Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Dual Screen Problem

Dual Screen Problem
rebo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2007, 02:10 PM

Hi , got a seemingly small problem here at work I use a dual screen attached to my macbook pro, then detach and work at home on only the laptop.

The problem is that if I forget to move every single window accross from the dual screen onto the laptop screen before I quit for the day, all my applications are stuck on the invisible space on the second screen. Is there a way to re-arrange the windows back onto the main laptop screen?

I know there is a "gather-windows" command in the display preference but this is only visible when a second screen is attached.

rebo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2007, 02:22 PM

Okay ignore this, for some reason yesterday it wasnt working. Today it automatically transfers the windows back over to my laptops screen. Its possibly to do with the the fact that im now using a DVI lead to my second monitor and not a DVI to vga adapter.

thanks anyhow

ibook_steve
Mar 23, 2007, 04:02 PM

I would be slightly concerned about this because it means that your computer did not detect the disconnection of the second monitor. To ensure that it always works correctly, always disconnect the monitor while the machine is awake. There is no need to sleep it before disconnecting the monitor.

Steve

gin8u
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2007, 05:08 PM

i have a question though,
where would i purchase an extention wire to connect my laptop to an iMac ?

ibook_steve
Mar 23, 2007, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by gin8u View Post
i have a question though,
where would i purchase an extention wire to connect my laptop to an iMac ?
I don't understand what you are trying to do.

Steve

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2007, 06:35 PM

If you're trying to use the iMac screen as an extension to your laptop, there is no easy way.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2007, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
If you're trying to use the iMac screen as an extension to your laptop, there is no easy way.
Check out ScreenRecycler.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2007, 11:45 AM

rebo -- I see similar issues when using my 22" monitor at work with my MacBook. I use my MacBook in clamshell mode and when I go back to using my MacBook's screen, some of the windows aren't in visible range. What I normally do is call Exposé (F9 or F10) to bring the windows together.

Forum Links
Forum Rules