Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 41)
KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 26, 2012, 07:43 PM

And this is reply # 2000.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 26, 2012, 07:50 PM

If you don't have it download the first episode of The Walking Dead for free through 12/31! Starting on December 28, the remaining 4 episodes will be on sale for 200 MS points each! If you do it this way, it'll only cost you $10 total. That's a hell of a steal considering each episode is originally $5 each! It's a great game! Just ask Bogues!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2012, 12:14 PM

Is it multiplayer? Fatty, we should download this.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 27, 2012, 12:18 PM

It's probably free for a reason.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2012, 12:27 PM

Leave it up to Dakar to be the pessimist. Who'd have thought? I know you're tired of zombie games, but at least give it a shot. You may actually like it.

Keith, it's single player only. Still a great game.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2012, 04:03 AM

RIP Playstation 2 (sort of), it was discontinued in Japan on Friday. Still available in the rest of the world, for now.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...inued-in-Japan
( Last edited by ajprice; Jan 7, 2013 at 11:49 AM. )

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2013, 10:22 AM

http://m.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2013/jan/03/xbox-720-countdown-begins

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2013, 07:35 AM

That flash-countdown is a fine example of information overload.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2013, 09:03 AM

P
Jan 7, 2013, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Very interesting, but I really wish that companies would stop "announcing" things without either price or availability.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 7, 2013, 11:23 AM

It looks like something people on a forum would mock-up.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2013, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
It looks like something people on a forum would mock-up.

or something by a blogger 7 years ago.

XboxMove handheld console in full colour | Nick

Except that this one has a convertible screen, so could be closed with the touchscreen facing up*.

*The Nvidia may be able to do that.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2013, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
RIP Playstation 2 (sort of), it was discontinued in Japan on Friday. Still available in the rest of the world, for now.

The Escapist : News : PlayStation 2 Discontinued in Japan
Now fully dead - PlayStation 2 is now discontinued worldwide, confirms Sony | Joystiq

RIP

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 7, 2013, 04:01 PM

Team Ninja boss defends Wii U CPU, insists console is "definitely next generation" | News | Edge Online

“The Wii U is an infant that’s just been born,” Hayashi tells us. “It’s a little unfair to compare it to mature platforms that people have been working on for over five years. I’m sure people will find ways to bring out even more power as the platform matures.
“If you’re basing this simply on processor speed, then it’s not next generation,” he says. “If you’re basing this on Wii U being a new idea that challenges existing platforms, then it definitely is next generation. It is a console videogame platform that is now independent of the TV. Nobody has done that before.
Is "innovation" suggestive of a new generation? I vote no.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2013, 04:45 PM

I hate to tell him the bad news, but a console independent of a TV is a mobile gaming machine, which has been done. Sony has the mobile Playstation (now the PS Vita),nintendo has the Gameboy, and then there's the Smartphones.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2013, 07:17 PM

It's more like a non-portable mobile gaming machine. Or a console with an included 7" tv that you have to use.

P
Jan 7, 2013, 07:51 PM

Is "innovation" suggestive of a new generation? I vote no.
It's a new generation because enough time has passed since the last generation.

It's pretty ballsy to talk about "innovation" and then not say anything about what they actually did (compared to the Wii CPU). We know that it is a tri-core chip, we think we know that the clockspeed is 1.25 GHz or thereabouts, and they have some eDRAM in there (similar to the X360 GPU), but beyond that, it's a black box.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2013, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
If you don't have it download the first episode of The Walking Dead for free through 12/31! Starting on December 28, the remaining 4 episodes will be on sale for 200 MS points each! If you do it this way, it'll only cost you $10 total. That's a hell of a steal considering each episode is originally $5 each! It's a great game! Just ask Bogues!
I just finished this game last night. (I bought the Mac version on Steam during the xmas sale.)

The Good: The story rocks. The characters rock. The voice acting rocks. The visual design rocks. The choices you have to make are sometimes gut-wrenching; I often felt bad after making a choice. The final episode is really sticking with me, as the choices I made and the resolution of the grand mystery really hit home. I didn't cry, but lots of people online say the final episode made them cry, and I believe it.

The Bad: The point-and-click puzzle mechanics are kinda annoying and unpolished. For instance, walking around looking for clues and objects is fine until you hit the edge of the environment, then your character will do a frozen, ghostly glide until you hit another environment edge; it looks terrible. The conversation trees are fine, but sometimes the game will repeat conversation, or worse, will let you start a conversation although all the options have already been exhausted, so the game will trigger the pre-discussion animation, then nothing will happen, then the game will revert to exploring; it's really bizarre and immersion-breaking. Also, I had to turn of the character shadows (which didn't hurt the visuals, believe it or not), because they look terrible in up-close conversations even though they were completely fine at a distance.

The Ugly: The interface controls are terrible. I think they did an alright job squeezing gun-fighting into a point-and-click adventure game, but the mouse pointer lag was just ruining it. I can safely say, every single time I died, it's because of the damn pointer lag. There are also silly quick-time events where you pound the Q key for an ungodly amount of time. Oh, and you can't customize the controls, which is really terrible for a left-handed, laptop user like myself. For instance, you can use either WASD or the cursor keys, but even using the cursor keys I still have to use Q and E for quick-time events, and the game kept telling me stuff like "press S to back away!" instead of recognizing I was using the cursor keys, not WASD. Worse, you have to use the mouse scroll for important actions, which is an utter nightmare on a laptop trackpad.

Overall, I recommend playing this game, because it's a really satisfactory experience, but be ready for a lot of annoying tics. It might be much more natural on a game console.
It's probably free for a reason.
So you buy the other four parts.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2013, 05:26 AM

Xi3 'Piston' mini PC - A version of Steam Box?

Valve-backed Xi3 mini PC unveiled - is this the Steam Box, or just the first of many? | News | Edge Online

Upgradeable storage up to 1TB, upgradeable CPU and RAM, Valve... Steam... Piston... geddit?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 8, 2013, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
It's a new generation because enough time has passed since the last generation.
That's oversimplified. If you look at past console gens its not that clear-cut. Hell, the entire beginning of this gen was marked by discussions on how the Wii should be classified.

If you look at NES/MS > Genesis/SNES > PlayStation/N64 > PS2/GameCube/XBOX you'll see we've been marking generations by a different metric.

Valve... Steam... Piston... geddit?
Ohhhhhhhhh

P
Jan 8, 2013, 03:58 PM

I know that there have been discussions about that before, but in effect, a console competes with what else is on the market. The Wii competed with the PS3 and the X360, thus they're the same generation.

Besides, looking at the clockspeed of the main CPU is not very useful. What would be interesting would be to look at the sophistication of the GPU, and with that base, I think the generation-discussion would stop rather abruptly. The PS3 doesn't even have unified shaders (it uses what is essentially a Geforce 7900-series chip with a nerfed memory bus) and the X360 uses what can be be described as a prerelease unified shader arch. Even if the Wii had used something like a Radeon 4000/Geforce 200 series, it would be of a newer generation than those. Rumors have it we're looking at something like a Radeon 6770 with an eDRAM cache - certainly newer than the current-gen competition.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 8, 2013, 04:06 PM

I know that there have been discussions about that before, but in effect, a console competes with what else is on the market. The Wii competed with the PS3 and the X360, thus they're the same generation.
That's very practical, but given the ever broadening range of technology available at a given time I'm not sure that works anymore. Much like...

Besides, looking at the clockspeed of the main CPU is not very useful. What would be interesting would be to look at the sophistication of the GPU, and with that base, I think the generation-discussion would stop rather abruptly. The PS3 doesn't even have unified shaders (it uses what is essentially a Geforce 7900-series chip with a nerfed memory bus) and the X360 uses what can be be described as a prerelease unified shader arch. Even if the Wii had used something like a Radeon 4000/Geforce 200 series, it would be of a newer generation than those. Rumors have it we're looking at something like a Radeon 6770 with an eDRAM cache - certainly newer than the current-gen competition.
Since the PS2 era, we haven't been measuring consoles by straight-up CPU (N64 was the last. Was the PS2 technically 128-bit? I don't know). Thankfully, we can still measure overall performance (which is why a lot of people hilariously point-out that this era isn't rightfully HD), and can show there's a bit of difference between the Wii and "HD Twins".

If the Wii U ends up being closer to the "HD Twins" than whatever MS & Sony release this year (?) in terms of performance, it's going to be last-gen in all but title.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 8, 2013, 05:42 PM

GameStop edges toward irrelevance as holiday sales fall | Ars Technica
On Tuesday, the country’s largest video game retailer cut its fiscal fourth quarter 2012 sales estimates to between 4 and 7 percent down rather than a slight increase. As of this writing, GameStop's stock has taken a near 7 percent hit in one day, falling to $23.12 per share. GameStop’s sales during the nine-week holiday period ending December 29, 2012 fell by 4.6 percent when compared to the same period in 2011.
Analysts also noted that the company saw a 16 percent drop in used-game sales, which has traditionally been a solid moneymaker for the company.
I won't gloat just yet since we've got two consoles potentially launching at the end of the year.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2013, 06:53 PM

Xi3 'Piston' mini PC - A version of Steam Box?
Why make something so small? That just restricts the potential. Make a normal-sized console with good performance components, not a crippled little toy that will lose relevance faster.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2013, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Why make something so small? That just restricts the potential. Make a normal-sized console with good performance components, not a crippled little toy that will lose relevance faster.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/09/e...ox-prototypes/
Some more Steam box prototype PCs, mostly SFF type cases. Here's the face of the Piston with the ports in it

Ethernet, USB, E-SATA, HDMI, Display Port, optical audio and 3.5mm jacks. If you've got stuff to plug into it and fill all 20 ports, it's going to be really pretty under the TV .

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2013, 12:33 AM

Forza Horizon : So as you complete races, you get points towards a new bracelet (with a new colour) which in turn opens up more races.

I had completed the first level, spent money tuning my car, done a few challenges against other drivers while cruising around. All good fun. Last night I started the next level of races. And the fun factor went down rapidly.

I had to buy cars to drive in the races. Why? Why can't I use my car (downgraded if necessary) to drive in these races? Why allow me to tune my car if I can only ever use the fully tuned car on the road and not in races? Why, no matter what, do I start in last place, even if I have a good record? Why no matter what difficulty setting I choose, does everyone else accelerate away much faster than I do when starting a race?

Quite frustrating, I may slap in NFS again.
I just popped in Forza Horizon as I just finished Halo 4 and NFS: Most Wanted. The game is nothing short of beautiful! As I pumped in about 3 hours of gameplay, I felt the same frustrations as you. I had to pay to downgrade my car so I could enter a rally race! WTF?! Who ever heard of such a concept? Other than that I've fallen in love. Definitely worth the $15 I paid on Microsoft's website during the holiday season!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2013, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
I just popped in Forza Horizon as I just finished Halo 4 and NFS: Most Wanted. The game is nothing short of beautiful! As I pumped in about 3 hours of gameplay, I felt the same frustrations as you. I had to pay to downgrade my car so I could enter a rally race! WTF?! Who ever heard of such a concept? Other than that I've fallen in love. Definitely worth the $15 I paid on Microsoft's website during the holiday season!
Yeah it is beautiful, and in fact once you win a few races and buy a few cars, my complaints are less valid. Save up a bit, get the Lambo, and see what top speed you can get on the motorway. Then tune it, not auto tune and see what top speed you can get. I had 2 Lambos and the auto tuned one was less powerful than my (limited) personal tuning efforts.

Let me know what you think about not having to worry about cops. To me it was such a relief after NFS.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 16, 2013, 12:12 PM

Not the best post, but I haven't been able to locate a link to my liking. Any thoughts on Oculus Rift? I'm a motion control hater, but I'm open to something like Oculus which would incredibly add to immersion. Of course, they need to make it comfortable, but as a Virtual Boy owner, I'd still be open to playing with it sometimes.

---

Second, I believe it's been a while; I seem to recall someone claiming they'd be able to figure out to IW-Activision settlement size later on down the road. Any word on that?

P
Jan 17, 2013, 07:09 PM

Eyes-on with Valve's Steambox prototypes
Some more Steam box prototype PCs, mostly SFF type cases. Here's the face of the Piston with the ports in it

Ethernet, USB, E-SATA, HDMI, Display Port, optical audio and 3.5mm jacks. If you've got stuff to plug into it and fill all 20 ports, it's going to be really pretty under the TV .
I wonder how much it weighs? I know how hard it is to make a 7-port USB hub stay in one spot on your desk - or even flat on it. Too light, and the Piston thingy is going to moving around all on its own. Fitting, in a way.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2013, 07:03 AM

Not Pac-Man. Pac-Man with gravity, move left or right to spin the maze around, and the yellow guy falls whichever way is down. Stabyourself.net - Not Pacman

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2013, 10:56 AM

PS4 speculation?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2013, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
PS4 speculation?
Here's some. UPDATED: PS4 is 50% more powerful than Xbox 720 - INTERNET EXPLODES | Games industry news | MCV

P
Jan 21, 2013, 09:02 AM

So they're both going to use GPUs based on AMD graphics, and at least the PS4 have AMD CPU cores as well, but one is somehow more full of awesome than the other.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 21, 2013, 10:20 AM

PS4 AMD? Butbut Kaz! What about your winning strategy!

"We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?" explained Hirai.

"So it's a kind of--I wouldn't say a double-edged sword--but it's hard to program for," Hirai continued, "and a lot of people see the negatives of it, but if you flip that around, it means the hardware has a lot more to offer."

P
Jan 21, 2013, 11:10 AM

That's not the reason (and yes, I realize that you probably figured that out...). The PS1 was trivial to program for, because Sony was the underdog, and needed to attract developers. After that. the PS2 and PS3 were difficult because Sony was on top with the previous generation, and it was in their interest that the games made for their platform not be easy to port to other platforms. Now Sony is down in the pack again (I think the PS3 eventually overtook the 360 in worldwide lifetime sales, but if so, it was barely, and it's nowhere near the Wii), so the PS4 will be easy to program for again.

Anyway, Feral's upcoming games radar has been updated (about a month ago), and two of the teasers have been identified to Lego Lord of the Rings - to absolutely no surprise - and XCOM: Enemy Unknown - which will mean that it will get a quite late Mac port. Better late than never...

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 21, 2013, 11:12 AM

(I think the PS3 eventually overtook the 360 in worldwide lifetime sales, but if so, it was barely, and it's nowhere near the Wii)
It's a point of contention thanks to sales vs. shipped, plus that entire Japan being xenophobic thing. For all intents and purposes it's a tie.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2013, 01:41 PM

Be interested to know what those who spent a while in Skyrim think of this : Bethesda starts taking Elder Scrolls Online beta applications | Ars Technica

If there was a Mac port ...

P
Jan 23, 2013, 05:55 AM

Don't care about MMOs. Didn't care about WoW despite playing way too much WC2, didn't care about TOR despite liking KOTOR, won't care about this. Bethesda should get moving on that Fallout 4 instead, there are leaks enough about it.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2013, 12:09 AM

THQ bankruptcy auction results

Item #1 - Relic - Developer of the Company of Heroes titles and Warhammer 40k titles, includes all assets for Company of Heroes but NOT Warhammer 40k
Winning bidder: SEGA
Winning bid: $26.6 million
Back-up bidder: Zenimax Media
Back-up bid: $26.3 million

Item # 2 - Montreal - Developer of the upcoming 1666 and Underdog
Winning bidder: Ubisoft
Winning bid: $2.5 million
Back-up bidder: None

Item # 3 - Evolve - Upcoming game being developed by Turtle Rock
Winning bidder: Take-Two Interactive Software
Winning bid: $10.894 million
Back-up bidder: Turtle Rock Studios
Back-up Bid: $250,000

Item # 4 - Volition - Developer of the Saint's Row franchise, includes all assets for Saints Row
Winning bidder: Koch Media GmbH (Parent company of Deep Silver, the Dead Island developer)
Winning bid: $22,312,925
Back-up bidder: Ubisoft
Back-up bid: $5.4 million

Item #5 - Homefront - All assets related to Homefront and Homefront 2
Winning bidder: Crytek
Winning bid: $544,218

Item #6 - Metro - All assets related to Metro 2033 and Metro 2034
Winning bidder: Koch Media
Winning bid: $5,877,551
Back-up bidder: Ubisoft
Back-up bid: $5.175 million

Item #7 - South Park - All assets related to South Park: The Stick of Truth
Winning bidder: Ubisoft
Winning bid: $3,265,306

In going further into the documents, there is not one mention of the fate for the Warhammer 40k license or the WWE license. SEGA did not pick up the Warhammer 40k license when they acquired Relic, leaving the assumption that the licenses will revert back to the license holder, in these cases Games Workshop and WWE Inc.
Crytek bought the rights to Homefront for a half million dollars. What a steal! I actually liked Homefront and Crytek did a superb job with the Far Cry series.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2013, 12:13 AM

P
Jan 24, 2013, 05:35 AM

Ubisoft bought back the main designer of AC 1 and 2, and noone bid for Darksiders.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2013, 08:30 AM

Didn't see, or I missed, Far Cry 3 experiences/thoughts. I've just bought it today.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 24, 2013, 10:05 AM

Homefront to Crytek sounds like a good deal. WOnder how far along 2 was though.

Didn't see, or I missed, Far Cry 3 experiences/thoughts. I've just bought it today.
Looked good from what I saw. Combo of a lot of games rolled into one.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2013, 10:49 AM

Yeah, Crytek Got a very good deal for Homefront.

Over $22,000,000 for Volition and Saint's Row. WOW! At least that means I'll see a Saint's Row 4.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2013, 06:07 PM

Looked good from what I saw. Combo of a lot of games rolled into one.
Its a 1st person Red Dead. And so far I really like it.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2013, 10:06 PM

EA now has a demo of Origin available for the Mac. This is not a joke. A game publisher that doesn't have any Mac games is opening a store for selling Mac games. Stranger than fiction, this is.

Origin

P
Jan 25, 2013, 04:24 AM

I imagine software for pushing DLC is top priority at the EA headquarters.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2013, 10:06 AM

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2013, 10:13 AM

Since I bough the Orange Box on steam I wonder if this will show up attached to the PC versions I technically own.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2013, 11:08 AM

I think the beta will only show up in your Mac client if you already own the Windows version.

Forum Links
Forum Rules