Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iOS 4 Update

iOS 4 Update (Page 3)
asxless
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2010, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
iOS 4 on my shiny new iPhone 4. Multi-tasking is the only real disappointment for me. Everything you've run is in the multi-tasking switcher. Translation: after a little while I have quite a few recent apps so now instead of scrolling through a couple pages with 10-15 apps each, I'm scrolling through 5 or 6 pages of 4 apps each. Not sure how that is suposed to be a speed up over just closing an app and opening another.
Don't forget... the app icons on those 5 or 6 pages change position every time you open an app. I find It helps if I view the iOS4 multitasking/switcher tray as a mental exercise game to train me not to use spatial memory as a crutch

asxless in iLand

Cold Warrior
Jun 25, 2010, 11:50 AM

Yeah, the switcher gets cluttered fast.

And I've seen some apps not resume properly if switching back to them. I've had to kill them in the switcher, then open them fresh. It's only been with a couple of the apps I use, which have not been updated for iOS 4, and most work just fine (also including many not yet updated for iOS 4), but it's definitely a reminder of Steve's derision for task managers.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2010, 12:53 PM

I really wish there was a way to dock apps to the first page of the task switcher. I miss having my double-tapped home button take me to my phone favorites, but if I could dock the phone app to the task switcher I'd be happy.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2010, 01:18 PM

Yeah.

Luckily, Apple allows me to pin the phone onto the Dock.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2010, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Yeah.

Luckily, Apple allows me to pin the phone onto the Dock.
Which means that you have to exit your program to get to the phone, or find it in the app switcher. Not nearly as useful.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2010, 01:28 PM

There is no difference to the running application between hitting the home button once and hitting it twice.

Sage
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2010, 01:48 PM

^-- I think a lot of people forget this point. I know personally I’ve mostly stuck to single-clicking the home button because it’s easier and it allows me to maintain spatial orientation of my apps (instead of how they constantly shuffle around in the app switcher tray). I only double-click when rapidly switching between two apps or using apps that are on different home screens.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 25, 2010, 03:00 PM

I usually find the switcher is actually much easier, ’cause I don’t have to remember how many times I have to swipe across app screens to find the app I want (assuming I’ve just used it, which I usually have if I’m using the switcher to begin with), it’ll be right there.

It’s really no different from Cmd + Tab, which also does away with spatial orientation, shuffling apps around by most-recent-use-ness. Well, it is different, of course, since it only fits a few apps in on each page, but the concept is no different.

Do those of you who dislike the switcher also dislike using Cmd + Tab to switch between apps?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 25, 2010, 03:04 PM

Anyone with iPod Touches notice anything weird with their wireless? Ten feet (and a wall) from my Time Capsule my Touches' strength dropped a bar (And it inexplicably dropped completely once, though I'm blaming the app I was in for that).

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 25, 2010, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Anyone with iPod Touches notice anything weird with their wireless? Ten feet (and a wall) from my Time Capsule my Touches' strength dropped a bar (And it inexplicably dropped completely once, though I'm blaming the app I was in for that).
Both my iPod Touch and my iPhone will regularly, but randomly, drop a bar or two even less than three feet (and with no intervening walls) from my AirPort. It comes back again, and I’ve never actually seen it have any kind of noticeable effect, but it happens regularly.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 25, 2010, 03:15 PM

Did it happen before iOS4? Never for me, that I can recall.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 25, 2010, 03:16 PM

Yeah, it’s been happening ever since I bought the iPod Touch, about two or two and a half years ago.

(I never use the iPod Touch anymore—no reason to, with the iPhone with me all the time—so I haven’t updated it yet)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 25, 2010, 03:24 PM

You are of no use to me.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2010, 04:08 PM

There is no difference to the running application between hitting the home button once and hitting it twice.
You're right, but it's faster and easier to not have to go back to the home screen and then into the phone app - I want to go directly to it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2010, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
You're right, but it's faster and easier to not have to go back to the home screen and then into the phone app - I want to go directly to it.
It's less effort to click ONCE and press the phone icon on the Dock than it is to click TWICE and then possibly have to scroll through the open apps to find the phone app.

Are you not getting it, or am I missing it?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2010, 04:42 PM

It's less effort to click ONCE and press the phone icon on the Dock than it is to click TWICE and then possibly have to scroll through the open apps to find the phone app.

Again, I don't want to have to scroll through the open apps.

What I *want* is my double-tap home to phone shortcut. If I can't have that, I'd like to have the phone app permanently on the double-tap menu right when it comes up.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2010, 05:07 PM

You can keep it permanently on the SINGLE-tap menu:

Keep the phone app on the Dock.

One tap for a home screen (any home screen, the Dock is the same for all), one for the phone. No scrolling, no searching.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2010, 06:05 PM

It’s less effort to click TWICE on the button and choose a phone favorite than to click ONCE and then tap the phone icon and then possibly have to tap the favorites tab. I.e. the old double-tap is easier than the single-tap method that’s always been available.

And if he doesn’t really want to use the app switcher thing at all, then he loses the old advantage and gains nothing.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2010, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Koralatov View Post
wut. It’s on my 8GB 3G, and it is sloooooow. I’ve got about a gig of space free on it (same as before the upgrade), and the ‘upgrade’ to 4.0 has made nearly everything seriously laggy. Third-party, not-iOS4-optimised I could understand, but even SMS takes forever to open and lags like crazy when I type.
I went back to iPhone OS 3.1.3. I just couldn't tolerate the iOS 4 lag on my 16 GB 3G any more.

How to downgrade from iOS 4.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2010, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
It’s less effort to click TWICE on the button and choose a phone favorite than to click ONCE and then tap the phone icon and then possibly have to tap the favorites tab. I.e. the old double-tap is easier than the single-tap method that’s always been available.
Yes, I know. But this is what he said:

Again, I don't want to have to scroll through the open apps.

What I *want* is my double-tap home to phone shortcut. If I can't have that, I'd like to have the phone app permanently on the double-tap menu right when it comes up.
So, he can't have the double-tap home to phone shortcut. Instead, he wants the phone app permanently pinned to the screen that comes up when he double-taps the home button.

But he can ALREADY pin the phone app permanently to the SINGLE-tap Dock right when it comes up.

Is there some fundamental misunderstanding here?

I glean that he wants to be able to pin apps into the first screen on the double-tap switcher.

I note that he can already pin them to the Dock, which is one less tap for the same effect.

He notes that he doesn't want to have to quit the app (which he apparently believes a single-tap will, but a double-tap won't).

I point out that this isn't the case either way, as for a running app, it is completely irrelevant whether you switch away via the home screen or via the application switcher.

Rinse and repeat.

( Last edited by Spheric Harlot; Jun 26, 2010 at 05:07 AM. )

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2010, 08:44 AM

Yes, I know. But this is what he said:

So, he can't have the double-tap home to phone shortcut. Instead, he wants the phone app permanently pinned to the screen that comes up when he double-taps the home button.

But he can ALREADY pin the phone app permanently to the SINGLE-tap Dock right when it comes up.

Is there some fundamental misunderstanding here?

I glean that he wants to be able to pin apps into the first screen on the double-tap switcher.

I note that he can already pin them to the Dock, which is one less tap for the same effect.

He notes that he doesn't want to have to quit the app (which he apparently believes a single-tap will, but a double-tap won't).

I point out that this isn't the case either way, as for a running app, it is completely irrelevant whether you switch away via the home screen or via the application switcher.

Rinse and repeat.

It comes down to this: double-tap to phone favorites would be the best, double tap and have the phone icon would be the next best, current situation is not ideal. Hitting the home button to go back to the main screen and then clicking the phone icon takes more time than switching to it directly from an app. It may not be any more or less clicks/taps, but it does take longer to get to where I used to be able to get to in two taps.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2010, 11:44 AM

This update is kind of oddly buggy for a big apple release.
I have a 32gb iPhone 3GS and I did the iOS4 update. Weird things are happening.
First I do not have the tethering option at all. Next anything that is internet related is not working. I am not sure how to explain it, but it seems like a data issue. Basically maps, safari, any app that uses data will not connect or work.
Finally the weirdest thing of all is that the option to send pictures or emails in the text section is gone completely. I am pretty sure there are other issues, but right now that is all that I can find.
Anyone else run into these?
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,
iPhone 4 - Time Capsule 2tb, Apple TV - iPad 2 64gb

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2010, 01:43 PM

It comes down to this: double-tap to phone favorites would be the best, double tap and have the phone icon would be the next best, current situation is not ideal. Hitting the home button to go back to the main screen and then clicking the phone icon takes more time than switching to it directly from an app. It may not be any more or less clicks/taps, but it does take longer to get to where I used to be able to get to in two taps.
Current situation, given that double-tap to phone favorites is gone:

One tap: Dock.
Second tap: Phone (on Dock).

Your wish, given that double-tap to phone favorites is gone:

Two taps: Switcher.
Third tap: Phone.

I'm just. Not. Seeing. It.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2010, 08:44 PM

Current situation, given that double-tap to phone favorites is gone:

One tap: Dock.
Second tap: Phone (on Dock).

Your wish, given that double-tap to phone favorites is gone:

I'm just. Not. Seeing. It.
Going back to the home screen and then into the phone app takes longer than switching directly to it, regardless of total number of taps. Not really sure how else to explain it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2010, 08:53 PM

tried it on my 3gs.

Nope.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2010, 09:00 PM

tried it on my 3gs.

Nope.
Tried it on mine.

Yep.

(WTF was the point to your post?)

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2010, 09:03 PM

That would be nice.

However, there is no such option.
The triple click options are severely limited and IMO useless.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2010, 09:52 PM

Tried it on mine.

Yep.

(WTF was the point to your post?)
It is not faster ("nope") to double-tap and then hit the phone icon from the switcher than it is to single-tap and hit the phone icon from the Dock.

Sorry if you got confused.

Cipher13
Jun 29, 2010, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
iPhone 3G: upgraded to iOS4, and if I can't do something about the slowness of this install, I'll be going back to 3 somehow.

*Everything* is slow. From unlocking the phone, entering the pin, and typing both SMS messages and e-mails. Almost unusably slow (in my opinion). Going to attempt to restore it to see if that rectifies the issue, but if not, I'll be downgrading.

If you have a 3G, hold off.

EDIT: It's also worth noting that, as far as I can discern, there's no actual benefit to iOS4 whatsoever for a 3G user (unless you want to use the iBook store or something?).
Well, a restore fixed most of the lag issues (switching pages, opening apps... general use). However, typing is still extremely slow, which is enough to force me to downgrade, unfortunately. Ah well.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2010, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
It's also worth noting that, as far as I can discern, there's no actual benefit to iOS4 whatsoever for a 3G user (unless you want to use the iBook store or something?).
Well, a few things, for example:

1) Folders
2) Mail changes (including the ability to use multiple Exchange accounts if you're into that)
3) Etc.

But yeah, I can definitely live without these, to get the speed back.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2010, 07:45 AM

The mail changes are probably the thing I like the most about iOS 4. I hate going back to mail on my iPad and having to check each mailbox individually.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2010, 10:28 AM

I love pretty much everything about iOS 4.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2010, 02:31 PM

A quick survey of my friends (actual and twitter) seems to show that around 75% of people are experiencing significant degrading of battery life using iOS4 on a 3GS. My 3GS battery has taken at least a 50% hit.

Battery life on my 4G is really really excellent so I assume that there is some battery life optimising code that works for the new 4G battery but to the detriment of the one in the 3GS.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2010, 10:20 PM

I don't get spectacular battery times on my iPhone 4. Still about a day with Wifi, 3G and Bluetooth on.

-t

-Q-
Jun 29, 2010, 10:29 PM

I'm finishing the day with about 25% of the charge left. On the 3G, I was left with about 10% left after a full day of work/usage. So I definitely see better battery life, just nothing *amazing* after all the emphasis made in the keynote.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2010, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I don't get spectacular battery times on my iPhone 4. Still about a day with Wifi, 3G and Bluetooth on.

-t
IMHO, a day is all a smartphone needs. I'd say the majority of users plug in at night anyway.

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2010, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
A quick survey of my friends (actual and twitter) seems to show that around 75% of people are experiencing significant degrading of battery life using iOS4 on a 3GS. My 3GS battery has taken at least a 50% hit.
I wonder what's up with that. To offer just one more response to your casual survey here, the per-charge battery life on my 3GS is clearly better after updating to iOS 4. I'd be tempted to call it a significant improvement, although I haven't had the time to try and quantify the experience. The single aspect where the difference is most obvious is in how much less the battery drains overnight as (both the phone and) I sleep. Wi-Fi, 3G, GPS, push mail and notifications on the whole time.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2010, 11:01 PM

On my iPod touch 3G I've had better battery life with OS 4.0, but I believe that's because I have very few apps installed (Engadget, Facebook, Twitter, WeatherBug, and Words) and all but two are multitasking compatible, so they aren't relaunching all the time.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2010, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post

Battery life on my 4G is really really excellent so I assume that there is some battery life optimising code that works for the new 4G battery but to the detriment of the one in the 3GS.
Battery life on my 3GS has gone up slightly, by about 10%.

kman42
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2010, 10:05 AM

I definitely miss the double-home button to access the phone favorites. Single home-button, tap on phone in dock takes you to wherever you last were in the phone app, not to favorites. Plus, a double-home button is simpler than a single-hone button, then look to tap on phone in dock. I could double-home button without looking. Not so with the new way. It's not a huge thing, but I do miss the old double-home button to go straight to phone favorites.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2010, 07:31 PM

I just realized that if you have several keyboard layouts activated, iOS 4 will REMEMBER THE LAST KEYBOARD LAYOUT USED IN AN APP.

So I've got the English keyboard (and thus spell-check) in Safari, while the SMS app usually has the German keyboard open (and its associated spelling checker).

Kick-ass detail.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2010, 07:43 PM

FYI, 4.1 beta is out, with "improved" bars and reception.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2010, 11:05 AM

Ok, then this is where I have to come in and say, “It still doesn’t have AVRCP, does it?”

It still doesn’t have AVRCP, does it?

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2010, 11:29 AM

Yay, I was wrong! Doing the Google on “iOS 4.1 AVRCP” reveals many headlines trumpeting AVRCP’s arrival.

I’m actually thinking of springing for the paid Developer Program just so I can get this on my Phone sooner. (Also, maybe having spent the money will motivate me to try harder on my whole learning-Cocoa endeavor.)

richwig83
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2010, 05:08 PM

New and improved reception!! ROFL
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2010, 05:18 PM

What's your point? The new software is supposed to display fewer bars where the signal isn't strong.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2010, 05:22 PM

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2010, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
What's your point? The new software is supposed to display fewer bars where the signal isn't strong.
No.. look closer at the height of the bars!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Thorzdad
Jul 15, 2010, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
Good lord. That would mean the bars will have to point downward here.

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2010, 10:10 PM

I've also doubted the whole "this updated totally ruined" whatever. But it's true. I've tried updating 4.0.1 three times now and keep getting an unexpected error. iTunes says I need to restore which I've tried to no avail. I then tried to use the older 4.0 that was previously in my trash, but I get an error that I have the wrong firmware. It's an iPhone 4 that I received the day before the official launch with no problems. Arghh.

Forum Links
Forum Rules