Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Next level piracy: Illegal Paying Users

Next level piracy: Illegal Paying Users
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 10, 2014, 11:35 AM

Sony Pictures mad at Netflix’s failure to block overseas VPN users | Ars Technica

Netflix do not closely monitor where some of their subscribers are registering from and don’t take steps to counter circumvention websites that allow people in, for example, Australia, to sign up to the US or the UK Netflix service and subscribe illegally (Netflix don’t as of now have a service in Australia, nor do they have Australian rights for our content). We have asked Netflix to take steps to more closely monitor circumvention websites, and to restrict methods of payment to more clearly weed out subscribers signing up for the service illegally. This is in effect another form of piracy—one semi-sanctioned by Netflix, since they are getting paid by subscribers in territories where Netflix does not have the rights to sell our content.
We have expressed our deep dissatisfaction with their approach and attitude. I’m sure other studios feel the same way, especially as we are now hearing from clients in Australia, South Africa and Iceland (to name a few) where significant numbers of people are able to subscribe to Netflix.
It's a terrible world for studios where people are able to circumvent region filtering to pay the same price as everyone else for content rather than just download it off their preferred torrent site for free.

These sorts of statements make me irrationally angry.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2014, 12:24 PM

Those kinds of statements demonstrate clearly why the dinosaurs are dying out.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 10, 2014, 01:11 PM

Same thing as region codes on optical media. It's not about customer "stealing", it's about control. Studio control of regional prices, release schedules, and customer resale rights.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 10, 2014, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Same thing as region codes on optical media. It's not about customer "stealing", it's about control. Studio control of regional prices, release schedules, and customer resale rights.
It's not illegal, though.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2014, 02:45 PM

not surprised. I tried going over VPN to TWC in tokyo when my yen for Japanese TV ran out... that didn't work, at all.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

yuriwho
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2014, 07:11 AM

yea, Hulu cracked down on Hola and I can no longer use that. Netflix still works. I'm beginning to get frustrated with the corps and thinking of running for office in order to fix this shit.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2014, 08:28 AM

Please do.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2014, 10:54 AM

Many tech-savvy people here in Canada VPN for Netflix in order to sign up to the American version. Other than more local content (re: more C-list Canadian content), the Canadian Netflix is pretty content-bare compared to the US version.

I pay for illegal sports streaming. The official streaming apps almost always black out "local" games - which means games being shown on local TV. For Canada, which has two or three massive content providers spanning the entire country, that means that almost any game involving Canadian teams, or almost every "big name" game you`d want to see, is blacked out and requires TV viewing. Of course this all controlled by and stems from the sport's TV distribution deals - so really, our large Canadian content providers are trying to require you to have cable TV to watch Canadian games or prime-time games, but if you want to see any other games that might not be on local TV, you need to pay the streaming provider extra for expensive streaming access, on top of your internet package.

I got fed up, cancelled my cable TV, got unlimited-bankwidth internet, and pay illegally to have streaming without blackout restrictions. I know it might end at any time (and likely will), but I'm happy to give money to a service that does exactly what my content providers refuse to do, even though they easily could.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2014, 08:51 PM

Somewhat related to this, you can buy malware packages on the black market. They even offer customer service, will generate trouble tickets, the whole deal.

Of course, the malware you buy may have its own hidden payload...

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2014, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Those kinds of statements demonstrate clearly why the dinosaurs are dying out.
The studios are dying out? Where? The darkest timeline?

OreoCookie
Dec 15, 2014, 11:05 AM

I've got a lot of friends who pay for streaming of sports events, simply because they cannot get the content (without a satellite dish). I've also toyed with the idea. Netflix in this respect is great: a Brazilian friend of mine uses his »Brazilian« Netflix account here in Canada, and as far as I understand that's intentional. Of course, you only have access to the »local« Netflix library. These ancient laws were not made for an age of international distribution of media.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2014, 02:53 PM

How do you guys feel about the Pirate Bay seize?

I'm torn. I totally get that it benefits us to have a distributed network that allows us to share the info we want to share, that the technology itself is not the problem, Pirate Bay could just as easily be used to leak political information that some would feel should be made available to the public, freedom, blah blah blah...

However, at the end of the day, there is a lot of piracy of intellectual property that gets pirated. I'm most sensitive to music piracy, particularly those that aren't backed by a major label. I don't think we should be leaking each other's sex tapes and stuff either.

I kind of missed the days of the internet where it required geeks to do things like this, rather than any old douche.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2014, 03:11 PM

I think anyone who doesn't license their IP as CC-Non Commercial (or the like) is out of their ****ing minds.

Amber Neely
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2014, 10:11 PM

As someone who watches literally almost no television or movies, things like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime largely don't concern me. I think in the 2 years I've had Amazon Prime, I've managed to watch maybe 30 episodes of various things on it, if that.

But I do understand why they concern everyone else. I dunno, there will be times when I try to link my friend, who lives a bit over two hours away from me (just outside of Toronto, in Ontario) music videos from Youtube, and she'll be like "DUDE. I'm not from the States, I can't see that!" Apparently non-USA youtube is incredibly barren in a lot of places where you wouldn't expect.

It feels really weird. It's clearly not a money issue (re: Netflix/Prime/Hulu, not Youtube) because I assume that non-USA $15/month or $80/year or whatever spends just as nicely as people's cash State-side. The fact that they're like NO NO NO listen it's about regional pricing or controlling release dates or whatever. Just take peoples money for chrissakes.

And as for traditional cable providers? Hell, I can barely stand TWC as my internet provider, and I can't even imagine having them as a TV provider. But Erie's monopolized by 'em, so what'cha gonna do. I managed to talk them down from an outrageous $50/month for internet to $30/month, though.

I dunno. Until they figure out how to let me à la carte PBS, Cooking Channel, CreateTV, Food Network, Discovery, and Sci, I think I'll be content to largely not watch TV. I still feel for those who actually want to watch TV, though, and can't.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2014, 10:25 PM

I've actually never heard of YouTube videos blocked from Canada to be honest. But Hulu/Prime/all sorts of private video providers, yes.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Amber Neely
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2014, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
I've actually never heard of YouTube videos blocked from Canada to be honest. But Hulu/Prime/all sorts of private video providers, yes.
It depends on who owns the youtube account. Vevo has regional filtering etc etc. Occasionally, the USA is blocked from viewing videos as well. I'm surprised you've never seen this gem of an image.

Forum Links
Forum Rules