Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X Installation Amounts

OS X Installation Amounts
Mac_X
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2007, 04:45 PM

Hello all,
I am thinking about resetting my computer; aka erasing everything and re-installing OS X. I have no doubts on how to do this, but I'm not sure how many times I am allowed to do this. So the question is: using the OS X install DVD given with my mac, how many times can I do such proceedures?

Also, since I am in the right forum, I ask; what is the general purpose of iDvd? Do I have any use for it what-so-ever if I dont have a Superdrive? If i have no use of it, I could just as well not install it, therefore earning 1-2 GB of space in the process.
And what are Quicken 2005 and Zinio Reader?

-Thanks in Advance-

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2007, 05:11 PM

Just like every other OS I can think of, you can reformat and reinstall the OS as many times as you want.

iDVD is for making DVDs. Without a DVD burner (Superdrive), it's not terribly useful. You could make the movies, save them to disk, and burn them at a friends house.
Quicken is money management software; the OSX version sucks.
Zinio Reader lets you read magazines.

brokecollegestudentF04
Banned
Jan 18, 2007, 12:24 AM

I can get a tiger install down to 1.4GB

Dont install the languages you dont use
dont install the printer drivers you dont use
or asian fonts that kind of stuff and any of the pre installed apps you dont use.

I can get a panther install down to 1.2GB by just installing the base system and a couple apps

Forum Links
Forum Rules