Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 22)
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2011, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Definitely deserving of a thread, though god knows when I'll get around to getting that game.
Since there's no multiplayer, who cares? Just pick it up after the first price drop. Maybe there will be an Amazon holiday deal as well.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 21, 2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Since there's no multiplayer, who cares? Just pick it up after the first price drop. Maybe there will be an Amazon holiday deal as well.
I did that with BioShock 2. I still haven't played it (though I did eventually try the multi).

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2011, 10:54 AM

Bah...you need to play this one.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2011, 11:44 AM

I picked it up but haven't had a chance to play it yet. Sounds Ike a lazy weekend job though. Arkham was great, BTW. It took me a while because I went for all the riddler puzzles. If you were/are a fan of Batman this without a doubt is the best game adaption ever.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 21, 2011, 11:48 AM

The riddler stuff was great in the last one. I don't recall for certain, but I believe I got all or next to all of them without a guide, which feels hard to do nowadays.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2011, 02:56 PM

There's a load more content to keep you busy in this one. The combat is largely the same, but the atmosphere of the game is a huge step up. When you get to a certain height, it's amazing to see how authentic Gotham City feels/looks.

I didn't think I'd care for the Catwoman missions, but they're actually a nice change of pace. I read they make up 5-10% of the story, which is about right, IMO. Any more than that, and I'd feel betrayed, similar to the Raiden debacle from MGS2.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 21, 2011, 03:00 PM

I found the other one to be plenty long.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2011, 04:02 PM

Blizzard announced that the new WoW expansion will include Pokemon.

Game - World of Warcraft
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2011, 11:44 PM

WoW and Pokemon? Must be for the young kids and women.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 24, 2011, 01:09 PM

Just gonna post this here. Overall reviews seem to be positive, though it's worth noting EA embargoed reviews until today and sent console versions late for review, which is disheartening. SP seems to be average at best.

Battlefield 3 review: Squad score bonus | Joystiq
Battlefield 3's campaign isn't just a straight line, it's tactically linear. Firefights almost always unfold the same way. This is partly due to enemy AI that often seems stuck to a six foot leash from where they initially appear, but it goes deeper than that. For all the talk of destruction and immersion, Battlefield 3's campaign is a step backward from the manic calamity of Bad Company 2. There's no more blowing holes through walls to make an alternate route. Environmental destruction is cosmetic or scripted.

Taking only the campaign and the co-op into consideration, Battlefield 3 is a mess. It feels like a developer way outside of their comfort zone, trying to catch someone else's lightning in their bottle. It lacks any identity or soul.
Battlefield 3 marks DICE's attempt to marry the scope and scale of Battlefield 2 with the destruction and close quarters dynamics of Battlefield: Bad Company 2, and it mostly works. My biggest complaint is the size of the maps (at least in the PC version). The really huge maps have giant buffer zones on either side of the main areas of interest, which served mainly to delay respawning players from immediately jumping back into the fray. Perhaps those areas exist for the re-introduced warplanes to have space to maneuver and be useful, but having to run (or even drive) three or four hundred meters before I could even see the action wasn't fun.

here is less destruction than I had hoped, though. It's not Bad Company 2, and levels won't start out intact and end looking like the surface of the moon the way they often did in that game. You might get a little wistful when you find walls you can't put a rocket through, but you'll probably get over it after the first couple of hours.

Diving into Battlefield 3's more robust team deathmatch modes seems like a waste of time with the work DICE put into re-balancing classes.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 24, 2011, 01:32 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 24, 2011, 01:50 PM

I don't know how long it's been like this since I've been skimming the end for the past few weeks, but BF3 is finally getting a $20 back bonus on amazon.

Amazon.com: Battlefield 3 - Limited Edition: Xbox 360: Video Games

You could conceivably still get this tomorrow if you order soon. sek?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 24, 2011, 04:09 PM

Quick Thoughts About My Battlefield 3 Review
Man, what a mess. Battlefield 3 might be the biggest game I've ever reviewed, and I can't imagine a way in which the review situation could have gone worse. 3 days to review the campaign and finalized multiplayer is doable. Obviously, since I put a review up. But it's not ideal.

But less ideal has been everything surrounding the review and Battlefield 3's release. I won't dwell on the weird goalpost moving that DICE and EA have tacitly encouraged over the last few days by insisting that console reviews can't be done because of a day one patch that, I guess, would fix anything anyone could possibly find wrong with the game? That's practically unheard of before a game comes out, and having reviewed… one, two, three, four EA published shooters over the last two years (Bad Company 2, Medal of Honor, Bad Company 2 Vietnam, and Crysis 2), it was especially surprising here. Put more clearly, EA has never done this with any of the games of theirs that I've reviewed. Even Bad Company 2, which I believe also had a day one patch, was reviewed on debug hardware with a near-final version of said patch.
Other things… I wonder why I got a copy of the game when so many other people in the press didn't. Joystiq is a big, big site, don't get me wrong, but still. People I greatly respect got shafted, and it's hard to understand why that would be. I'm hoping I wasn't selected on the basis of what EA thought I would give the game. That's the kind of shit that keeps me up at night, figuratively speaking.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2011, 04:18 PM

Got Arkham City. Tried to get into it and just getting frustrated. Pity, beautiful looking game, and Cat Woman does look good.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2011, 11:16 PM

Surely y'all knew this was coming...

Uncharted 3

IGN - 100
1UP - 100
Giant Bomb - 100
Machinima - 95
GameTrailers - 95
Joystiq - 90

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2011, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Got Arkham City. Tried to get into it and just getting frustrated. Pity, beautiful looking game, and Cat Woman does look good.
What is frustrating you? Movement between the various levels? The combat?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2011, 11:37 PM

Uncharted 3

IGN - 100
1UP - 100
Giant Bomb - 100
Machinima - 95
GameTrailers - 95
Joystiq - 90
Yup, and I will be there first day, as always.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2011, 11:51 PM

I've never played the Uncharted series, so excuse my ignorance, but how is it possible that a game which relies on quicktime events could be so highly rated? Are people so impressed with the story that they forgive even the stupidest of gameplay mechanics?

I saw a video of Harrison Ford playing U3, and the screen was just telling him to push one button over and over again while an airplane is being ripped apart around him. I just thought: WTF? That's supposed to be engaging game play?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
I've never played the Uncharted series, so excuse my ignorance, but how is it possible that a game which relies on quicktime events could be so highly rated? Are people so impressed with the story that they forgive even the stupidest of gameplay mechanics?

I saw a video of Harrison Ford playing U3, and the screen was just telling him to push one button over and over again while an airplane is being ripped apart around him. I just thought: WTF? That's supposed to be engaging game play?
That's a very tiny portion of gameplay, though. In fact, I forgot there were even quicktime events until you mentioned the airplane being ripped apart.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 25, 2011, 08:33 AM

Uncharted 3

IGN - 100
1UP - 100
Giant Bomb - 100
Machinima - 95
GameTrailers - 95
Joystiq - 90
Between this and BF3, I foresee MW3 falling short in the scores department.

What is frustrating you? Movement between the various levels? The combat?
I'm not sure he's used to 3rd person cameras. So controls?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2011, 08:38 AM

Activision whores (like me) don't care about scores.

I'm not sure he's used to 3rd person cameras. So controls?
You do read what I write !!! I'm touched Dakar.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 25, 2011, 08:43 AM

That was an educated guess. I'm not entirely fond of third person games (They're always a little clunky in combat), but there are many great experiences to be had from them.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
That's a very tiny portion of gameplay, though. In fact, I forgot there were even quicktime events until you mentioned the airplane being ripped apart.
Correct. Quicktime events only pop-up a handful of times during the game. It's not like Heavy Rain, where every bit of combat is based on QTE. There's very, very little of it in Uncharted.

The series has a unique feel to it, and it's pretty hard to describe. That's why I've often lamented that it's the forgotten masterpiece for about 66-75% of American gamers.

It'll get an 85-90 average on Metacritic and sell a billion copies.

Speaking of BF3, I'm now thinking about not picking up my pre-order. Between Arkham City, Uncharted 3, and MW3, I'm not sure how much time I'd spend on it's multiplayer anyways. Also, having a baby within the next few days is going to guarantee that I'm out of shooter multiplayer for the next month or so).

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Activision whores (like me) don't care about scores.
*ding*

S'okay...I'll be playing MW3 on day one. Too many people play the series to even consider leaving it aside.

You do read what I write !!! I'm touched Dakar.
I get the comments of all you FPS addicts mixed up.

Also, Dakar has an annoyingly good memory.

That was an educated guess. I'm not entirely fond of third person games (They're always a little clunky in combat), but there are many great experiences to be had from them.
My four favorite games from this gen (Arkham Asylum, Red Dead Redemption, Infamous, and Uncharted 2) all have camera/control issues from a FPS fan's perspective. If people spend 90% of their time playing FPSs, then it's probably harder to readjust to third-person. I spend so much time between 3PS, FPS, and sports titles that it's not as big of a problem.

Any difficulties with the camera angles (almost always the issue in 3PS) are worth the dynamic movement made possible in a game like Infamous or Assassin's Creed.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 25, 2011, 11:20 AM

Speaking of BF3, I'm now thinking about not picking up my pre-order. Between Arkham City, Uncharted 3, and MW3, I'm not sure how much time I'd spend on it's multiplayer anyways. Also, having a baby within the next few days is going to guarantee that I'm out of shooter multiplayer for the next month or so).
What difference does not picking it up make? Also, slightly surprised to see MW3 get the nod ahead of it.

My four favorite games from this gen (Arkham Asylum, Red Dead Redemption, Infamous, and Uncharted 2) all have camera/control issues from a FPS fan's perspective. If people spend 90% of their time playing FPSs, then it's probably harder to readjust to third-person. I spend so much time between 3PS, FPS, and sports titles that it's not as big of a problem.

Any difficulties with the camera angles (almost always the issue in 3PS) are worth the dynamic movement made possible in a game like Infamous or Assassin's Creed.
The issues are pretty straightforward. The camera plays twister to avoid hiding itself behind that item that's always in the foreground killing your ability to get a clean view of the area. Pan left to right a few times in RDR – the camera will pop up each time it passes over Marston. When doing finesse aiming that's infuriating.

Second, as I mentioned, there's always an object in the foreground, obstructing your view – you. It can get old, depending on the game. Personally, I've found the best 3rd person games rely more on close combat mechanics or needing to be aware of your surrundings: Batman, Assassin's Creed, Hitman, Zelda/Fable II. GTA always gets knocked for its weapon play. Which is not to say that it should be a FPS, but remember Hitman II and Star Wars Battlefront? The option to switch between the two when needed is underrated. Gears, for all it's clunkiness, practically goes FPS on ADS, which I think is noteworthy.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2011, 11:35 AM

What difference does not picking it up make?
It means I put the money on something else -- probably something single-player, like Skyrim.

Also, slightly surprised to see MW3 get the nod ahead of it.
As much as I enjoyed BC2, it's run was brief with me. I got into it too late, and spent maybe 10% as much time on it as I did with BO. It's easy to prefer a game when 80% of your friends list plays it.

The issues are pretty straightforward. The camera plays twister to avoid hiding itself behind that item that's always in the foreground killing your ability to get a clean view of the area. Pan left to right a few times in RDR – the camera will pop up each time it passes over Marston. When doing finesse aiming that's infuriating.

Second, as I mentioned, there's always an object in the foreground, obstructing your view – you. It can get old, depending on the game. Personally, I've found the best 3rd person games rely more on close combat mechanics or needing to be aware of your surrundings: Batman, Assassin's Creed, Hitman, Zelda/Fable II. GTA always gets knocked for its weapon play. Which is not to say that it should be a FPS, but remember Hitman II and Star Wars Battlefront? The option to switch between the two when needed is underrated. Gears, for all it's clunkiness, practically goes FPS on ADS, which I think is noteworthy.
A few games get it just right. The God of War series comes to mind, but it's because the environments are laid out to remain almost static as the player brawls around the map.

My only significant issue with Arkham Asylum was that the camera was actually very close and low to Batman while not in combat (Arkham City is about the same). Add his cape into the mix, and a good 20% of the view is impeded by your character. That solves some of the camera issues when panning, but at the expense of visibility.

I'd agree that Gears of War gets it just about right. I never played Hitman or Battlefront though.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 25, 2011, 11:41 AM

It means I put the money on something else -- probably something single-player, like Skyrim.
You said you had it pre-ordered. This implied to me you already have money on it.

As much as I enjoyed BC2, it's run was brief with me. I got into it too late, and spent maybe 10% as much time on it as I did with BO. It's easy to prefer a game when 80% of your friends list plays it.
...and releases two weeks from now.

A few games get it just right. The God of War series comes to mind, but it's because the environments are laid out to remain almost static as the player brawls around the map.

My only significant issue with Arkham Asylum was that the camera was actually very close and low to Batman while not in combat (Arkham City is about the same). Add his cape into the mix, and a good 20% of the view is impeded by your character. That solves some of the camera issues when panning, but at the expense of visibility.

I'd agree that Gears of War gets it just about right. I never played Hitman or Battlefront though.
I remember having zero problems with Arkham Asylum, and few with AC:R (and none that were rage inducing). Gears doesn't get it right because of all the contextual situations, poor controls, and basic lack of flow from the control. There's a reason why I find killing the AI infinitely more rewarding than humans.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2011, 12:04 PM

You said you had it pre-ordered. This implied to me you already have money on it.
Exactly. So I'm canceling the pre-order, and putting the money I'd already invested into another game. I did it at (shame incoming) GameStop with credits from old trade-ins, so I can't just get the money back. I have to put the credits towards something else.

...and releases two weeks from now.
Is that it? I had a late November release in my mind for some reason.

I remember having zero problems with Arkham Asylum, and few with AC:R (and none that were rage inducing). Gears doesn't get it right because of all the contextual situations, poor controls, and basic lack of flow from the control. There's a reason why I find killing the AI infinitely more rewarding than humans.
I'm speaking of Gears solely from a camera perspective. The contextual situations have screwed me up enough during the little time I've had for GoW3 to the point that I screamed at the TV. I'm still not a fan of the series in general, but I feel like the camera panning and perspective are great. It's just the clunky movement of the characters that mars it, along with the aforementioned contextual mishaps.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 25, 2011, 12:11 PM

Exactly. So I'm canceling the pre-order, and putting the money I'd already invested into another game. I did it at (shame incoming) GameStop with credits from old trade-ins, so I can't just get the money back. I have to put the credits towards something else.
Sell your soul to the Devil, etc.

Is that it? I had a late November release in my mind for some reason.
For your kid, maybe.

I'm speaking of Gears solely from a camera perspective. The contextual situations have screwed me up enough during the little time I've had for GoW3 to the point that I screamed at the TV. I'm still not a fan of the series in general, but I feel like the camera panning and perspective are great. It's just the clunky movement of the characters that mars it, along with the aforementioned contextual mishaps.
The roadie run is kind of obnoxious as it take sup more of the screen, but yeah, compared to the first I suppose it's better.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2011, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar
For your kid, maybe.
No, indeed. That's imminent.

The roadie run is kind of obnoxious as it take sup more of the screen, but yeah, compared to the first I suppose it's better.
It's still kind of cool, though not as much as the first few times I used it in the original Gears. When it was original, it was different and cool. Now it's jarring.
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Oct 25, 2011 at 02:28 PM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 25, 2011, 12:35 PM

Speaking of heavy breathing, between that and jet videos of BF3 that sound is getting overplayed.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2011, 01:20 PM

I remember having zero problems with Arkham Asylum, and few with AC:R (and none that were rage inducing).
That would be AC:B, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. AC:R (Revelations) isn't out yet. Maybe it was a slip in typing. B and R are close.

AC:R is coming out next month too.

And regarding the conversation at hand, I've never had too many problems with the controls and camera angles in 3rd person games like Assassin's Creed or Saint's Row. I've only had one or two issues with the angle.
MacBook Pro

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2011, 10:15 PM

I don't know how long it's been like this since I've been skimming the end for the past few weeks, but BF3 is finally getting a $20 back bonus on amazon.

Amazon.com: Battlefield 3 - Limited Edition: Xbox 360: Video Games
Weird. I'm only seeing the standard edition with a $10 credit.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2011, 02:28 AM

Email this morning says a GTA V trailer will be released on November 2nd - Grand Theft Auto V. Trailer. 11/02/11. | Rockstar Games
So, which city, what will the character be, and will it look anywhere near as good as the GTA IV icenhancer graphics mod on PC.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2011, 05:38 AM

I also liked Fable II and wondered if my previous hatred of 3rd person had been cured because I had no problems in this game. Sadly no. I didn't get on with Gears 2, in Red Dead I always bumped into people, and now in what is supposed to be one of the best adventure games ever, I'm also disappointed.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2011, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Email this morning says a GTA V trailer will be released on November 2nd - Grand Theft Auto V. Trailer. 11/02/11. | Rockstar Games
So, which city, what will the character be, and will it look anywhere near as good as the GTA IV icenhancer graphics mod on PC.
Read last night that it's LA and there will be multiple playable characters.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 26, 2011, 08:46 AM

People think it'll be released next fall. I think they're idiots. I don't think Rockstar would start a campaign this early. It's probably spring, which is also the smart move since the fall is dominated by massive titles.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 26, 2011, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Weird. I'm only seeing the standard edition with a $10 credit.
It was for pre-orders.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 31, 2011, 12:39 PM

Not gonna lie, not really checking the news as often as I'm deep into BF3. But what little I've read hasn't stirred me.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2011, 10:43 AM

Finally completed Shadow of the Colossus (PS3).

Awesome game! The only game from the last decade that surpasses it, would be Metroid Prime, for me.

I still don't completely understand the ending. (Is this game supposed to be the prequel to ICO?).

My only minor complaint is the amount of 'pop-in' (textures and models).

Cheers

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2011, 01:13 PM

I believe this counts as news:
Grand Theft Auto V Trailer - YouTube

Looks like San Andreas.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2011, 01:31 PM

MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2011, 01:32 PM

This thread is turning into a ghost town. News once a week...
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2011, 01:38 PM

It's cause I'm actually gaming.

Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2011, 02:15 PM

I believe this counts as news:
Grand Theft Auto V Trailer - YouTube

Looks like San Andreas.
I wasn't in love with IV. Meh.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
This thread is turning into a ghost town. News once a week...
MW3 is out soon. What else do you need to know?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2011, 11:54 AM

I'm waiting on Saint's Row: The Third, I'm done with MW, personally. GTA V looks great as San Andreas was my favorite of the series, GTA IV was a bit of a disappointment as a follow up to that one, in every way other than graphics. I've actually been having a blast playing Payday: The Heist. (Four player co-op heist game)

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
I'm waiting on Saint's Row: The Third,
Yeah, I'm waiting on that too. I have both MW3 and Saint's Row: The Third on pre-order. I'll probably concentrate on MW3, and play SR:TT on weekends, or something. I like both games and have spent alot of time on the predecessor of both.

Assassin's Creed: Revelations is also coming out this month, but I probably won't buy it until after Christmas.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 3, 2011, 01:26 PM

I thought this might happen:
Xbox Live's Major Nelson � LIVE Activity for week of October 24th
Xbox 360 Top LIVE Titles (based on UU’s)
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Modern Warfare 2
Battlefield 3
Gears of War 3
FIFA 12
Halo: Reach
Batman: Arkham City
Madden NFL 12
Forza Motorsport 4
GTA IV
Call of Duty 4
NBA 2K12
FIFA Soccer 11
NHL12
Halo 3
Battlefield: Bad Co. 2
Call of Duty: WaW
NCAA Football 12
Dead Island
Red Dead Redemption
BF3 can't make it past MW2, and Halo is down to 6(!)

P
Nov 3, 2011, 02:10 PM

Doesn't surprise me, really - Xbox has become the CoD platform.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 3, 2011, 02:30 PM

It didn't help that BF3 had a horrific beta and Activision trolled EA by having dual double-xp weekends.

Forum Links
Forum Rules