Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Windows or OS 9?!!!! Help me please!!!

Windows or OS 9?!!!! Help me please!!!
BuddingMaccer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2007, 12:28 AM

Hey all I'm wanting to purchase a budget laptop for basic word processing, internet access and music and the such and I've seriously been considering getting a Powerbook or iBook clamshell (gawd they look cool!) on the other hand I have used pentium based laptops with windows 95/98 etc. in the past and found them to be reliable. My dilemma is this, should I go for OS 9 over Windows 95/98 I mean I've been seriously considering it but I'm not completely sure yet. Input would be appreciated!

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Dec 31, 2007, 12:33 AM

get the clambook with OS9, for sure.

BuddingMaccer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2007, 12:44 AM

Yeah the clamshell is looking mighty sweet, it is a hell of a lot cheaper than a lot of pentium and celeron based laptops I have been looking at with infinitely better specs, I'm looking forward to playing with OS 9. What about the Powerbook, like a Wall street perhaps?
( Last edited by BuddingMaccer; Dec 31, 2007 at 12:45 AM. Reason: added Powerbook question)

Cold Warrior
Dec 31, 2007, 12:50 AM

I had a Wallstreet, purchased in August of 1998. It worked great (I sold it in late 2001, but it continued to run great even after I sold it). I ran several OS X versions on it — the beta, 10.0, and 10.1. By the time 10.2 came around, I was using a titanium PowerBook.

It runs OS 9 like a charm, if that's what you're considering putting on it.

BuddingMaccer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2007, 12:54 AM

Thanks, I just wanted some last minute input before I made any decisions.
Bah, to hell with windows I'm going classic Mac.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 31, 2007, 01:09 AM

Even though you've already made the right decision; OS 9

As somebody who has a love for older Apple hardware, I can say that aside from avoiding the issues with Windows 9x, the best reason to go with a 'vintage' Mac is that they really did have a certain charm to them that I think is lacking is modern Macs.

The PowerBook G3 'Pismo' in particular is generally regarded as one of the best Macs Apple has ever built. The PowerBook 3400c is also a very nice piece of work, albeit a bit clunky compared to the Pismo.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2007, 12:02 PM

I'd like to put in a plea for none of the above. What's your budget? Why not go for an OSX iBook?

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Dec 31, 2007, 12:04 PM

I agree - there was a real charm with that machine and OS 9 had a a ton of "personality" (albeit sometimes a bit petulant).

I had one of the first clamshells off the assembly line as well as one of the first airport setups off the assembly line - my first mac.

It still works well. When it was released Steve-O declared it a "rocketship" - it is still great for office-app stuff and web browsing is fine, as long as you pickup the latest mozilla or icab possible.

Loved the handle, the rubberized edge, the whole package.

It was also great to type on - the case is huge but it gives you a ton of nice palm rest area, and it meant that the screen itself was effectively elevated a bit from the bottom edge of the case, which improved visibility for me.

My next mac was a 500Mhz pismo - another legendary machine that still works well....

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2007, 02:01 PM

wallstreet ftw!
classic retro laptop action with a decent screen and resolution. Clamshell iBook screen is too small for good web surfin'

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2007, 02:10 PM

Forget Windows or Macs. If you want something cheap that'll still perform well, go with a laptop that'll run a current Linux distro. I ran Ubuntu on my 600mhz iBook and it vastly outperformed any version of MacOS that would run on it. Likewise for a Pentium 233 laptop.

BuddingMaccer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2007, 09:35 PM

I've actually been a Mac hater for some time due to OSX, I don't know why I just can't seem to get into it. I used to have an old LCIII running system 7 something and that classic aesthetic and functionality sort of charmed me.
I would seriously prefer to run OS 9 in preference to OSX (although I wouldn't totally begrudge using OSX as I'm not totally fickle), I mean OS 9 is a good operating system right? Bear in mind I'm wanting a budget laptop here comparing 9x to OS 9.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2007, 09:49 PM

OS9 might well hold some sentimental value for you, which is fine, but by pretty much every objective measure OSX kicks it's ass.

BuddingMaccer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2007, 10:02 PM

I've decided I'm going to go with the Clamshell G3, that USB will come in handy. As for the OS whatever comes preloaded will suit me; OS 9 or OS X, it matters not. Did any of the earlier powerbooks come with USB?.

Cold Warrior
Dec 31, 2007, 10:06 PM

Andrew_Campbell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2008, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
OS9 might well hold some sentimental value for you, which is fine, but by pretty much every objective measure OSX kicks it's ass.
I would sure hope so, after eight years of development.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2008, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by BuddingMaccer View Post
I've decided I'm going to go with the Clamshell G3, that USB will come in handy. As for the OS whatever comes preloaded will suit me; OS 9 or OS X, it matters not. Did any of the earlier powerbooks come with USB?.
No! Wrong. The screen on these is too small. Its only 800x600 while the G3 powerbooks are 1024x768.

I guarantee that within half an hour you'll be cursing the screen on the clamshell. A decent Wallstreet or a later Pismo (if you need the USB is a MUCH more capable machine all round. And the prices are pretty keen too.

packet of krisps
Jan 3, 2008, 08:51 PM

I can't take the clamshell seriously.

[15" MacBook Pro 2.6 Ghz] [G4 733] [G4 MDD DP 1.25]

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2008, 10:22 PM

OS 9 < Windows 2000 < Ubuntu < Windows XP < OS X
Are there even any modern browsers for OS 9?

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2008, 01:46 AM

Pismo with 10.4, I just lent mine to my sister who is in college and had her macbook HD die. It got her through the end of the semester and finals.

I must also recommend linux, but not on a PowerPC laptop.
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2008, 11:05 PM

A bit off topic, but I was so fed up with MacOS 9's constant crashing that I switched to Windows 2000 for virtually all of my serious work until OS X 10.1 was available.
I bought a 1GHz (fastest available at the time) P-III with 512MB of RAM. Would run months without needing a reboot (versus hours for MacOS 9).

Forum Links
Forum Rules