Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > switching from ethernet to dial-up

switching from ethernet to dial-up
mkral
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2001, 11:30 AM

I hope this is in the right forum. If not, please forgive my ignorance.

I am trying to get my pismo to switch from an ethernet connection to the internet when I am at the office to dial-up access when I am on the road. I can't seem to get this to work, unless I go in & manually change the network settings each time. I've tried setting up location manager to do this, but it does not seem to change anything in the TCP-IP contol panel.

Each time I want to change settings, I must go into the TCP/IP control panel & re-eter my network parameters for the connection. Is there any shorter way to do this?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

cjpainter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2001, 06:52 AM

You might try saving copies of the preferences files for each configuration you use in the TCP/IP Control Panel. When you leave the office copy the version for home to your preferences folder and when you leave home copy the office version to the folder. This way when you start up at the new location it will be ready to go.

Craig

PS - you could probably create an AppleScript to perform the copy for you.
CJPainter

Cipher13
Oct 1, 2001, 09:59 PM

The built in "Location Manager" is designed to do just this

DocWest
Senior User
Oct 2, 2001, 12:39 AM

Yeah the location manager should be able to do this.

But just the TCP/IP settings are easier to change than retyping all the settings and copying preferences files around.
When you go into the TCP/IP control , select Configurations from the File menu. (or command-K)
Then duplicate one of the configurations there, so that you got two of them, and them set up each one with the different settings you use.

Then whenever you need to swap over, open control panel, command-k, and double click the one you want. easy. although not as easy as location manager.

mkral  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2001, 07:54 AM

Cipher,

That's what I thought, but for the life of me, I can't get location manager to change the settings. Every time I switch back to dial-up, I have to re-enter the name server address. I will keep playing around with it, but so far no luck.

Thanks afor all of the suggestions!

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2001, 03:39 PM

mkral, what i did was make a new configuration set and then made and applescript that launched the configurations window. That way i could just run that script to switch between the two...and it should maintain your settings. If not, something isn't being set correctly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules