Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Will you buy the X-Box?

Will you buy the X-Box?
RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
May 14, 2001, 11:21 AM

Ok, I am a little conflicted...

As a Diehard Computer User, I despise Microsoft. I hate their software and the way it screws both my Mac and PC.
I don't like the way they operate, and I don't like the Uber-Nerd that sits on the throne of this empire.

But, as an overpaid Geek that likes Video Games, I love to buy the newest and greatest gaming systems. And the X-Box looks like it will have some incredible games.

So what do you think?
Support the company everyone loves to hate?
or
Get the newest and coolest system on the Planet?

Also, will you buy the X-Box when it comes out, and why??

xyber233
Mac Elite
May 14, 2001, 11:28 AM

No Microsoft for me. I would rather have a Nintendo Game Cube . Maybe I'll buy a G4 Cube and put them next to each other .

------------------

lothar56
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2001, 11:34 AM

I won't. It's all a money issue. I would buy it if I had the money (I am saving up for a G4/466 or a riding mower ), but only because of Bungie. I worship them and their games.

------------------
iBook G4-1.33/768 || B&W G3-450/640 || Beige G3-G4 450/352 || Beige G3-400/256 in Classic case || Beige G3-300/256 || PB 5300cs Pictureframe 100/24

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2001, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by lothar56:
I won't. It's all a money issue. I would buy it if I had the money (I am saving up for a G4/466 or a riding mower ), but only because of Bungie. I worship them and their games.

You can get Halo for Mac as well as the other bungie games
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

jagga
Senior User
May 14, 2001, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by lothar56:

get a mower. you will not regret it.

------------------
Jagga
Check out some screenshots here
My Server

VRL
Senior User
May 14, 2001, 12:27 PM

There are already too many people supporting monopolistic giants like MS.
No, I think I'll buy another Mac, or maybe start saving up for another BMW (We already have a riding mower.)
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2001, 12:31 PM

nope. M$ is not getting any of my cash. Also, I can't afford it and don't have the time to play games anymore, got school work to do. Well, off to UT!

------------------
"Imagine the disincentive to software development if after months of work another company could come along and copy your work and market it under its own name...without legal restraints to such copying, companies like Apple could not afford to advance the state of the art."
- Bill Gates, 1983 (New York Times, 25 Sep 1983, p. F2)
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

foobars
Mac Elite
May 14, 2001, 12:35 PM

Mark my words, Microsoft will manage to mess up the X Box SOMEHOW...

eep!
Mac Elite
May 14, 2001, 12:59 PM

I doubt it, but if I had the money? probably...

hmm, ride on mower...

<move forward five feet and back, that's the lawn mowed ma!>

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2001, 01:17 PM

im getting a gamecube for sure unless the games look REALLY bad. im not that much of a gamer anymore so i dont think ill need too much more than that. unless something comes out for xbox that just blows my mind, but im pretty skeptical of that thing.

------------------
you're going to have my foot at your lip in a minute, young man.

scott

fobside
Mac Elite
May 14, 2001, 01:21 PM

home gaming systems are very specialized pieces of equipment. it wont crash. the biggest reason windows crashes is that it has to deal with so many types of hardware. the xbox will be one set of hardware. this will be nothing compared to a windows box so unless its a money issue, this is supposed to be one of the best game systems.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2001, 01:30 PM

At first I thought the X-Box would be cool - but I don't think so. I refuse to support that
company anymore than I have to.

It's also an alarming fact that Microsoft is spending somewhere near a half a billion dollars
on marketing this thing, so perhaps it sucks so bad that the only way to sell it to shove it
down people's throats in the typical manner Microsoft is use to.

If one falls off a truck I'll get one. But they aren't getting my money.

"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 14, 2001, 02:10 PM

Microsoft doesn't make the actual hardware, so all they can really screw up is the software. And I'm sure they'll manage to do that with ease.

------------------
Why 1984, won't be
like "1984"

Eskimo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2001, 02:25 PM

If the games look anything like what I have seen in the previews than I am getting one for sure. I only hope some units are available at launch unlike the PS2.

I pay for a good product, not based on the good or bad intentions of the company. I'm not going to buy Linux or Mac just because it is not Microsoft. I'm going to buy what will be useful to me for the amount of money I'm spending. X-Box looks like it will have the game support and definately the hardware to take console gaming to a new level.

[This message has been edited by Eskimo (edited 05-14-2001).]

Ken_F2
Mac Elite
May 14, 2001, 02:58 PM

Seeing how virtually all the X-box games previewed at shows put the PS2 to shame, I will be the first in line to get one--assuming it is offered at the rumored $299 price.

Some people here--if they are actually gamers--seem pretty stupid to pass up a killer gaming console that has nothing to do with Windows, particularly if the previews shown of the upcoming titles hold true for the final releases.

iCartman
Senior User
May 14, 2001, 03:43 PM

HDTV games with AC3 output; Hello?!? Hell yes, I'm buying one.

------------------
respect mah athoritah!
respect mah athoritah!

MacAgent
Senior User
May 14, 2001, 03:56 PM

No.

Today I pledged that I will never use any Microsoft product again as long as I live unless I am forced to.
No IE, no OE, no Office, no X-Box, and definitely no Windows.

If I saw Bill Gates right now, I'd stick my tongue out at him.

------------------
d

starfleetX
Mac Elite
May 14, 2001, 03:57 PM

Nah, I can get a blender for just 10 bucks at Walmart and shred my wallet in it instead.

------------------
The server made a boo boo. (403)

MacManMikeOSX
May 14, 2001, 04:36 PM

i bet when your using the xbox a blue screen will pop up and say system error.

------------------
stupid age bigots'
Mike

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 14, 2001, 06:15 PM

I have some hard-core gaming friends. I'll tell them to come here and talk about their feelings of the X Box. They are Mac users, but I don't believe that's the reason they are NOT going to get the X Box.

You all know that MS used PhotoShop to make the "screen shots" they took look better, right?

Or how about the rumors that you will have to install all your games, potentially filling up your HD? I do like the idea of a HD storing all your save files and only copying the few you actually want to use when going to a friend's house.

Also, I think it's rumored to be shipped running on a hacked up version of Win2000.

Anyway, these are what I've heard, I haven't read them myself. As of now, I'm not going for one. Not because it's MS, just because it's not looking as good as the GameCube. I'll definitely get one if the games are a easy to acquire as PSX games.

------------------

Macintosh
Banned
May 14, 2001, 06:17 PM

why buy x-box? Its an old aged PC with a new Graphics card. Macs have Geforce 3 now anyway!

mindwaves
May 14, 2001, 06:54 PM

I wont? Why? Because games will always be better on a computer because you can use a mouse. The ability to use a mouse along with all the other input devices makes the computer more versatile for most games. For instance, iut is virtually impossible to play a game like Age of Empires on a console because you lack a mouse. And I believe that most people are not going to play with a console with a mouse. A computer with games is a perfect match,

RAzaRazor  (op)
Mac Elite
May 14, 2001, 06:58 PM

I wonder if we will have to wait for it to boot up...

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2001, 07:43 PM

can the xbox be any bigger?

Macintosh
Banned
May 14, 2001, 07:49 PM

NO,PS2 kicks its ass.

cheerios
Professional Poster
May 14, 2001, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by Macintosh:
NO,PS2 kicks its ass.
Why do you say that??

------------------

...it's only life after all!
--Indigo Girls
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 14, 2001, 08:28 PM

ok microsoft sucks.
but if x-box is what u want...???
it's almost impossible to live in the real world & not support hateful, monolithic corporations.
using netscape? (aol-time/warner)
drink coke? coffee at starbucks??

i use IE, i prefer it.
still, happy i've never given my $ to ms for anything...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2001, 11:56 PM

Well I won't make my decision until E3 which starts this Weds. or Thurs in Los Angeles, California. Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft will debut a bunch of games for their platforms. If the games are every bit a good as Microsoft claims them to be... then I might get one. But I'll definetly get a Game Cube. I've owned just about every Nintendo system to date (yes... I bought and still have a Virtual Boy) with a GameBoy Advance on the way.

One last note... I have to agree with forbside. My Dreamcast runs on Window CE and I don't have any problems with it crashing. Because it's one set of hardware, you won't get the Blue Screen Of Death on the X-box like you do on a PC.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

jeffhot
Senior User
May 15, 2001, 12:00 AM

Xbox has a lot to prove. I will wait until it has a lot of good games and comes down in price. I don't expect to buy one for at least a year after it is released.

I'm keeping the same plan with PS2 also. I'll wait 'til MGS2 and GT3 are out, and there is a price drop. Then I'll suffer through it's inadequacies. Baiscally, Sony and EA can suck it. But I may cave eventually.

The only sure thing for me is Nintendo's PowerPC and ATI powered GameCube. It will have the best games, the best controller, and will be the cheapest. Sounds good.

babble
Mac Enthusiast
May 15, 2001, 12:07 AM

No X-Box!

Yes GameCube... And I'll put it beside my G4 Cube... Ahhhh, how cute!

Since the GameCube's gonna come with ethernet option for cable internet, maybe I'll be able to put the gamecube on my network and be able to play network games inbetween my 2 cubes. A guy can dream can't he?

jeffhot
Senior User
May 15, 2001, 02:38 AM

What would really be cool is if you could hook your GameCube up to a flat panel display. It's possible, there are some innovative adapter makers out there. GameCube will support HDTV I read.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2001, 06:26 AM

No, I will not buy Microsoft X-Box.

I have never actually bought a game console, ever. Strictly a computer man. (Alien/whatever!)

Although the upcoming Nintendo console looks promising, I doubt I'll buy it. My younger brother will handle that and I can use my money on something useful. Like a new Mac, they always come in handy!

When you think about it, the X-box is a silly idea. It's based on a PC motherboard, has a Pentium III, has a HD and a DVD-ROM. It is no real console! It's a Microsoft iMac!!!

------------------
\ / ( ) ( ) | ) ( ) ( )
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

brainloop
Forum Regular
May 15, 2001, 06:34 AM

Hello ^_^

I'll buy it if it has good games

If they release Final Fantasy XI on it, then yes, I'll buy it.

Nip-Nip

Cipher13
May 15, 2001, 08:28 AM

The X-Box is just a low-end PC that doesn't come with a keyboard

GameCube for me.

------------------

AIM: Cipher1387
mail: [email protected]

xyber233
Mac Elite
May 15, 2001, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
The X-Box is just a low-end PC that doesn't come with a keyboard

GameCube for me.

Exactly. I don't consider the X-Box a console system. That just takes all the fun out of console gaming anyways.

------------------

wumeng
Senior User
May 15, 2001, 06:57 PM

I might be tempted to get the XBox, if only for Halo...

WinsOBoogi
Senior User
May 15, 2001, 09:38 PM

Never. Never in a million years. Maybe Gates should focus on making Windows a PLEASANT system before he ventures out into the gaming world.

------------------
"The Macintosh is the temple of your soul." -Moi

rebel
May 16, 2001, 09:40 AM

I'll consider getting a Xbox only if there are a ton better games than the PSX2 and the price point needs to be cheap as well. I hear a rumor that PSX2 will be dropping it's price to $199 this fall. We'll see..I'm still waiting on great killer games for PSX2. Twisted Metal Black, MGS2, GrandTurismo 3, look like they might get me to buy one before the price drop.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2001, 06:50 PM

I was announced today at E3 that the x-box and gamecube will be release 3 days apart. Nov. 5 for the gamecube and Nov. 8 for the x-box. Since I have only enough money to get one system, I'm going to put my money with the game cube. Can't break my streak of purchasing every Nintendo. system

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Ken_F2
Mac Elite
May 16, 2001, 11:08 PM

Exactly. I don't consider the X-Box a console system. That just takes all the fun out of console gaming anyways.
Let's just hope all consumers aren't this ignorant. The X-box doesn't run Windows, nor does its interface look anything like today's Windows.

Funny, once upon a time, consumers judged products on their merits...the real gamers out there will wait to see how the consoles perform, the quality and availability of the games, and then purchase the best of the three systems.

splitkitten44
May 16, 2001, 11:33 PM

I'll buy it for sure, the games look great. Microsoft has done a great job together with nvidia and all the game 3rd party developers out there.
Can't wait for NHL 200x for the Box, from EA.

But I'll get the Gamecube as well, for Zelda and Metroid.

PowerBookDude
May 17, 2001, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by RAzaRazor:

Also, will you buy the X-Box when it comes out, and why??
Probably not. Why? Because it is Micro$oft.

PBDude

sebuchen
Forum Regular
May 17, 2001, 01:39 PM

I MIGHT buy one, simply because M$ is loosing money on every unit sold. They hope to make up the money by selling games. A person could buy it to use only for DVD then M$ wouldn't be able to recoop their loss.

I don't know really. If it looks like it has killer graphics, I may seriously consider buying one. Although, even at $299, that's pretty damn high just to play games. I guess I'll have to look at one before I make up my mind.

Ham Sandwich
May 17, 2001, 01:47 PM

Microsoft's X-Box reminds of the time when the Sony Playstation came out many moons ago:

1) A game console from Sony? What the heck do they know about console gaming?
2) Market the hell out of it!
3) Noone will buy it and it will die quickly.

M$ is losing over $100.00 per box. Why? Well, most console makers do, and they make it up in Software licensing and purchases. I think M$'s plan, though, is a little different. It's my take that the Evil Empire is doing WHATEVER IT TAKES to be on your TV, in your hand and on your computer. The "Microsoft Lifestyle", if you will. Face it - they aren't making the X-Box for you because they have nothing else better to do - it is just another way for them to make you dependent upon them for one more thing.

(sheesh, this sounded like my manifesto! And no, I don't live in a secluded cabin up in the mountains!)

-s'fit

NeoMac
Mac Elite
May 17, 2001, 02:05 PM

I saw the E3 demo game demos of XBOX, and simply, I was NOT impressed.

It's a waste of GeForce 3 chips if you ask me. MS is selling eye-candy over substance ... geez, what are the odds of that ...
"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

fobside
Mac Elite
May 17, 2001, 02:23 PM

explain to me how teaming up with taco bell does anything. what are they going to do? bundle a taco with every xbox? you can see it on microsoft's website.

JonoG4
Senior User
May 17, 2001, 02:47 PM

Microsoft can't innovate. They don't know how to make games like Sega and Nintendo. Sure, they have the big bucks but in the end it is quality that counts. You might think of Nintendo as 'kiddy' which they were but they are changing their image. We'll be seeing alot of mature games on GCN. Nintendo even upped the speed of the Gekko processor from 405 to 485 MHz, downgrading the graphics chip from 200 to 162. I don't think the downgrade on the graphics chip will have much of an impact though. The Gekko can kick any PIII's ass.

I will not be spending my money on X-Box.
Mac mini 1.25/512/40
iBook 600/384/20/
iMac 233/288/4/

subpar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2001, 05:28 PM

i have never cared much for the xpox or PS2. it's gamecube and GBA for me all the way! i'm a nintendo loyalist....:-)

anyone who says Nintendo is all about kiddy games is full of it. Has anyone seen the new Raven Blade or Metroid screenshots..they look great, plus i am sure they will play fantastic and be a lot of fun, which is the most important thing. nintendo is all about the quality and playability of games, not superficial eye candy...

so while sony and microsoft are busy competing w/ each other about system specs, i'll be content with my GC playing phantasy star online, super smash brothers, and metroid. plus i have my mac to play halo :-)

----
life is made up of moments....this is one of them
life is made up of moments...this is one of them

MacFan
Forum Regular
May 18, 2001, 03:21 AM

I have not yet decided. I try not to use any M$ stuff as it is crappy IMO.

I have a Dreamcast and play it to death and hate that Sega just ditched it although we will finally have a new Panzer to play! If it comes down to Nintendo, Sony and M$ I'll probably go with M$ as Nintendo has been lacking for years now, Sony PS2 was all PR fluff (looked great on paper, but not as impressive in real life) whereas M$ has bought themselves plenty of top notch game developers as well as signing all of Segas stuff so I'll probably go with the XBox

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2001, 07:21 AM

Not buying the Xbox. Only game that interests me is Halo, and THAT is ONLY going to be played (by me, that is) on my G4.

Frankly, in my perfect dream world, Xbox flops and MS decides to spin Bungie off as an independent company once more....

Yeah. Like that'll ever happen.

G Barnett

------------------
Those who are easily offended should be.

And often.
Life is like a clay pigeon -- sooner or later, someone is going to shoot you down and even if they miss you'll still wind up shattered and broken in the end.

Forum Links
Forum Rules