Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Cook: Apple working on projects 'not even rumored'

Cook: Apple working on projects 'not even rumored'
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 12, 2014, 11:45 PM

In a new interview for the PBS Charlie Rose show, Apple CEO Tim Cook adds some small tidbits to hs previous public statements around Apple's latest products. Specifically, he reveals that the company's "great interest" in television is continuing, that the company is working on products not even "rumored about yet," and more.

"We could have done a larger phone years ago," Cook said in response to a question about whether Apple was playing "catch-up" to some features competitive smartphones have had. "It's never been about just making a larger phone," he said. "It's been about making a better phone in every single way." Earlier he had pointed out that the Retina HD screens on the new iPhones were more than just the sum of their specifications.

Cook was equally enthusiastic about other aspects of the new iPhones, such as the speed and thinness of the new devices. While head-to-head testing on the iPhone 6 against competitors has yet to occur, previous versions of Apple's dual-core A-series chips have routinely outperformed rival chips, even those with more RAM or quad-core processors.

It seems to be obligatory to ask Cook in every interview about the late co-founder and former CEO of the company, Steve Jobs -- whose shadow still looms large in Cupertino, even as Apple begins unveiling products and directions Jobs had no hand in, such as the Apple Watch. Cook reiterated comments he made to ABC's David Muir about how he thinks about Jobs every day, and revealed that Jobs' office has remained untouched since his departure from the company, shortly before his death in October of 2011, reports AppleInsider.

Cook told Rose that the company continues to work on new products in new product categories, saying that Apple has interest in a lot of things, but that at a certain point it focuses on execution, which limits it to only a limited number of devices it can maintain at a time.

He also expanded on the thinking behind the $3 billion purchase of Beats and Beats Music, saying that the company had been interested in more than just the formidable connections, insider knowledge and talent of founders Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine. Beats Music, Cook said, had attracted Apple's attention with it's different "feel" compared to other subscription music services, particularly in its human-curated playlists.

Questioning turned once again to the subject of Apple TV, with Cook saying again that his particular area of interest is in the "user interface" of modern cable TV. He elaborated a bit more than usual on the topic, and repeated that television generally is an area of "great interest" to the company. He did not expand on any plans for the current Apple TV set-top box.

The full interview will be covered in two parts, with the first part being seen this evening and the second part coming on Monday.

dprimary
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2014, 01:46 AM

Hopefully they are working on some sort of music player that can hold say something like weeks of music and has real buttons that you can just change song forward and back, volume up and down, FF and review to a point in the song and never have to look at it.
The next item product would be a smartphone not just any smartphone this one would be small enough to fit in your pocket, imagine a wireless phone that fits in your pocket.

iphonerulez
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2014, 09:54 AM

I doubt Apple will have any dedicated music player because I don't think there's any large demand for such a device. A few of us might like to have such a device but Apple isn't going to put effort into a device with such a small audience. I'm glad I have three click-wheel iPods so I'm not going to ask for any more of them.

I hope Tim Cook is finally able to convince those damn idiots out there who constantly say Apple no longer has any innovation left. I think the AppleWatch could prove that point if they manage to get much better battery life out of the product. Battery tech is simply not up to where it needs to be for such a small device. The problem with the complainers about Apple is that they never say what sort of device Apple needs to come out with to be considered innovative. They're stupid if they're expecting some advanced leaps in tech because it doesn't happen that way 99% of the time. No company can get that far ahead of everyone else in the industry because most companies have access to the newest tech as long as they're willing to pay for it. As a consumer, I'm not looking for huge technical advances. I just want a decent product that's easy to use and maintain and get some customer service when I need it. I'm not looking for 4K resolution or a 50MP camera like some stupid tech-head is always asking for. You give them something decent and they're still never satisfied. I'd like better battery life for my mobile devices but it's not Apple's fault that they can't deliver some miracle of science in a consumer product. There are always compromises that consumers have to accept. Consumers should learn to appreciate what is already there for them to use.

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2014, 12:06 PM

I'd say every single company is working on things that aren't yet rumored...
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

rtamesis
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2014, 12:35 PM

Pssssst. Apple is secretly working with Space X and Tesla owner Elon Musk to develop a warp drive for faster than light travel. You heard it here first!😁

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Sep 13, 2014, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by rtamesis View Post
Pssssst. Apple is secretly working with Space X and Tesla owner Elon Musk to develop a warp drive for faster than light travel. You heard it here first!😁
Sweet! I hope we get a review unit.

Forum Links
Forum Rules