Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What are your peeves

What are your peeves
Monique
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 11:57 AM

Because I workes as an operator for so long, noises ennoys the hell out of me. Like the noise the keys make, when someone unwrapped something or eat something out of a bag of chips for example.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 12:23 PM

rude people Annoy the hell out of me. for example, my dorm has this commons area and theres a tv and couchs/chairs, and i like to sit on the second row of couchs so i can put my feet up, sometimes a person sits RIGHT infront of me blocking my view and i ask them if they could move to the side or slouch down, and sometimes they just stare a† me like im bothering them.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 12:38 PM

i cant stand slurping and smacking when one eats and doesnt realize it. my friends try to annoy me by doing it on purpose and thats never a problem, but when people dont realize they eat loud :shivers: i just want to jump over the dining table and strangle them, this goes for family as well...thats how much it bothers me.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Y3a
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 12:46 PM

I hate SUV drivers who treat their SUV's like delicate little cars, or won't get over when someone pull up behind them in the left lane.

I hate fast food employees who can't understand or speak english.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 12:47 PM

Being a graphic designer, one of my biggest all time pet peeves is bad packaging. In particular, that vacuum sealed packaging that is nearly humanly impossible to open without using a very sharp tool. And once you bust into that packaging, the packaging itself becomes a lethal weapon, with incredibly sharp plastic edges. Anyone know the kind of packaging I'm talking about?

I have many other pet peeves though. But this is one of my biggest.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 1, 2006, 12:56 PM

People misusing apostrophes. People thinking they're special because of some brand of something they buy reflexively (usually without really knowing why they chose that brand in the first place), such as Ford or Chevy owners, quite a few Mac owners, and so on. Oh, and people who push my buttons intentionally-it irritates the nasal mucus out of me

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Rumor
Aug 1, 2006, 12:58 PM

Putting the toilet paper on backwards.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2006, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma::
Anyone know the kind of packaging I'm talking about?
Yes, it's that 1/8" super strong plastic that usually is in blister-pack form.

I narrowly avoid jamming a pair of scissors and/or a razor knife into my hand everytime I encounter them.

I have to many peeves to list, but I hate timid/scared drivers. People that, at an intersection, would rather sit and do nothing than assert themselves and actually drive. If you are to big a pu$$y to drive, trade in your car for a bike and get the hell outta my way.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2006, 01:06 PM

Noise.
People who don't get that I don't want to eat meat.
Speed limits.
Taxes.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 01:09 PM

The tone of voice and/or cadence of certain news anchors. MSNBC's Rita Whatsername sounds like she's eternally in the middle of an asthma attack, and that's on her good days. CNN's Wolf Blitzer is a robot, I'm convinced, whose droning voice is powered by a huge bellows attached to his back. Anderson Cooper and his constant nasal stuttering. Keith Olbermann literally drives me unconscious with his prolonged monologues. Must be because he's basically a sports announcer.

Things that don't work the way they were designed to work, esp. food/product packaging.

hickey
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 01:15 PM

people who insist on talking on their cell phones EXTREMELY loud, and those who use their "chrip" thing all the time in quiet areas. Also, people who stop in the middle of the sidewalk to look at architecture/strollers walking at least 4 abreast. I think we had a thread about the last one a while back.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor
Putting the toilet paper on backwards.
Which way is backward - the end in front or the end in back?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 01:32 PM

-Left lane whores...those people that aren't passing or turning left but continue to sit in the left lane. I hate passing on the right, I'm so paranoid that they're going to switch lanes into me.
-People who mess up easy spelling stuff when OS X has a built in spell checker
-People who put their cell phones on speakerphone in public and then hold the phone six inches away from their face to talk on it, usually for attention
-Arrogance
-People with extreme and biased opinions that cannot admit they're wrong...my opinion is FACT and it must not be questioned, if you do you're a ****ing ****head (eg Rob)
-People who preach tolerance but do not practice it
I'm sure there are more.

Re: toilet paper, It's been done!

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 01:40 PM

JC gossamer, whered you find that gem of a thread?

re: loud eaters
that bugs the heck out of me as well, i cannae stand it

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
gossamer, whered you find that gem of a thread?
I read some more of it and found this:
at least it hasnt been repeated as often as neons, why religion is dumb, homosexuals, PCs are faster than macs, what music are you listening to, beer, americans are the worst people on the planet, left leaning politics and their control over media, another republican plot to kill everyone in the universe, is apple going out of business, why cant my sigtag take up the entire browser window, the moderators around here are nazis, and neons.
Four years and nothing has changed!

reader50
Administrator
Aug 1, 2006, 01:50 PM

People we help here, who never tell us how the advice worked out. One has to assume it worked, because they often return later to ask about other problems. But nary a word about how successful (or not) our advice was.

Rumor
Aug 1, 2006, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell
Which way is backward - the end in front or the end in back?
The paper should be dangling off the front.

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2006, 02:13 PM

The top ten people and things that annoy me.

1) People not using their turn signals when making a turn.
2) People on their cells when they really should have both hands on the wheel (if they have two hands to begin with...) and both ears completely unobstructed.
3) People who block my driveway.
4) Others smoking in the car... especially when i'm in it.
5) Polluters (all kinds).
6) Sharp objects pointing at me............ even a bundle of forks and knives pointing upwards in a container to dry out after being washed makes me uneasy.
7) Sarcasm..... GOD.... how i religiously HATE sarcasm.
8) Mean or overly-critical people
9) Malls (i go in to get what i want..... i buy it...... i leave......fast)
10) Cities whos street signs are not clearly visible or are otherwise obstructed from view at the corner of an intersection.

Don't bully me, I got an Uzi... HOO-HAH!

kaze0
Aug 1, 2006, 02:39 PM

I hate when people say pet peeves instead of just peeves. ugh

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor
The paper should be dangling off the front.
YES! Finally someone who agrees with me on this debate!

And another peeve I just remembered:

Why is the damn "Help" key RIGHT next to the "Delete" key on U.S. keyboards?? I am constantly hitting "Help" (thereby getting the stupid Help app to load) when I really mean to hit "Delete".

Arrgh!!

Rumor
Aug 1, 2006, 02:47 PM

YES! Finally someone who agrees with me on this debate!

And another peeve I just remembered:

Why is the damn "Help" key RIGHT next to the "Delete" key on U.S. keyboards?? I am constantly hitting "Help" (thereby getting the stupid Help app to load) when I really mean to hit "Delete".

Arrgh!!
That's from M$ influence. Thier help is so unhelpful, it's just easier to delete and start fresh.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 02:53 PM

women who wear tight shirts and show lots of cleavage but get mad when you stare

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Rumor
Aug 1, 2006, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by nredman
women who wear tight shirts and show lots of cleavage but get mad when you stare
That one always has baffled me.

Fat women in spandex burns my retinas. Also, guys with thier belly button pierced.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2006, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
-Left lane whores...those people that aren't passing or turning left but continue to sit in the left lane. I hate passing on the right, I'm so paranoid that they're going to switch lanes into me.
-People who mess up easy spelling stuff when OS X has a built in spell checker
-People who put their cell phones on speakerphone in public and then hold the phone six inches away from their face to talk on it, usually for attention
-Arrogance
-People with extreme and biased opinions that cannot admit they're wrong...my opinion is FACT and it must not be questioned, if you do you're a ****ing ****head (eg Rob)
I'm sure there are more.

Re: toilet paper, It's been done!
I miss zigzag.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

evfish84
Aug 1, 2006, 03:11 PM

Arrgh!!
There's a "Help" key on US keyboards? I've never seen one. On mine, it's the "End" key.

[Edit:] That's on my PC at work. On my much more beautiful Powerbook, it's the "+" key.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by evfish84
There's a "Help" key on US keyboards? I've never seen one. On mine, it's the "End" key.

[Edit:] That's on my PC at work. On my much more beautiful Powerbook, it's the "+" key.
Its probably on the full sized Mac keyboard layout then. Every Mac keyboard I've used (aside from portables) has the Help key directly to the right of the Delete key. I need some sort of hack to disable that damned key.

evfish84
Aug 1, 2006, 03:24 PM

Its probably on the full sized Mac keyboard layout then. Every Mac keyboard I've used (aside from portables) has the Help key directly to the right of the Delete key. I need some sort of hack to disable that damned key.
Got it. I never owned a full sized Mac before.

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 03:29 PM

Unintelligent doctrine
When people pretend the Bible says stuff it doesn't
Hypocrisy in the Church
The general arrogance of academics
People who only think of themselves
People who only think of themselves and live in the same dorm room as you
Women who go to the gym and leg press ten pounds
People who think that their type of music is the only good type
People who force me to listen to country or rap
People who have no clue about Macs but tell me why they think their POS Dell is better
And lastly when people try and act as if they're knowledgeable on a subject but know jack, but go about correcting you

greenamp
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 03:30 PM

Damn dude you got a lot of peeves.

evfish84
Aug 1, 2006, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
And lastly when people try and act as if they're knowledgeable on a subject but know jack, but go about correcting you
That's definitely one of mine. Also, I hate people who listen to music really loudly in public areas. I don't care if they're in the car waiting in front of a building with their windows rolled down and their crappy rap garbage blaring, or if it's on the subway playing their iPod loud enough that the whole damn car can hear it, even when moving! We get it, you listen to crap - that doesn't mean we want to listen with you.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp
Damn dude you got a lot of peeves.
If I bothered to make a list of all my peeves, it wouldn't fit on the Internet.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 03:53 PM

• People who talk sh1t and when they get caught claim that they were only being 'sarcastic' (i.e. cowards).
  • People who have a preconceived notion of who I am, before even talking to me, and then start treating me according to their pre-formed opinion.
  • People who don't give a fu<k about factory farming and animal abuse, because they think that 'animals were made for human consumption', but b1tch and moan about every little crime committed in society.

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

hickey
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 04:16 PM

as stated in another thread, I HATE peoples screenames that have every other letter capitalized, than have a dozen numbers at the end of it. i.e. ScrEEnAmE1927391283

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 04:29 PM

people who dont pay attention in class than when the teacher starts doing an example after the teacher explains, that person is like "wait, what? please xplain" (there's this one girl in a class of mine that does this every single class)

lavar78
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 04:45 PM

people who dont pay attention in class than when the teacher starts doing an example after the teacher explains, that person is like "wait, what? please xplain" (there's this one girl in a class of mine that does this every single class)
It's even more annoying when you're a teacher. I refuse to explain as a courtesy to the people who actually do pay attention.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

hickey
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 04:51 PM

good lavar78, I hate those kids so much. Have some freakin respect for your teachers

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 04:54 PM

My high school Calc and Physics classes both fell waaay behind because of a single girl that did that all the time.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Aug 1, 2006, 05:00 PM

There are two things I can't stand. People who are intolerant of other peoples cultures... and the Dutch.

"Hello, what have we here?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 05:04 PM

someone likes gold member

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 05:05 PM

someone likes gold member

Yep, and I thought it fit in nicely with Gossamers post

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
There are two things I can't stand. People who are intolerant of other peoples cultures... and the Dutch.
Are you trying to use a movie quote to make the claim that I'm being hypocritical?
The example of Rob is more intolerance. So you could say that I'm intolerant of intolerance.

Nice try, though.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 05:14 PM

good lavar78, I hate those kids so much. Have some freakin respect for your teachers
Thanks, hickey. If kids actually had respect (for their teachers, their classmates, and themselves), teaching would be infinitely more enjoyable. If everyone also wanted to learn, it'd be the best job ever! It's nice to dream...

My high school Calc and Physics classes both fell waaay behind because of a single girl that did that all the time.
See, that's the risk you take if you give into those people.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 05:21 PM

People and everything they do. I have to include myself.

Especially people who constantly clear their nasal passages with lound snorts. Disgusting.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 05:27 PM

i dislike that too Pujols, sounds soo disgusting

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 05:39 PM

Are you trying to use a movie quote to make the claim that I'm being hypocritical?
The example of Rob is more intolerance. So you could say that I'm intolerant of intolerance.

Nice try, though.

Thanks I thought so also.

I was actually referring to all the religious "facts" you like to point make. The cash thing works nicely though also. Bad thing is you never pointed out why my comparison is wrong.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
Thanks I thought so also.

I was actually referring to all the religious "facts" you like to point make. The cash thing works nicely though also. Bad thing is you never pointed out why my comparison is wrong.
I am thoroughly confused by your post. I really don't know what religious facts I like 'to point make.' I express my opinion and what I've come to learn through my life experiences. I don't claim that my opinion is fact. I also clearly addressed your assertion of my hypocrisy. I said that I didn't like people who preached tolerance of other cultures, belief systems, etc, but when put in a real life situation, refused to tolerate others. I don't see where my statements do that. But you hate me so much that you take each and every post I make and try to disagree with it. It's getting quite old, and I'd really appreciate it if you'd stop.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 06:09 PM

People who don't use their signals when driving bugs the heck out of me.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 06:13 PM

it's like "ladee laa, OH CRAP HE'S SWITCHING INFRONT OF ME WITHOUT SIGNALING!" esp. on freeways it bugs me, and around schools when there are kids around

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 06:17 PM

it's like "ladee laa, OH CRAP HE'S SWITCHING INFRONT OF ME WITHOUT SIGNALING!" esp. on freeways it bugs me, and around schools when there are kids around
Or how about when people turn their signals on AS they are making the turn or lane change.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 06:22 PM

heh, or AFTER you honk at them and theyre already moved over

Forum Links
Forum Rules