Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What ever happened to the AppleInsider message boards?

What ever happened to the AppleInsider message boards? (Page 2)
groverat
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2001, 10:37 PM

I said on the 26th that it takes 3-4 days for a response, don't start complaining until the 30th!
Long live the AppleInsider forums!

The Ancient One
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2001, 06:08 PM

Lighten up, folks. AI said on June 21st that they'd be back "soon." They're obviously using Applespeak. You know, "late summer" = November.
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

Mac-Addict
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2001, 02:04 AM

Well, AI is still not up.

I'm starting to get concerned about my favorite web board that has been a great community for over two years now. I've learned a lot from the guys over there, and am sad that we will now have a hard time reuniting.

Some are at BadFlamingo.com's boards (like me), about ten hold up OrangeInsider, more have sought refuge in the nooks and corners of Ars, and the rest have dispersed into thin air. Each time we have an outage, we lose more and more. It is clear that AI is not a priority. The front page hasn't been updated in months. They are still running headlines like "Word 2001�Later this Year!" and "Get Inside Info on Agua, the next generation interface!". Some dedicated maintainers of the main page would be nice...if you don't have enough out of your own staff, I'm sure plenty of guys would love to pitch in. I would.

One very important question: When the boards to return (if they ever), will we lose all of the old posts and our accounts? Every time it seems about 5% cannot access their accounts anymore.
Bah...where did our AI go?

neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2001, 01:27 PM

Nothing showing up yet but I'm still hopeful.
Happy owner of a new 15" Al PB.

Bodhi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2001, 01:49 PM

Mods -

Any news? Something? Anything?
~Peace~

Fran441
Jul 30, 2001, 01:55 PM

Yeah, this is really ridiculous. If you're not going to fix the boards, why don't you just stop stringing us along?
Its time for Apple to release a new PDA, but until it does, long live the Newton!

AppleInsider poster since 1998.
[email protected]

Mac-Addict
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2001, 05:10 PM

Meanwhile, Fran, Bodhi, take a look at the Bad Flamingo boards. They're pretty active, and we changed the color scheme to a nice grey on grey.
http://161.58.178.69/users/flamingo/index.cgi

I know how easy it is for you two to post a couple hundred messages on a weekend, so why don't you help us out?

gwrjr33
Senior User
Jul 30, 2001, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by Fran441:
<STRONG>Yeah, this is really ridiculous. If you're not going to fix the boards, why don't you just stop stringing us along?</STRONG>
Well you know how it is. The mods all work for free so it doesn't really matter what they say or don't say. We're just supposed to trust them.

misc
Jul 30, 2001, 07:17 PM

Guys, all I can say is hang in a few more days. We are expecting a big move that could happen any day now. Just stay calm.

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2001, 09:15 PM

I need AI! This setup, with its way-too-many topic subdivisions, where you have to click through all the folders to check on titles of threads (thus deciding which to investigate. now someone's going to say that there's more freedom to choose which info you DO read... it's a bug, not a feature ) stinks. The AI setup, which all fit quite nicely in one screen on my iMac, was more easily read all over.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

Mac-Addict
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2001, 09:25 PM

The bright white background annoys me in the same way aqua does.

ZO
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2001, 04:52 AM

hmmm....

ThinkSecret forums should be up any day too...

which shall be first? which shall we call home? or will we be commuting from one place to the other...

btw, I have some fun stuff for all AI people... and you're not gonna like it.

Lets gauge interest why don't we? who is interested in knowing the bad news for AI?

graphiteman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2001, 08:12 AM

What is it?
"...Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world,
are the ones who do."
-To the Crazy Ones

gwrjr33
Senior User
Jul 31, 2001, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by ZO:
<STRONG>

Lets gauge interest why don't we? who is interested in knowing the bad news for AI?</STRONG>
More bad news? Go ahead. I'm prepared for the worst anyway.

ZO
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2001, 10:32 AM

you asked for it:

Bodhi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2001, 12:33 PM

ZO -

Nice job.

So you made that in what...Illustrator? Not sure what you are trying to accompolish here...
~Peace~

ZO
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2001, 04:16 PM

sorry to let you down Bodhi... you might want to reply to my post and see that I'm not hosting the images. Its on someone else's who does stuff for MacNN...

I've never even opened Illustrator in my life so...

anyway, take is at you want, I dont care

MacAgent
Senior User
Jul 31, 2001, 07:44 PM

Hmm. Interesting.

Bodhi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2001, 09:27 PM

Zo -

All I am saying is that you are playing all coy and elusive like you have some inside info. Post it and say what it is...that's all.

Lets gauge interest why don't we? who is interested in knowing the bad news for AI?
Lets see how many posts I can get of people begging me to tell them what I know...

I never understood why people do this.

Its on someone else's who does stuff for MacNN...
That is all you had to say....why build up the 'suspense' and make people ask you? Wait......are you......no.....could it be? Could ZO be Kormac??
~Peace~

groverat
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2001, 11:33 PM

Hows about some updates, gorgy or someone else in the know?
Long live the AppleInsider forums!

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2001, 11:52 PM

heh-heh, updates, updates! Updates for all! I need TP for my people!

What the mods give, the mods taketh away. Well, maybe administrators anyway.

I need AI back!
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

ZO
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2001, 04:31 AM

Bodhi...

I had the info but also wanted to make sure that I could actually link it, or if I would have had to have hosted it myself and what not...

Anyway... I just wanted to create some suspense... I could care less about getting people to pray and get on their knees

I just hope ThinkSecret gets their boards up asap... at least it will make AI things speed up... OR give them an excuse to kill them off totally

Bodhi
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2001, 12:38 PM

ZO -

It's all cool!
~Peace~

gwrjr33
Senior User
Aug 1, 2001, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by Bodhi:
<STRONG>
It's all cool! </STRONG>
No it isn't. MacNN keeps asking for our patience as if they haven't been drawing on it heavily for months now. What the hell does it matter anyway that AI gets a new server if by the time the forums are up again nothing is left but a smoldering ruin? You guys saw what it was like the last time it was up. The only way we got any traffic was by starting a flame war with MacMonkey. As much as I enjoyed feeling superior to SOMEONE (sorry Quadz) it was a pretty pathetic display. Besides, how many times were we told that the problem wasn't with the server anyway. It was with Reprahduce. According to Amorph the last AI blackout was Reprahduce's fault too. I got news for you guys. If that's true, then this blackout is ALL MacNN's fault. They had no business continuing their association with someone who had screwed up their site that much. Or if they were going to give Reprahduce one last chance, then they should have had a backup plan. Actions speak louder than words. Even if they get the boards back up, why should we believe that things will be different? Let's say boards are up again and they tell me that five minutes after my first post there will be a knock on the door and Cameron Diaz (or better yet, Kate) will be here to give me a free lap dance. Sounds great! I'm ALL in favor the idea. Problem is there is a world of difference between the idea and it's execution. Whenever somebody from MacNN talks about AI it's been ALL promises and NO lapdance.

(edit: BRussell, I changed it a little.)

[ 08-01-2001: Message edited by: gwrjr33 ]

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2001, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by gwrjr33:
<STRONG>it's been ALL words and NO lapdance.</STRONG>
Mind if I tuck that away and use that phrase sometime?

By the way, I have to ask you about your sig. Where is it from?

gwrjr33
Senior User
Aug 1, 2001, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by BRussell:
<STRONG> Mind if I tuck that away and use that phrase sometime?
</STRONG>
No problem.

<STRONG> By the way, I have to ask you about your sig. Where is it from?</STRONG>
South Park
Sexual Harassment Panda
Episode #306

[ 08-01-2001: Message edited by: gwrjr33 ]

Retrograde
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2001, 06:24 AM

Oh, the Humanity!!!

<font color = red> "AppleSidelinered" </font>
Ceci n'est pas une pomme. Magritte

Scrod
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2001, 07:09 AM

They're dead. Let them rest in peace. Many of the people who posted there were rather annoying anyway. Heh.
I abused my signature until she cried.

Retrograde
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2001, 07:24 AM

Originally posted by Scrod:
<STRONG>Many of the people who posted there were rather annoying anyway. Heh.</STRONG>
And many of the MacNNers who post here are not, Scrot?
Ceci n'est pas une pomme. Magritte

EmAn
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2001, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by Scrod:
<STRONG>They're dead. Let them rest in peace. Many of the people who posted there were rather annoying anyway. Heh.</STRONG>
Yeah, people like me, right?

Mac-Addict
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2001, 05:15 PM

Alright dammit. When do we get our AppleInsider Forums back?

It has been down since the start of Summer. Months. I am getting seriously pissed that MacNN boards have been going through various upheavels through this time and we don't even get a clue on what's happening to AI. Hell, the main page hasn't been updated since June...and that was a remark saying that they'd post something "soon".

Come on, admins, have you gotten word on what they're doing with the servers? Do we have an ETA on AI? I know you guys don't get much passed on to you, but do you know where we can contact the people who do have an idea of what's going on? I'm afraid AI is going to sink into the abyss and not come back out.

These server outages lose more and more members each time, and I bet when AI returns (if it will ever) that only a faithful few will come back.

graphiteman
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2001, 05:53 PM

Who is definately planning on going back to AppleInsider when the forums go back up?

I know I am.
are the ones who do."
-To the Crazy Ones

Mac-Addict
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2001, 06:02 PM

Me. Absolutely. I will be so happy the day they return.

Meanwhile, I encourage you all to check out the BadFlamingo boards...almost a direct copy of AI. We have some AI regulars posting there and more come in every day. Please at least take a look or post a few messages...we need all the help we can get to jumpstart an AI alternative. If you don't like the way it works or something, post a topic explaining what you want to see changed. The forums are still in a developmental stage, and suggestions are very welcome. We had three different interface colors before we settled on the AI-esque grey on grey.

Link:
http://161.58.178.69/users/flamingo/

Over and out
MacAddict

DoctorGonzo
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 5, 2001, 06:10 PM

Who is definately planning on going back to AppleInsider when the forums go back up?
I'll be back.

hledgard
Aug 5, 2001, 06:37 PM

Thanks all. I too will go back.

In the meantime, the bad flamingo is good. I appreciate the flamingo.

Sincerely,
Dr. L

Nick
Aug 5, 2001, 11:54 PM

1) How did you find that image?
2) The image is not an official MacNN notice, nor is it approved or even necessarily going to be used.
3) Unless you see it on AppleInsider dot com, do not take it as fact.

Peace

[ 08-05-2001: Message edited by: Rampage ]

MacFan
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2001, 07:46 AM

Count me in! When AI returns I will be there with occasional visits to MacNN.

FERRO
Senior User
Aug 7, 2001, 01:15 AM

I keep a link in my favorites bar and check it regularly... to no avial.

I liked AI, it cant be that hard to get running.... or just an updated front page would do.... something....

Its the not knowing that really bugs alot of us....

� FERRO 2001-2002

applenut1
Senior User
Aug 7, 2001, 02:08 AM

Can you please give us a ****ing answer?

neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2001, 09:12 AM

Will everyone get their old screen names back or will we have to reregiser?
Happy owner of a new 15" Al PB.

gwrjr33
Senior User
Aug 7, 2001, 09:53 AM

If they bring it back up, I'll go back. But I honestly have no idea what they are going to do and don't really care any more what anyone says is going to happen. MacNN has zero credibility with me. The fact that we can't ever get any straight answers tells me a lot about the low regard - dare i say, contempt? - they have for us. This doesn't need to be this way but it is and it doesn't seem to bother anybody. It's very depressing.

nealconner
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2001, 10:01 AM

Have they even gotten the new server yet?

graphiteman
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2001, 12:30 PM

It was supposed to come in two or three weeks ago.

MODS/ADMINS: Can you please give us any information you have concerning the new server and AppleInsider?
are the ones who do."
-To the Crazy Ones

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Aug 7, 2001, 01:46 PM

<font face = "courier">Instant message with [monish]*
gorgonzola7: Where the hell is the server?</font>

I tried to explain this the last time, but given the time difference now (I'm in India visiting some people), I haven't spoken with Monish online for a while. He told me a few days ago that he had a ticket to Boston for Sunday, but clearly something happened to that.

At this point, I'm just leveling with you and saying that I honestly have no idea whatsoever where the server is. Previously, I knew what the plan was, but at this point, the plan just keeps getting delayed, much to my annoyance. This freaking dog of a server just creates a riduculous amount of additional work for all of us, and we're all waiting for it with just as much (if not more) anticipation as you guys. I haven't posted in this thread because I was waiting for Sunday/Monday -- that's when he said the server would be in -- but given that it's still not here ... you know the drill.

Personally, I would like to see the server installed. I would like to see AI moved to a stable server and be put online permanently so the fora can be rebuilt. I would like to see an AI redesign. I would like to see the news come back. I *have* worked on this, I *have* spent a great deal of time dealing with people, but when it comes to actually doing something like installing the server, it's not my arena. That's up to Monish or the hosting company or whomever. I'm not blaming Monish, or pointing fingers, because I know all too well that there can be unanticipated reasons for delays and errors (Reprahduce, for instance). This is just what is going on, and I wouldn't normally post something in such detail regarding our private transactions, but I figure you deserve to at least know what we're doing at this point.

I can do nothing but wait for the server. I'm going to try to find Monish online (haven't seen him since Saturday or so, maybe he's away or something), but I may not be able to because of the time difference.

As for that picture that was posted earlier ... that was a mockup that someone did, and it's not officially condoned or necessarily correct information. Until you see it on AppleInsider.com or you hear it from me (I'm the only one handling AI, except for Monish, of course), it's not real info. No offense to any moderators, but they simply don't deal with this issue at the level I do, and they don't deal with Monish or any of MacNN's hosting companies or contacts, and as a result, any positive or negative information they may post should not necessarily be taken as fact or as "official" information regarding the status of AppleInsider.

At this point, I'm just sitting here waiting. There's no more I can do for AI until the server is up. Then some people can rebuild it, but until that server is up, I can do nothing. And I have no idea where the hell the freaking server is.

You wanted inside info ... you got it.

HTH,
-gzl.

-----------------
* not actual sn.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Whisper
Aug 7, 2001, 02:11 PM

Gorgonzola, thanks for posting that info. I know it won't help get things running any sooner, but IMHO it goes a long way towards soothing the anger that some people seem to have. In any case, I just want you and the moderators to know that although I am upset with the situation, I know it's not your fault and I'm not mad at anyone over it. Best of luck figuring out where the server got off to .
-Whisper

graphiteman
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2001, 02:22 PM

Thanks, gzl. I really appreciate knowing what is going on, even if it doesn't help the situation. I second everything that Whisper said.

[Just brainstoming possible ideas to find a temporary solution]
-Is it possible to (temporaraly) move the AI forum data to a different directory on the current MacNN forums server (effectivley serving two seperate UBBs on one server)?

-Is it possible to hook the cube up to the MacNN Internet Service Provider with just a raw IP address?

-Is it possible to find someone else that might be willing to provide some bandwidth and server space for the forums? Maybe the www.macnn.com server? Or the www.appleinsider.com server?

Thats all that I can think of now.
are the ones who do."
-To the Crazy Ones

Bodhi
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2001, 06:28 PM

Seriously, take a look at BadFlamingo. It's coming along well and there are some good discussions going on.

Check It Out!
~Peace~

graphiteman
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2001, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by Bodhi:
<STRONG>Seriously, take a look at BadFlamingo. It's coming along well and there are some good discussions going on.

Check It Out!</STRONG>
I signed up yesterday.
are the ones who do."
-To the Crazy Ones

Fran441
Aug 7, 2001, 09:38 PM

Thanks for the info (even if it is bad news.)
Its time for Apple to release a new PDA, but until it does, long live the Newton!

AppleInsider poster since 1998.
[email protected]

Mac-Addict
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2001, 09:57 PM

Mad props Gargonazola. Thanks for the info, it's good to know someone with rank has a stand.

So we're just waiting to get the server? Is it being shipped or something? Where is coming from/going to?

Fran, get over to BadFlamingo!

Forum Links
Forum Rules