Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook palm rest crack issue

MacBook palm rest crack issue
hobb3s
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2007, 11:53 PM

So as of yesterday I have the palm rest crack problem, as seen here Apple - Support - Discussions - Does The Apple Warranty Cover Chipped ...

So my question would be, would they repair this after the 1yr warranty, and if not, can I buy Apple Care and get it replaced that way?

Its sortof a known issue so I didnt know how apple handled it, despite being past the warranty period

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2007, 08:27 AM

Well if its past the one year and you haven't gotten the extended warranty yet then I'm pretty sure you can't renew. It has to be less than a year after you bought it. Just schedule an appointment at an Apple store and see what they recommend.

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2007, 10:59 PM

Yep, that is caused by slamming shut the lid and the magnet hitting the thin plastic bezel. The problem is that integrated piece includes the keyboard, trackpad, trackpad button, and power button built into it. Labor-wise, it's not too intensive but it involves several tiny screws to keep track of.

Did you purchase AppleCare with your MacBook or within the first year? If so, just take it into an AASP and they'll replace the keyboard bezel pending it wasn't caused by abuse. Out of warranty you're looking at an hour's labor plus the part.

Labor rates vary, so check out Apple's online AASP locator to find one near you.

Cold Warrior
Sep 21, 2007, 11:19 PM

If it's a known defect -- like the discoloration in first-gen macbooks -- then you may be able to convince them to repair it.

hobb3s  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2007, 12:31 AM

well i called apple today, they said im not covered by warranty (i bought my macbook the day it came out) and I dont have the Apple Care, however they said they would cover it, so I'm excited about that!

OkieDoc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2007, 03:08 PM

I have a cracked off 1.5 mm by 2.5 cm fragment of plastic off the very edge of my macbook palmrest, aligned where the little plastic "foot" is on the screen bezel (Which i assume keeps the screen from touching the keyboard).

Can I email you a picture of it so you can tell me if it's the same problem?

mikee60369 AT aol with the dotcom at the end. Hit me up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules