Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMacs available

New iMacs available (Page 2)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2005, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by eddiecatflap
whats the point of buying a low end tower now ?
There was never any point in buying the SP tower. The "cheap" dual tower still gives you 2 CPUs and more expandability so I don't think it will be hurt too much, even though some who were on the fence will now go for the iMac.

Appleman  (op)
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by polendo
I saw the 20 inch iMac at compusa the other day and the screen is so darn huge (was the first time I saw it). I think this is amazing value across the board for the iMac line. Even the 17 inch at 1299 with those specs is a nice value. Getting 4-5 years of use for those iMacs means a cost of 260-325 USD per year (is nothing!)... and with those specs.. I think it really does carry alot of value.
Can you please send "nothing" on a yearly base to me then?

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2005, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Appleman
Can you please send "nothing" on a yearly base to me then?
Sure.. what is it in for moi? hahaha How about a yearly tour of those nice spots you guys have in the Netherlands?

regards!

Appleman  (op)
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 06:59 PM

How about a yearly tour of those nice spots you guys have in the Netherlands?

regards!
Well, have a look here and meanwhile download the Google Phone Book Widget!

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2005, 07:15 PM

I'm in aw.. I have never ever thought that a garden like those could be so interesting. Really nice place.. where is that located?

regards

Appleman  (op)
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 07:20 PM

I'm in aw.. I have never ever thought that a garden like those could be so interesting. Really nice place.. where is that located?

regards
Keukenhof in Lisse, The Netherlands. A bit south of Amsterdam. Chau, ahora una cerveza

trip
Forum Regular
May 3, 2005, 07:33 PM

Nice pics. Reminds me of the Butchart Gardens in Victoria BC. Would be nice to go to the netherlands one day. hmm...
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations". --David Friedman

Appleman  (op)
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by trip
Nice pics.
hm, made with an ancient Nikon Coolpix 2500: 2 megapixels...

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 08:27 PM

i think i will get an imac and trade my powerbook
iamwhor3hay

trip
Forum Regular
May 3, 2005, 08:39 PM

phoned my local apple store. 1 -2 weeks before they arrive. I can't wait. 2x512 cards should be enough right !?!
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations". --David Friedman

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2005, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by WOPR
As long as they buy Applecare with it!
Why? It's a good deal without Applecare.

Chris

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 3, 2005, 09:25 PM

Shipping on or before May 10, 2005.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2005, 02:33 AM

This is exactly the "version 2" I'd hoped for since last fall! My main complaint with the G5 iMac was the ridiculously low-end graphics, and they've taken care of that, then doubled the video memory, doubled the included RAM, added faster CPU, bigger harddrives, gigabit ethernet, thrown in Airport & Bluetooth for free, and dropped the price $100 ..... how could I resist ordering a tricked out 20" iMac now?

I'm a happy Apple-camper once more!

Now, about that G5 PowerBook that I need around Christmas time this year ........

iBorg

Appleman  (op)
Mac Elite
May 4, 2005, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by trip
phoned my local apple store. 1 -2 weeks before they arrive. I can't wait. 2x512 cards should be enough right !?!
While more is better with OS X, it all depends what you want to do with your Mac:
websurfing and email, wordprocessor etc 256 would be enough (after all, Apple used to think so two days ago...).
For more heavy stuff like iMovie, FCP you would like to have more near to 8GB RAM, but that means PowerMac, as the name says it all, it has more power (possibilities).

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2005, 04:17 AM

I've been considering a 20" iMac for a while now. I've got a Rev B 12" powerbook, that I bought to use alongside my PC, but almost instantly became a desktop replacement. It's never been an ideal desktop replacement, and it really is starting to struggle now, so I'm drooling over the new 20" iMac. The one problem is I think my girlfriend will string me up, as we're looking to buy a house in the next couple of months and need all the money we can lay our hands on. Strangely her priorities on these things are a little different to mine .
( Last edited by Thorin; May 4, 2005 at 04:33 AM. )
12" Rev B PB

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 4, 2005, 04:52 AM

[offtopic]buyin a house with your gf? are you nuts!!![/back ontopic]
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2005, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by iREZ
[offtopic]buyin a house with your gf? are you nuts!!![/back ontopic]
Probably

We've rented together for 4 years now (living as a couple the whole time), so it's time to stop pouring money down a hole and buy .

First time I've ever had to take somebody else into account when I've wanted to splurge on a new toy though. Being a grown up(ish) sucks
12" Rev B PB

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2005, 07:48 AM

I JUST ordered a 20, kept the hard drive as is but added 1gb of memory. I was considering the PowerMac, had it my shopping cart even but decided to go with the iMac. It will mostly be for my kids so that helped the decision but mainly - it was the awesome value that Apple brought to this upgrade. I particularly liked the inclusion of wifi and the other incremental upgrades. Getting tiger too is a total bonus. I think Apple will do very nicely with this upgrade.

eddiecatflap
Baninated
May 4, 2005, 10:41 AM

i looked up the ati site and it looks like the 9600 is the pro version

anyone confirm this ?

adam1185
May 4, 2005, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by eddiecatflap
i looked up the ati site and it looks like the 9600 is the pro version

anyone confirm this ?
Where were you looking? There's an ATi press release that just say 9600 and not 9600 pro

" MARKHAM, Ontario--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 4, 2005--For the first time since its introduction, the iMac G5 will feature graphics from ATI Technologies Inc. (TSX:ATY)(NASDAQ:ATYT). Leaders in the high-end graphics experience, ATI and Apple� have teamed to offer the Radeon� 9600 for both the iMac and eMac, giving users cinematic quality graphics for the full range of digital lifestyle applications. As Apple continues to broaden its consumer product line-up, ATI graphics are now available in the iMac, eMac, Mac mini, PowerBook, iBook and PowerMac.

"Apple continues to blaze a trail in 3D graphics, using the graphics processor for functions well beyond gaming. Having Apple recognize the value of integrating ATI graphics into the iMac is a real testament to our continuing technology leadership in the Apple market," said Rick Bergman, Senior Vice President, PC Business Unit, ATI Technologies. "The user experience remains the focus of both ATI and Apple and these new systems clearly carry on that tradition."

The new iMac and eMac feature the Radeon 9600, designed with 128MB of memory and 128 bit architecture, giving users incredible performance, resulting in a compelling graphics experience. The Radeon 9600 accelerates a range of applications, from presentations and real-time games to home entertainment and video editing.

ATI is the leading supplier of desktop and mobile graphics technology for the Apple platform, including retail boards and on-board systems. For more information about ATI's Mac products, please visit www.ati.com/products/mac.html"

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2005, 07:58 PM

I am selling my PowerBook and I am ordering a new 20" iMac....This is the best Mac update I have seen in a very long time!
::12" PowerBook G4 | 1.33GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | APX | OS X 10.4.1::
::30GB iPod Photo::

Macpilot
Mac Elite
May 4, 2005, 11:11 PM

I just ordered the 20" iMac today with my employee discount. This is one killer deal of a computer.

I too am selling my Powerbook 15/1.5/128/80/2gig/SD with my 20" Cinema Display and lots of goodies. I no longer need a portable anymore.

Gonna get one of those arms from www.lcdarms.com for the iMac. Think it is called the "iLift".
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

trip
Forum Regular
May 4, 2005, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Macpilot
I just ordered the 20" iMac today with my employee discount. This is one killer deal of a computer.

I too am selling my Powerbook 15/1.5/128/80/2gig/SD with my 20" Cinema Display and lots of goodies. I no longer need a portable anymore.

Gonna get one of those arms from www.lcdarms.com for the iMac. Think it is called the "iLift".
mee too, but I plan to buy this arm http://www.omnimount.com/product.asp?p=40

the iLift is like $ 339 US where as the omnimount is $89. The only thing the iLift does is more up down, which is only needed if you go from sitting to standing alot.

markb8705
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2005, 11:47 PM

mine will be here by Monday at the latest

20 inch
250 GB HD
1 GB RAM
MX1000 Logitech

BJNY
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2005, 06:47 AM

What brand hard drive is inside these new iMacs?

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2005, 06:54 AM

Apple UK are doing 6 months free credit - a 17" is on it's way to me soon

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2005, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by markb8705
mine will be here by Monday at the latest

20 inch
250 GB HD
1 GB RAM
MX1000 Logitech
Where is it shipping from? Did you order from Apple? I note it's a BTO in terms of RAM.

My order has been "Sent to Manufacturing". It's a BTO with everything but RAM. I was thinking it was going to ship from Shanghai or something, but that doesn't quite make sense if you're is coming on Monday, unless you ordered from a 3rd party who is putting RAM into a stock config.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 5, 2005, 12:33 PM

Order placed.

2GHz 17" model with BTO'd wireless keyboard and mouse, plus an AirPort Express.

$1,656.01 from ExperCom including UPS Ground. Not a bad deal at all.

I called to ask if they knew if you only get the thirty free iTunes songs with the AirPort Express when you order directly from Apple and that is apparently the case. So they went ahead and knocked the price on the thing down to $117 to kinda price match.

I'm happy.

They're estimating a ship time 3-4 days from now. Not bad.

Gonna add two 512MB Crucials and the 300GB 16MB Maxtor from my Dual G5 (which is going bye-bye), should make for a nice machine.

w00t!
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 5, 2005, 01:50 PM

^ You're doing away w/ your Dual 1.8? Space reasons?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 5, 2005, 02:16 PM

Space reasons are part of it. I also hate my craptastic Acer LCD and really don't feel up to shelling out for an Apple LCD to get the aesthetics I want. Mainly because it would push my total setup cost way too high considering my usage habbits are paralleling with those of your average 13 year old girl (AIM, MP3s and web).

I have also been moving more and more toward a conservative computer setup. Just a year or two ago, I had three or four monitors and 10+ machines around my room. Now in my own apartment I am down to the one computer in this room and have been wanting to go even more conservative. An iMac with a wireless keyboard and mouse and wireless internet with a wireless printer hooked to the AirPort station is just incredibly appealing to me now.

Plus, selling the Dual G5 and the Acer LCD to go to the iMac will yield me some spare cash. Not a whole lot, but putting some money in the bank is better than not putting any in.

And finally, I am seriously wanting to move, and am trying to get mobile. Throwing out old and useless equipment and so on. I figure if I moved, the PMG5 would probably have to go for sale because I don't feel like dragging an array of equipment with me wherever I end up going. The iMac is so small and compact that hanging onto it wont be a big deal.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2005, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Gonna add two 512MB Crucials and the 300GB 16MB Maxtor from my Dual G5 (which is going bye-bye), should make for a nice machine.
The iMac only has two memory slots, and already comes with one 512 MB stick.
I'm gonna add a 1 GB for a total of 1.5 GB. I lose dual channel that way, but whatever.

BTW, my order has changed to:

"Replaced with New Product
We constantly strive to bring you the latest technologies, and one of our innovations has affected you. After you placed your order, we introduced an upgrade to a product you wanted, so we replaced the product with the upgraded version. The total cost of your order has not increased. You can get the details about your new product by visiting the Apple Store.
"

WTF? I ordered AFTER the new iMac was announced. I hope this doesn't hold up my order.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 5, 2005, 02:55 PM

^ This is happening across the board (Powermacs too)...Apple says they're just late changing the internal part #s but the automated program doesn't know that. Everything's fine...it's talking about the new iMac you ordered after the update.

And to Lateralus, that's cool. If I were moving around I'd consider that as well. If you don't need the power, you could certainly use the cash, eh?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 5, 2005, 02:58 PM

I'm aware. But I seek conformity. So I'll be taking out the preinstalled 512MB stick so I can use the two Crucials.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

selw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2005, 05:24 AM

My money is on PB G5 at WWDC......he's (steve) got a rabbit to pull out of the bag and that will be it!

Frogmella
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2005, 06:17 AM

I've ordered the 20" (my first new Mac since the original iMac G3!). Sent to manufacturing (4 days),and since I'm in the UK, looks like it'll be up to a week more to wait for delivery.

Could I therefore ask our American friends who receive one of the new iMacs to post their observations. Specifically:
- is the poor disk performance (particularly when compared to the eMac) fixed?
- taking the back off, have they reorganised to prevent the cooling and power supply problems?

Cheers.

thesearcher
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2005, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by chabig
Why? It's a good deal without Applecare.

Chris
I guess that depends on how willing one is to put up with the rev A's fan issues.

Appleman  (op)
Mac Elite
May 7, 2005, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by selw
My money is on PB G5 at WWDC......he's (steve) got a rabbit to pull out of the bag and that will be it!
I really doubt they will come with it. Thermal challenge blablabla. Even IF they will have one (sooner or later) it won't have the same processors.
What I never understood :why nobody ever made a laptop / notebook without thinking about battery problems. Some of us just want to have a mobile computer in order to bring it from place A to place B to place C, where as those places / locations A, B and C all have power outlets. I mean not everybody needs to use a laptop in a train or plane. Ceratinly I don't. But marketing research probably has shown people do not want this. Well, we have the mini now, but still one needs a screen to carry.

Oneota
Professional Poster
May 7, 2005, 08:36 AM

So what's the performance difference between the 9600XT and the vanilla 9600? I'm sure it won't be too long before we see a Power Mac vs iMac gaming shoot-out, but I wouldn't think the difference would be that extreme (a few frames/sec, perhaps?).
( Last edited by Oneota; May 7, 2005 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Original question still stands)
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2005, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Oneota
So what's the performance difference between the 9600XT and the vanilla 9600? I'm sure it won't be too long before we see a Power Mac vs iMac gaming shoot-out, but I wouldn't think the difference would be that extreme (a few frames/sec, perhaps?).
The 9600 XT blows away the 9600. The 9600 isn't even the same league. The 9600 is much closer to the 5200 Ultra, but the 9600 is just a little less crappy:

9650 = 9600 XT > 9600 Pro >>> 9600 > 5200 Ultra.

The big win here IMO is the 128 MB RAM for the GPU on the new iMacs. It definitely leaves a performance cushion for games at high resolutions and for Expos� on larger screens.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
May 7, 2005, 10:41 AM

At least it still has a 128-bit memory bus, unlike the 64-bit X300SE that a lot of big PC makers provide as an alternative to Intel Extreme graphics with shared memory. But the 400 MHz (vs. 600 MHz) memory clock really hurts performance.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

NorMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2005, 11:20 AM

New iMacs available at the Apple Store
I`m so happy. After several years on the bench I finally did it. I bought the 20" iMac with everything at the Norwegian Apple Store. The last Mac I bought was an Macintosh Quadra 25mhz back in 1990. I was a worshipper from the FatMac in -85 or 86 (i believe) and through the Quadra, but it has been assorted Unix flavors and Wintel since then. I`m not sure what kept me in the dark for so long, it might have been wife, kids, work, amnesia, or some other near lethal disease. I hope I`m forgiven and that I`m welcome back. I feel kind of like the lost son, knowing that I have been unfaithful for all these years. After 15 years on the dark side, 5-7 days wait for delivery is way to long. I told my wife and kids that this only the first one and eventually we will replace 5-6 PC`s in this household over the next couple of years. And ofcourse we should all share the iMac. But I was partially lying. Its mine, all mine and noone will be allowed to touch it this side of the summer.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
May 7, 2005, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by NorMac
I`m so happy. After several years on the bench I finally did it. I bought the 20" iMac with everything at the Norwegian Apple Store. The last Mac I bought was an Macintosh Quadra 25mhz back in 1990. I was a worshipper from the FatMac in -85 or 86 (i believe) and through the Quadra, but it has been assorted Unix flavors and Wintel since then. I`m not sure what kept me in the dark for so long, it might have been wife, kids, work, amnesia, or some other near lethal disease. I hope I`m forgiven and that I`m welcome back. I feel kind of like the lost son, knowing that I have been unfaithful for all these years. After 15 years on the dark side, 5-7 days wait for delivery is way to long. I told my wife and kids that this only the first one and eventually we will replace 5-6 PC`s in this household over the next couple of years. And ofcourse we should all share the iMac. But I was partially lying. Its mine, all mine and noone will be allowed to touch it this side of the summer.
Congrats. I'm still deciding between the fail-safe expandability and interchangeability of the PowerMac vs. the awesome price/value of the 20" iMac.

as2
Mac Elite
May 7, 2005, 05:20 PM

Perfect timing! My old iMac DV broke the other day, and although the insurance are trying to fix it, I'm kinda hoping they don't, and just send me a new one!

Would be sweet to get a new 20" iMac as a replacement.

If not, I'll probably just get one anyway, hit bonus this quarter so may spend it on a shiny new Mac.
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

DancingBrook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2005, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by nunki
Is there an advantage to ordering through the online store versus buying at an Apple retail store or elsewhere?
Advantage at Apple online is more options for customization. eg You don't have to keep (ie pay for) the stock 512 dimm if you upgrade memory. Bigger HD and wireless keybrd/mouse options, etc..

markb8705
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2005, 11:46 AM

if u buy online you gotta wait for it to ship which sucks... go to your store and buy it and enjoy it that very moment!

Appleman  (op)
Mac Elite
May 8, 2005, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by DancingBrook
Advantage at Apple online is more options for customization. eg You don't have to keep (ie pay for) the stock 512 dimm if you upgrade memory.
That's right, you you don't have to kep the 512. BUT you do pay the for a 1GB RAM module more or less the same price as you would pay elsewhere for 2GB, so do the math.
I personally don't mind throw away 512, have 2GB and still have spent less than order 1GB and do not have the 512. And yes, your dealer normally has a Mac on stock while the Apple Store needs time to ship, at least often they do.

DancingBrook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2005, 12:31 PM

So do you toss the hard drive and keyboards too? And some memory else where can cause problems that your Apple Care won't deal with. I know, I know.. Apple memory prices are too high $300 a gig. Trade off: Safe to say Apple has higher standards and Apple will back it up when you have problems, not blame possible problems on third party memory.

Appleman  (op)
Mac Elite
May 8, 2005, 12:35 PM

So do you toss the hard drive and keyboards too? And some memory else where can cause problems that your Apple Care won't deal with. I know, I know.. Apple memory prices are too high $300 a gig. Trade off: Safe to say Apple has higher standards and Apple will back it up when you have problems, not blame possible problems on third party memory.
Since when is my garantee lost when I buy more RAM?

DancingBrook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2005, 01:04 PM

I didn't say your garentee was lost. Apple just won't blame, assume, use as an initial solution the elimination of your memory chip. If they know you have a third party chip, they may ask you to remove it when trouble shooting, to eliminate that potential problem. There are advantages to Apple having direct control over the hardware, software, displays, etc..; this is part of the Apple advantage. Introduce a third party and the finger pointing happens. Enevitable perhaps but not always with all choices. Just making folks aware of the trade offs; not advocating.

Appleman  (op)
Mac Elite
May 8, 2005, 01:11 PM

I didn't say your garentee was lost. Apple just won't blame, assume, use as an initial solution the elimination of your memory chip. If they know you have a third party chip, they may ask you to remove it when trouble shooting, to eliminate that potential problem. There are advantages to Apple having direct control over the hardware, software, displays, etc..; this is part of the Apple advantage. Introduce a third party and the finger pointing happens. Enevitable perhaps but not always with all choices. Just making folks aware of the trade offs; not advocating.
Third party? My PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz came with:

IBM CPU
Pioneer DVD-burner
Maxtor harddisk
ATI graphics card
Motorola modem
Samsung RAM

I added / changed:

NVIDIA 6800 Ultra graphics card for the ATI
2 GB RAM
80 GB 10.00rpm Western Digital Raptor
D-link Bluetooth USB-stick

going to add a PCI card from Adaptec with three additional USB and two FireWire 400 ports.

Imagine I have a problem, do you really think Apple will ask me to replace the graphics card with theirs underperforming ATI, take out the RAM and remove the Raptor, put the original Panter on it? Come on, it's a computer after all, not a Rembrandt!

Forum Links
Forum Rules