Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Bug for users of non-us keyboard (int. version)

Bug for users of non-us keyboard (int. version)
Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2005, 10:10 AM

Users of OSX, supposedly only 10.4.2, using non-US keyboards may suffer from a bug that leads to to log entries being made for every keystroke. The bug leads to disc activity for logging errors at each and every keystroke and this in turn provides noticably slower keyboard response for affected international users.

To check wheter you have this problem, start Terminal and run:
tail -f /var/log/windowserver.log

If you have the problem, you will see error messages as shown below:

Oct 19 10:30:38 [67] kCGErrorNoneAvailable: CGXKeyEventTranslate: key translation failure
Oct 19 10:30:38 [67] kCGErrorNoneAvailable: CGXKeyEventTranslate: key translation failure

Supposedly the bug is fixed in the upcoming release of 10.4.3.

However, it is also possible to correct it now by activating the root user in net info, and logging in as root user and choose ONLY US keyboard for this user, uncheck all other keyboards. When done, log out of root and log in as your normal user and do a test, check your log again.

Haven't tested this myself as I am at work and on a PC, but I am eager to leran whether many of you are affected and whether the bug may be present in earlier versions of OSX, I.e. 10.3 and 10.4x.

Plaese report your findings.

Sophus

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2005, 12:05 PM

I am running the OS (10.4.2) in Spanish with Spanish keyboard and occationally in other languages such as Norwegian, US American and others but I am not getting those errors in my log.

I use both Unicode and Roman layouts.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Sophus  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2005, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
I am running the OS (10.4.2) in Spanish with Spanish keyboard and occationally in other languages such as Norwegian, US American and others but I am not getting those errors in my log.

I use both Unicode and Roman layouts.

cheers

W-Y
I am back from work and checked my mac. I have the bug on Norwegian keyboard. Every keystroke generated to error entries in the log. Activated root user, logged in and removed all but US keyboard. Logged out. Logged in as my normal user, deactivated root user. Tested. No more errors. The mac is much more responsive when using the keyboard, writing etc.

Hope it fixes my long lasting "double character with one keystroke"-problem also. Will try it out to verify, this is the most annoying bug ever.

Anyway, I would like to get some reports from other intenational users on this bug, as well as reports of how your mac responds after fixing it, provided you got it of course.

Sophus

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2005, 04:45 PM

PB 15" with Finnish/Swedish KB in 10.4.2

Damn! It's doing just that. :o

Well, maybe teh snappy will take place when I fix it

J

Jens Peter
Senior User
Oct 19, 2005, 06:33 PM

Yep, same issue here. Use Danish as keyboard layout, and the problems was there also. Did the fix - enable root bla bla bla - and it worked. No more errors, and you can actually feel that tying shows up faster. At least it seems like that in Word. (But it could be a placebo-effect

Forum Links
Forum Rules