Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Ethernet port on Airport Extreme Fried?

Ethernet port on Airport Extreme Fried?
ATC Ken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2007, 06:08 PM

Hello,

We had some nasty thunderstorms down here in Texas this weekend and I took some major hits. I have surge protection which saved a bunch of my hardware (with dead surge protectors) but I think my Airport Extreme took a hit through the cable/ethernet port. The cable modem died (which ComCast replaced) so I'm thinking my AE got wasted also.

After setting up the new cable modem and connecting the AE, my iMac finds the AE with Airport Utility but keeps saying the ethernet cable is not connected. Rebooted the modem, the computer, and reset the AE to factory defaults. Same response each time. That's why I think the port on my airport extreme is fried.

Anyone ever have this happen - or am I just missing something.

Thanks,
Ken
2.5 Ghz MacBook Pro, 2GB Ram, 250 GB HD...major upgrade replacement for my recently sold iBook.

1.25 Ghz iMac, 17", 768 MB Ram, 160GB HD, SuperDrive, Airport Extreme..still a great desktop machine!

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 4, 2007, 07:27 PM

Sounds like you may be right. Have you tried connecting with a different cable? If you can eliminate the cable, the next step is to turn both the Extreme and the cable modem off. Now turn on the modem and wait at least a timed minute. With the Extreme connected to it (WAN port, right?), turn on/plug in the Extreme and wait at least another timed minute. That should allow both boxes to start up properly and then (if possible) connect. This is similar to what you've already done, but there are subtleties-waiting a timed period to allow the boxes to boot fully, and the order involved is important.

It's not likely that there's a problem with the signal coming out of a new cable modem, but if the first modem got fried, it could have also taken out the cable and/or the Extreme. A cable surge arrestor is supposed to be installed on the service leg of the customer's loop; it's supposed to keep this sort of thing from happening. At least it should reduce the surge enough to limit the damage to the modem. If your Extreme's WAN port is indeed fried-and the rest of it works fine-then it was damaged by a surge through the cable modem. I'd talk to ComCast's customer service about this. Either your cable installation is not "safe" or the modem they provided took out your router with an attenuated surge. Either way, it's up to them to make the next move.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ATC Ken  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2007, 10:13 PM

Ahead of you there Glen...I had already tried the switched cable and restart of both units (although not as precisely timed as you suggested). Anyway, I took the Airport Extreme back to the Apple Store in the Galleria (only purchased a bit over a month ago) and explained that I couldn't get the AE to recognize the ethernet cable from the cable modem but that my iMac did. Long story short...they did an exchange and I'm right now using wireless on my new Airport Extreme. I guess the port really did get fried via the cable modem on my first Extreme. Worried now that it might happen again!

Good advice on contacting ComCast. I didn't realize that they were supposed to have surge protection from the "street level". I'll check with them tomorrow.

Thanks for the response,
Ken
2.5 Ghz MacBook Pro, 2GB Ram, 250 GB HD...major upgrade replacement for my recently sold iBook.

1.25 Ghz iMac, 17", 768 MB Ram, 160GB HD, SuperDrive, Airport Extreme..still a great desktop machine!

ATC Ken  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2007, 10:15 PM

Just noticed I am a "Fresh Faced Recruit" ... even though I registered 1 month after Glen (administrator). Just goes to show you need to frequent these forums and chime in a bit more...hehe!

Forum Links
Forum Rules