Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > IE 5.1 becoommeess slooooowwwww....

IE 5.1 becoommeess slooooowwwww....
Alex Gunter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2001, 08:27 PM

and slows down EVERYTHING when I keep upward of 10 browser windows open...has anyone else experienced this? For the most part I am happy with explorer, it could be faster and what couldn't be, but this is ridiculous. It gets so slow that opening a broswer window sitting in the dock takes 3-4 seconds, everything comes to a halt and the rest of the dock, Finder, and other programs are unresponsive while exploder does who knows what.

my machine is a 500 Mhz G4 server with well over 500 megs of RAM so the problem is with Their software, not My baby.

any ideas?

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2001, 09:41 PM

Geez man......you sure do like browser windows. I think any system would bog a little with so many active browser windows

[osX]RTouris
Nov 13, 2001, 07:48 AM

It's alive, it's alive!!!!!! Yeah I've also notice that (QuickSilver 800 / NOT the MP )

MacFan
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2001, 08:33 AM

I know what you mean. Each day I start out at Macsurfer.com with OmniWeb and simple open the links that I am interested in in new browser windows and simply don't notice any slowdown. Try to do the same in IE and it either slows down or simply quits causing me to loose everything. Definately a flaky browser.

Reminds me that I've only experienced one 'kernal panic'. Happened way back in the public beta. Guess what I was running at the time. You guessed it! Internet Explorer. 'nuff said.

sheer
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2001, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by [osX]RTouris:
<STRONG>It's alive, it's alive!!!!!! Yeah I've also notice that (QuickSilver 800 / NOT the MP )</STRONG>
I never realised you were only up the road from me (I'm just outside of Chester)

[osX]RTouris
Nov 13, 2001, 02:16 PM

SSSSSSSSSSwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttt!

barbarian
Senior User
Nov 13, 2001, 04:12 PM

&gt;Geez man......you sure do like browser windows. I think any system would bog a little with so many active browser windows

I sometimes open 20-25 windows in 9 without a noticable hit...

Re the problem: I see it too and I have a gig of RAM. Also seems to happen with some of the other browsers, but IE is especially bad.

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: barbarian ]

Alex Gunter  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2001, 06:42 PM

Good, so its not just me...do I like browser windows? YES! The more the better, bring them on...the only reason I find this to be a nuissance to the Xth degree is that in MacOS9...or 8.6....8.5 etc, I could open 30 broswer windows, have 20 of my greediest apps running and not feel the kind of slowdown that a 500MHz G4 should NOT EXHIBIT!! (my previous Mac was a PowerMac 7500/100 with 512RAM and an upgrade 233Mhz processor)...Omniweb doesn't do this? I'll give it a shot.

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: Alex Gunter ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules