Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > MPAA Spyware??!!

MPAA Spyware??!!
as2
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2004, 05:30 PM

I'm currently using my mum's laptop to access the internet, and was looking on shockwave.com, and playing a pop-cap game when (even though I've got a pop-up blocker) an IE window opened to the MPAA's respect copyrights website...

www.respectcopyrights.org

It comes up with the message 'you can click, but you can't hide' and although I'll admit to using BitTorrent on my iMac if I miss a TV show and want to catch up, as far as I know there has never been any illegal software on my mum's laptop, as it is provided by the school she works at, and is essentially still owned by the government!

Could this be some kind of spyware that has installed itself on the computer, or just a pop-up that managed to bypass the blocker I have?

Adam
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2004, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by as2:
I'm currently using my mum's laptop to access the internet, and was looking on shockwave.com, and playing a pop-cap game when (even though I've got a pop-up blocker) an IE window opened to the MPAA's respect copyrights website...

www.respectcopyrights.org

It comes up with the message 'you can click, but you can't hide' and although I'll admit to using BitTorrent on my iMac if I miss a TV show and want to catch up, as far as I know there has never been any illegal software on my mum's laptop, as it is provided by the school she works at, and is essentially still owned by the government!

Could this be some kind of spyware that has installed itself on the computer, or just a pop-up that managed to bypass the blocker I have?

Adam
Probably bypassed the pop blocker. I wouldn't be surprised if M$ gave them a way to do it.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2004, 06:34 PM

Your first problem is that you're using Internet Explorer. Try using a real browser that doesn't compromise your security intentionally.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

as2  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2004, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
Your first problem is that you're using Internet Explorer. Try using a real browser that doesn't compromise your security intentionally.
Like I said, it's my mums work computer, and she's not allowed to install any software on it!

Otherwise I'd be using firefox
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2004, 04:52 PM

This is where that "no installing" policy bangs into the reality we all know as common sense. If I were of the employees I'd be complaining that 'dealing' with IE wastes time rather than installing firefox and not having to deal with such things at all.

Then again, these are MICROSOFT CERTIFIED SYSTEM ENGINEERS at work, I imagine, so they know best
Aloha

Forum Links
Forum Rules