Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > How is reverse image searching like hacking an email account?

How is reverse image searching like hacking an email account?
knifecarrier2
Baninated
Jan 8, 2013, 03:22 PM

If someone posts a picture online, and someone downloads said picture, and uploads it to google to search for it... how is that hacking anything? Why would you close a topic because of this?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2013, 06:30 PM

That's not why the topic was closed.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2013, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by knifecarrier2 View Post
If someone posts a picture online, and someone downloads said picture, and uploads it to google to search for it... how is that hacking anything? Why would you close a topic because of this?
That's the herring, not the problem.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2013, 03:45 AM

Shaddim, when are you going to give up on the ridiculous notion you are claiming in your signature? I don't understand why somebody of your intelligence can't comprehend how what goes on in this country has a profound impact on Americans and foreigners alike.

I mean, really?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2013, 06:53 AM

That's the problem with trying to discuss US policy with foreigners who are only here to argue.
We take these issues to heart, because this is our country and we love it, they're here for the entertainment value.
That's sort of like saying that somebody who watches "When Harry Met Sally" for entertainment cannot care deeply about love.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2013, 09:51 AM

Specifically, it's about the 2nd amendment, and the gulf between US values and most of the rest of the world, when we all talk about guns. I think it's a fair assessment, there are a few who only come here to fight but most want to find a solution. It's best to filter out the idiots and discuss the issue. We have how many threads on guns? Why? We've already heard the outside opinions, it's time for proper citizens of this country to talk this out.

This is real life, this is what is discussed in my county commission (which could become an ordinance), I take ideas to my state legislature (a few have been included on bills and have become law), it isn't a game. So, when I say, "let's look at fixing this", I'm being serious. Working to tune out the infantile background noise, usually punctuated with abuse, mischaracterizations, and sarcasm, is helpful.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2013, 10:59 AM

I guess it's more deeply caring about children dying, and the amazement that Americans care more about guns than about children.

And yet, BuckyBalls are banned because somebody, somewhere, managed to choke on one.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 9, 2013, 11:23 AM

I assume the decision stems from thesd quotes from this page.

Originally Posted by Shaddim
At least you revealed a weakness in one of my email accounts. That's valuable, I guess.
Originally Posted by Shaddim
Manipulation and distortion is what led to; the creation of "raleur", a breach of security in an online account, and subsequently caused an invasion of my privacy (which is now being investigated by the authorities).
Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton
So you're saying that raleur hacked your email account via MacNN? I'm not much of a computer expert and had no idea MacNN might expose me to this sort of vulnerability. Does this have something to do with the recent changeover? Mods, I'd appreciate any input you might have on this sort of security breach - I hope you understand my concern here, but if we have been exposed to this risk some of us need to know immediately (at least, I do).
Originally Posted by raleur
Yes, the weakness in your email account is known as a "Google reverse image search."

Here, I will save you the next step: yes, you have many friends in law enforcement, and I am sure a crackerjack task force is being assembled at this moment to investigate the serious breach that occurs in one's email when one is stupid enough to post pictures they pasted from the internet.
Originally Posted by raleur
No worries, I hacked his email account via a Google search. Yes, I'm that good.
It sounds like Shaddim claimed raleur got into an account of his somehow, ShortcutToMoncton elevates it to the possibility of email account getting hacked due to MacNN, and raleur sarcastically "verifies" it, while saying that all of the pictures he got he found via Google Reverse Image Search.

andi*pandi
Jan 9, 2013, 11:27 AM

(not disagreeing in principle, but re magnet balls: it's not the choking, but once swallowed the magnets can rip apart intestines trying to come together. Plenty of other choking hazards are sold every day (barbie shoes and legos, talking to you) but magnet toys are now a no-no. )

Is Proposed Recall on Magnet Toys Unfair? - ABC News

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2013, 11:33 AM

Yes, he's brilliant, he "found" the images from the sales where I purchased the cars, after I'd already linked the sales and auctions... where I purchased the cars. That's some next level Sherlock Holmes stuff, right there. Wow.

Anyway, WTF is this thread about? Is it time to dance like we do on Sprockets?
( Last edited by Shaddim; Jan 9, 2013 at 12:57 PM. )
- Thomas Paine

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 9, 2013, 12:15 PM

Completely off topic, but can someone explain to me how knifecarrier's gun thread is still in the Lounge? Are the mods so afraid of the shitfit that will ensue when they move it to where it belongs (The PL) that they won't do it?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2013, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Specifically, it's about the 2nd amendment, and the gulf between US values and most of the rest of the world, when we all talk about guns. I think it's a fair assessment, there are a few who only come here to fight but most want to find a solution. It's best to filter out the idiots and discuss the issue. We have how many threads on guns? Why? We've already heard the outside opinions, it's time for proper citizens of this country to talk this out.

This is real life, this is what is discussed in my county commission (which could become an ordinance), I take ideas to my state legislature (a few have been included on bills and have become law), it isn't a game. So, when I say, "let's look at fixing this", I'm being serious. Working to tune out the infantile background noise, usually punctuated with abuse, mischaracterizations, and sarcasm, is helpful.
Why do you seem to feel that only Americans can understand the second amendment, it's importance, existence, and that somehow one needs experience living with it to have a valid opinion about it?

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2013, 03:06 PM

I'm realllly not trying to get into the middle of the apparent drama that's exploded around here in the past couple weeks, but in response to besson:

It's the same sort of thing as people who comment on the United States Constitution's first amendment rights when those people live in countries that do not have similar Constitutional rights.

While your opinion may be valid to an extent and while the country in which you live (or are from) may have legal precedent that supports a similar concept as held in the US Constitution, there's a world of difference between precedent or opinion and an actual document that guarantees certain rights - guarantees that cannot be revoked with out some kind of congressional action taking place and being approved by a group of representatives.

I don't think your opinions are invalid because you're Canadian. But I do think that the context is different and even that the opinions about it by Americans are probably a little *more* important since those are the people who are actually directly affected by the Constitution and any amendments made to it. It is important that Americans talk about this, because changes made affect us far more than it affects you. If the federal government suddenly decides to revoke the second amendment, I have to turn in my firearms immediately, even though I am an educated, practiced, responsible gun owner who shouldn't even be put in the same ballpark as people like James Holmes and Adam Lanza. That matters a lot more than Internet opining of those outside the United States.

Just my two cents.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2013, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
(not disagreeing in principle, but re magnet balls: it's not the choking, but once swallowed the magnets can rip apart intestines trying to come together. Plenty of other choking hazards are sold every day (barbie shoes and legos, talking to you) but magnet toys are now a no-no. )

Is Proposed Recall on Magnet Toys Unfair? - ABC News
It's also that BuckyBalls are marketed as toys. Granted, they were clearly marketed as toys for individuals old enough and smart enough to not swallow several of them, since that can be deadly and all that, but they were still marketed as toys.

Firearms never have been and likely never will be marketed as toys. A parent looking for a cool gift for their ten-year-old on ThinkGeek isn't going to see an AR-15 listed next to a limited edition silver-plated BuckyBall set.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2013, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
I'm realllly not trying to get into the middle of the apparent drama that's exploded around here in the past couple weeks, but in response to besson:

It's the same sort of thing as people who comment on the United States Constitution's first amendment rights when those people live in countries that do not have similar Constitutional rights.

While your opinion may be valid to an extent and while the country in which you live (or are from) may have legal precedent that supports a similar concept as held in the US Constitution, there's a world of difference between precedent or opinion and an actual document that guarantees certain rights - guarantees that cannot be revoked with out some kind of congressional action taking place and being approved by a group of representatives.

I don't think your opinions are invalid because you're Canadian. But I do think that the context is different and even that the opinions about it by Americans are probably a little *more* important since those are the people who are actually directly affected by the Constitution and any amendments made to it. It is important that Americans talk about this, because changes made affect us far more than it affects you. If the federal government suddenly decides to revoke the second amendment, I have to turn in my firearms immediately, even though I am an educated, practiced, responsible gun owner who shouldn't even be put in the same ballpark as people like James Holmes and Adam Lanza. That matters a lot more than Internet opining of those outside the United States.

Just my two cents.

I know there is a difference between having the second amendment and not having the second amendment, but my point is that you don't need experience living with it to grasp the concept, it's not a profound concept that only Americans can understand. In fact, there are no doubt many foreigners that understand American academic concepts such as the ins and outs of constitutional law better than some Americans, your birth certificate is not the deciding factor here.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2013, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
It's also that BuckyBalls are marketed as toys. Granted, they were clearly marketed as toys for individuals old enough and smart enough to not swallow several of them, since that can be deadly and all that, but they were still marketed as toys.

Firearms never have been and likely never will be marketed as toys. A parent looking for a cool gift for their ten-year-old on ThinkGeek isn't going to see an AR-15 listed next to a limited edition silver-plated BuckyBall set.

The same applies to Kinder Surprise (a hollow chocolate egg with a little toy inside), which is humorously banned in the US while it is legal in Canada... In the 20394809238 years Kinder Surprise has existed there have been an infinitesimally small number of choking fatalities reported. It should be the kind of concern one would have choking on a jelly bean - a non issue.

Then again, the US is a funny animal when it comes to legislative consistency. You can't buy alcohol on Sunday in some states or you can only buy beer that is un-chilled, yet you can get firearms from Walmart? That will show those drunk people, they are probably so drunk they have no concept of putting their booze in a cupboard so that it will be available on Sunday!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 9, 2013, 05:02 PM

Yes, he's brilliant, he "found" the images from the sales where I purchased the cars, after I'd already linked the sales and auctions... where I purchased the cars. That's some next level Sherlock Holmes stuff, right there. Wow.

Anyway, WTF is this thread about? Is it time to dance like we do on Sprockets?
Then what was the email security breach everyone's flipping out about?

And can we save the gun control BS for another thread? It's getting in the way of some potentially awesome drama.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2013, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Then what was the email security breach everyone's flipping out about?

And can we save the gun control BS for another thread? It's getting in the way of some potentially awesome drama.
Poor baby! It's been explained as well as it's going to be.
- Thomas Paine

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2013, 06:20 PM

It's been explained as well as it's going to be.
So...not at all?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2013, 06:21 PM

Can someone explain this "breach" to me?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2013, 06:35 PM

So...not at all?
It was explained in the other thread. I can't explain further due to the on-going investigation. You could do a better job asking, rather than saying "what's going on, we want drama", or perhaps try a PM?
- Thomas Paine

knifecarrier2  (op)
Baninated
Jan 9, 2013, 06:53 PM

K. I vote for he's full of shit.

raleur
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2013, 03:26 AM

It sounds like Shaddim claimed raleur got into an account of his somehow, ShortcutToMoncton elevates it to the possibility of email account getting hacked due to MacNN, and raleur sarcastically "verifies" it, while saying that all of the pictures he got he found via Google Reverse Image Search.
Yes, this is the root of the issue. Here's what happened:

First, Shaddim downloaded several pictures from various places on the web.

Second, he uploaded those images and made various claims about them, including that he owned several of the cars pictured.

Third, noticing that there was no consistency at all in any of the pictures Shaddim posted, I did a reverse image search on a few of them. It took about 30 seconds to find where he got them, and a few moments spent reading those pages makes it clear that Shaddim could not possibly own the cars he said he did.

The whole "email hacking" thing is Shaddim's attempt at diverting the question from the fact that he was caught in a lie.

It follows his well-worn MO: when challenged, A) feign outrage and personal affront in order to avoid answering the question, and, more importantly, B) take the opportunity to re-assert how awesome you are.

Now, since Shaddim has me on ignore, and there is no reason to believe he might have lied about that, could someone please do me a favor? Tell him to direct his super-special-rich-guy investigatory force to the Seattle-Tacoma airport on Saturday morning, when I will re-enter the country in order to face justice.

Ω
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2013, 06:18 AM

Finding this funny. Shaddim is called out and his big willy shrivels.
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

Ω
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2013, 06:25 AM

And please do not use your wickedly sharp calvary sabre on me. Be warned I am armed with a (water) pistol.

( Last edited by Ω; Jan 10, 2013 at 06:42 AM. )

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2013, 06:36 AM

I suspect your motive in keeping non-US folks out of the gun threads is to stop them combining forces like some Super Transformer in order to defeat you.

But you have a point. Outsiders can't possibly understand the "norm" in your area from a distant vantage point. Outsiders don't understand the laid back attitude Australians have to sharks or crocs. Getting eaten in this country is just considered bloody bad luck, much as it is in the US with your exploding first graders.

More importantly I think it's important for non-Americans to stop arguing about guns with Americans for their own mental health. It's futile and infuriating. We don't want any MacNN-crazed Eurofags going bananas with a steak knife.

Ω
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2013, 06:44 AM

By your powers combined

raleur
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2013, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Ω View Post
Finding this funny. Shaddim is called out and his big willy shrivels.
Here, I will save Shaddim the trouble:

As someone with an immense willy, I find your smug and condescending attitude offensive. All eight of my non-committed sexually-liberated psychologically-well-adjusted non-wives cherish my monstrous willy, and you are insulting them.

Also, you clearly hacked my medical records in order to learn the size of my willy. Get ready for a visit from the FBI, or perhaps Delta Team, whom I also happen to know personally.

Welcome to /ignore, buddy.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2013, 07:43 AM

First rule of Big Willy Club is never talk about...

HEY! SQUIRREL! –––––––––>

So raleur, where do you stand on Santa Claus?

His throat, I presume.

So after Shaddim, who's the next member to be hounded out? Is it me? I lied about knowing the first rule of Big Willy Club. I'd never join any club that would have my member as a member.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2013, 07:44 AM

I miss the relaxed vibe we had going on this forum since the election, when arguments were about dissecting data and chatter was mostly friendly.

Now, there's a definite overload of people being complete and utter dicks in trying to prove that others are being dicks.

Ironic that it coincided with the return to vB, which was intended to make people feel less inclined to leave.

raleur
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2013, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
So raleur, where do you stand on Santa Claus?

His throat, I presume.
Actually, I turned him into a rug.

So after Shaddim, who's the next member to be hounded out? Is it me?
Nobody's next. While you and I will probably have our disagreements, you seem to prefer rational arguments. Those don't require spotless credibility, just intelligence, and I'm happy to respond in kind.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 10, 2013, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I miss the relaxed vibe we had going on this forum since the election, when arguments were about dissecting data and chatter was mostly friendly.

Now, there's a definite overload of people being complete and utter dicks in trying to prove that others are being dicks.

Ironic that it coincided with the return to vB, which was intended to make people feel less inclined to leave.
Blame Adam Lanza. Guess the ongoing shock or shame from Obama's reelection was overcome by the necessity to defend the honor of guns.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2013, 05:17 PM

[Glances into room and sees "raleur" and buddies covered in clown manure, carefully closes door back and leaves.]

Ewww...
( Last edited by Demonhood; Jan 10, 2013 at 08:33 PM. )
- Thomas Paine

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2013, 05:47 PM

But you have a point. Outsiders can't possibly understand the "norm" in your area from a distant vantage point. Outsiders don't understand the laid back attitude Australians have to sharks or crocs. Getting eaten in this country is just considered bloody bad luck, much as it is in the US with your exploding first graders.

Outsiders might have a difficulty relating to various *cultural* aspects to our society, but it is silly to frame a conversation about gun control around American folklore and traditions as opposed to facts, studies, research, etc.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2013, 06:17 PM

It was explained in the other thread. I can't explain further due to the on-going investigation. You could do a better job asking
My apologies! I only want clarification for the sake of my own curiosity. Could you perhaps link me to the place in the other thread where it was explained (actually, I'm not sure what "other thread" you're talking about). I listed the quotes I found in the other Feedback thread pertaining to the account. Maybe there's something in the Car Talk thread?

If that request is too vague, could you perhaps answer a couple quick questions?

1. Do you believe that someone gained unauthorized access to one of your online accounts?
2. Do you believe that someone posted information gained in said security breach onto MacNN?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2013, 06:49 PM

The only place I've given out that specific addy is this forum (it has all my personal information and conversations that I've shared with others around here for all these years), I've not had an issue with it before. It gets compromised while I'm being abused by the "raleur" sockpuppet, which also coincides with being attacked by numerous other parties who have been upset with me for a while. Partially it's my fault, the PW for that address wasn't too difficult to guess if you studied my interests. I suppose I just feel, disappointed, not really angry.

However, since I'm not going anywhere, and I'm not too concerned about what those particularly nasty people think, they've just wasted a lot of time and energy being classless assholes. *shrug*
- Thomas Paine

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2013, 08:29 PM

However, since I'm not going anywhere
That's good to hear, somebody has to keep conversation interesting around here.

It gets compromised while I'm being abused by the "raleur" sockpuppet, which also coincides with being attacked by numerous other parties who have been upset with me for a while.
I guess the one part that's still not clear to me (maybe I'm just slow and I missed it) is how you knew it was compromised. Was the password changed? Was someone sending out emails posing as you?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2013, 09:25 PM

Numerous emails (as in many many dozens) were marked as "read" that weren't before, going back for years. But not all had been, just ones specific to personal conversations and forum PMs.
- Thomas Paine

raleur
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2013, 09:29 PM

I guess the one part that's still not clear to me (maybe I'm just slow and I missed it) is how you knew it was compromised. Was the password changed? Was someone sending out emails posing as you?
Yes, I am also quite interested to learn how the public webpages I found indicate a serious breach in security.

Is there a logical explanation, or is the "security leak" yet another attempt to avoid answering the question?

raleur
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2013, 09:32 PM

Numerous emails (as in many many dozens) were marked as "read" that weren't before, going back for years. But not all had been, just ones specific to personal conversations and forum PMs.
Assuming this is true (big assumption that), what does it prove?

What information was posted that could only have come from those conversations?

Forum Links
Forum Rules