Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is it OK to use the MBA 13 while it is connected to the electrical outlet?

Is it OK to use the MBA 13 while it is connected to the electrical outlet?
Ron K
Nov 14, 2012, 05:22 PM

For the first year (since 2010) I used my MBA13 mostly plugged into the outlet and fully charged. I have never read about any problem with this. In this second year of use, I am more frequently (like half of the time) running on battery power, then fully charging it up before I use it again on battery power. So half time battery, and half time charging. Normally, when using battery power I run the battery down to anywhere from 40% to 50% before I recharge. And I never do a partial recharge, say from 50% to 75% or 80%; always to a full 100% I somehow picked up that it is not good for the battery to partially recharge.

One other question is how far down can one run the battery down and still not cause problems for the battery life? On a couple of occasions, I have absentmindedly run the battery all the way down to the warning before the battery was fully depleted. I do not recommend this, but I also do not know if it causes any harm. Thanks for advising on these questions.
2014 (mid) MBP: 15" with Retina display; 2.2GHz Intel quad Core i7, 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3, 256 Flash Storage

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2012, 05:59 PM

Just use it and do not worry about it. Best is partial battery usage (imagine a commuter usage). Do not run 100% wall power.

-Allen

Ron K  (op)
Nov 14, 2012, 07:54 PM

Thanks
2014 (mid) MBP: 15" with Retina display; 2.2GHz Intel quad Core i7, 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3, 256 Flash Storage

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2012, 01:40 AM

Its generally good to completely flatten the battery on occasion. Once every couple of months or so. I know people who leave their laptops plugged in all the time without issues. This is why Apple charges so much for its power adaptors and batteries. If you leave a PC laptop plugged in while fully charged, the battery will tend to die overnight. Not so with Macs.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2012, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Its generally good to completely flatten the battery on occasion. Once every couple of months or so. I know people who leave their laptops plugged in all the time without issues. This is why Apple charges so much for its power adaptors and batteries. If you leave a PC laptop plugged in while fully charged, the battery will tend to die overnight. Not so with Macs.
AFAIK, neither the external supply nor the battery have anything to do with it. Power management is taken care of by the computer's PMU and charging by the power supply circuitry on the power supply board (now generally part of the main logic board).

Forum Links
Forum Rules