Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Fan Runs ALL the Time After Installing Additional RAM

Fan Runs ALL the Time After Installing Additional RAM
mackandproud
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2009, 01:51 AM

I have a black macbook, and overall, it's been a good experience. One thing which has annoyed me slightly is the frequency with which the fan runs. My prior computer was a G3 Pismo, which ran very cool, and so I got spoiled.

With the original 2 GB RAM, the fan ran fairly frequently, especially if a quicktime video was being played, or if I was ripping mp3's to itunes. Under normal operation: word processing, web surfing or playing a DVD, no problem.

However, I've just installed additional ram. Now I have 4 GB. However, I'm noticing the fan runs a lot more often. I've used techtool and the RAM tests fine. Also, I've reset the PRAM. I'm not sure what else to do at this point.

When I run a movie in DVD player, the fan always ramps up to 3000 rpm or higher when before it always remained at 1800 or so.

I've also updated to the latest version of smc fancontrol 2.2. So everything should be up to date. So why is my fan running so much? Can additional RAM cause my computer to run hotter?

Forum Links
Forum Rules