Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Amazon attacks new iPads with front page 'Lighter than Air' image

Amazon attacks new iPads with front page 'Lighter than Air' image
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 23, 2013, 02:55 PM

Amazon is attacking Apple's iPad Air just 24 hours after its launch, in order to promote its own tablet lines. A new promotional image on the online retailer's front page makes the claim that its Kindle Fire HDX models are "Lighter than Air," a hefty jab that claims its electronic devices are not as heavy as Apple's updated tablet range.

The iPad Air shaved 0.4 pounds off the weight of the previous model, bringing the weight down to 1 pound for the Wi-Fi and 1.05 pounds for the WiFi and Cellular model. The 8.9-inch version of the Kindle Fire HDX weighs 0.82 pounds, making it a lighter device, though Apple Insider notes that the smaller screen helps it save weight when compared to the larger 9.7-inch version in the iPad Air.

Comparing the smaller models leads to a similar situation. The smallest Kindle Fire HDX weighs 0.66 pounds, lighter than the 0.73-pound Wi-Fi version of the new iPad mini. Despite another weight-related victory, the same screen size problem appears again, with the iPad mini's 7.9-inch display and the Kindle Fire HDX's 7-inch version.

Though Amazon has proceeded with the provocative campaign on its US site, it isn't the same story in other regions. Amazon UK's front page does have a promotional image, but with the less incendiary "Startlingly light."

j Robert Hanson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2013, 03:02 PM

It's always good to know that the competition is threatened enough to run ads against your branding strategies. Apple win.

wrenchy
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2013, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by j Robert Hanson View Post
It's always good to know that the competition is threatened enough to run ads against your branding strategies. Apple win.
It's good to know that Apple is threatened enough to launch frivolous lawsuits for things like rectangles and rounded corners, create larger screen phones and smaller tablet screens due to pressure from the competition. The Competition Wins.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2013, 04:22 PM

Except that you're lying -- Apple has never launched any such lawsuits.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2013, 04:24 PM

Boy, anyone dumb enough to buy a Kindle Fire because its lighter than the iPad Air is certainly going to be disappointed at the rather breathtaking range of things it can't do. I'm not saying the Fire's a bad product for what it is, but "weight" is about the only area where you can really compare the two and come out in Amazon's favour.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2013, 04:46 PM

All of the Kindle Fire HDX series are about 1 inch smaller screen size than iPad.... of course they are lighter as expected. Talk about comparing "Apple" and orange.

mark_b
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2013, 04:49 PM

A piece of paper is lighter than air too ... so what?

hansmickle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2013, 08:20 PM

My Ford is lighter than a Lincoln.

notworkingtoday
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2013, 12:34 AM

chas_m.... get tennis elbow and you will quickly know that a heavy tablet is no longer usable. I switched to a Kindle Fire HD to get away from the weight of an iPad and won't look back. My next purchase will be based on weight first. I take my Fire everywhere and no one seems to care its not an Apple. I like my wife's Retina iPad but its way too heavy. My iPad sits on a desk in a dock and barely gets used any more.

Forum Links
Forum Rules