Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple considering hiking price of iPhone 6 by $100, says analyst

Apple considering hiking price of iPhone 6 by $100, says analyst
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Apr 14, 2014, 01:26 PM

Apple has been asking carriers for approval to raise the base subsidized price of the iPhone 6 from $199 to $299, claims Jefferies analyst Peter Misek. The carriers have allegedly balked at the idea so far. Apple could potentially justify the increase due to the phone's bigger size; it's unclear in fact if the hike would apply to the 4.7-inch model or the 5.5-inch one, since Misek refers to just one iPhone 6. Many shoppers would likely assume a 5.5-inch phone would be more expensive.

If it fails to get a $100 increase Apple might still be able to persuade carriers to compromise, for instance accepting $50. In any case though that could make the iPhone a tougher proposition for the public. The iPhone is already an unusually expensive smartphone, particularly unlocked, at which point it starts at $649. Apple's normal advertised prices are only possible because of carrier subsidies, which are in turn linked to multi-year contracts.

pairof9s
Senior User
Apr 14, 2014, 04:28 PM

Even more fodder for the competition that pounds on Apple for not having a 5 inch smartphone. I see the reasoning and Apple has never shied from price, but the general public will be bombarded with "same size but less expensive" from Samsung and ilk.

OkieDoc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2014, 08:51 PM

"The iPhone is already an unusually expensive smartphone, particularly unlocked, at which point it starts at $649."

Um...the only unlocked 16 GB Galaxy S5 that I could find was at Best Buy...for $649

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=5572005&pid=1219139432781&pcatId= abcat0801002

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2014, 01:39 AM

pairof9s: you are talking as though something an analyst says is actually going to happen. Hint: no.

Which is not to say that Apple might not produce a phone that's $100 more than the iPhone 5s, but believe me if they do it will have something amazing nobody else has.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

pairof9s
Senior User
Apr 15, 2014, 09:30 AM

chas_m: Well likewise on if Apple is going to even release a 4.7 inch, 5 inch or otherwise phone. These are all speculation...I get it.

But the one thing Samsung has hung its hat on in this competition today is the larger screen...something that's been clearly shown and documented as an advantage for them over Apple. So Apple's ability to take the full wind out of those sails (because come on...size is not innovation!) is given a reprieve by raising the price on the iPhone in doing so versus the competition.

I'd love if Apple didn't but no one can say either way for something that hasn't even been announced...so we conjecture here.

shawnde
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2014, 01:39 AM

But Samsung is MORE EXPENSIVE on contract than the iPhone ... in Canada, it's usually $249 or more. And I believe unlocked prices on the Galaxy S4 or S5 or over $850, so no, the iPhone is not the most expensive phone on the market. But it is the best.

Forum Links
Forum Rules