Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > general controls settings....

general controls settings....
dpc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2001, 12:26 AM

I've had a G4/400 for over a month now, and have finally discovered a problem that's been driving me nuts. The General Controls panel is not remembering the settings. I tried trashing the preferences file but that didn't work. In particular I want to use the "Last folder used in the application" setting, but it reverts to the "Folder set by application."

Any ideas as to what I can do to fix it? I'd prefer not to reinstall the system.

Thanks,
Paul Chiappini

Cipher13
Jun 30, 2001, 04:28 AM

Zap the PRAM.
Reboot, and hold Apple-Option-P-R then let go after the third chime.

Or, open your G4, and press the small, flat black button near the battery, near the PCI slots. Bottom-back of the mobo.

Or take the battery out for 10 mins or so. All does the same thing.

Trash those prefs before the procedure, shut down, then again, after it.

[ 06-30-2001: Message edited by: Cipher13 ]

maclove
Jul 3, 2001, 10:31 PM

Or use the program TechTool Lite 3.0.1 free it can zap your memory and rebuild your desktop.

George Orville
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2001, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by maclove:
<STRONG>Or use the program TechTool Lite 3.0.1 free it can zap your memory and rebuild your desktop. </STRONG>
I would not recommend Tech Tool Lite to any one, until it gets fixed.. People are using it and can,t bootup because some of the testing by Tech Tool causes the System Folder to become invisible........ This has been documented on forums, such as MacFixit, Macnn,MacWorld & Apple.......
bigbiker

dpc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2001, 08:27 PM

I zapped the PRAM and that didn't work, but I think I figured it out. The Multiple User extension and control panel need to be loaded. Multiple users can still be turned off.

I had them disabled in the control panel, and I think that was causing the problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules