5 minus $5 mail in rebate offers. I've been pleased, but I don't know if I would spend real money on what ammounts to tissue paper with rubbing alcohol on it...

Ben

akebono
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2000, 06:30 PM

ditto on the distilled water (I have access to a millipore filter, luck would have it.) A little ethanol mixed in water helps with oil on the handrest. Also, it doesn't seem to remove the letters on the keyboard, but is probably not a good idea in the long term.

[fixed typo]

[This message has been edited by akebono (edited 04-30-2000).]

tjcrebs
May 1, 2000, 12:09 AM

I've been using "klear screen" with all my PowerBooks for the last two years. Apple recommended too AND anti-static too boot.

I like the singles. Here's the URL:
http://klearscreen.com/

Regards, T.

Mauro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2000, 12:48 PM

I am just curious to know if any of those cleaners also helped in removing the markings left by the keyboard on the Lombards' screen. I've been putting a cloth on top of the keyboard when closing it and that did the trick, but if any of those cleaners work as well then it would probably be a better solution.

micha schraven
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2000, 02:49 PM

compressed air for the keyboard, alcohol for the outercasing, alcoholdrenched tissues for the screen. you cannot get the key-prints off the tftscreen. I guess they are scratches.
"the only real centre of the universe is yourself"

Forum Links
Forum Rules