Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Handspring Treo, I want to love you but you suck

Handspring Treo, I want to love you but you suck
thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2002, 12:47 AM

Okay, so now I have my 2nd Handspring Treo mobile phone/PDA, and it has broken too. My first was the Treo 180, black and white csreen, worked nicely, but ad reception problems. Sent it to be repaired, but they lost it.

I upgraded to the colour Treo 270. Within a week, the backlight on the screen has gone. So unless I am in bright sunlight or have a torch, I cannot see the screen.

The guy at the store tells me I can have any phone there I want, since I already have the most expensive one they stock. The Sony Erricson's I thought would be cool, but store very little contact data, the main feature i use.

So I have a brand new one on order to replace this one, I ask the dude at the store how reliable they are. "We've sold 5 Treo's, 3 have come back' he replies.

Surely there has to be a similarly equipped phone that actually *works*??

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Dec 30, 2002, 01:55 AM

What did you expect from that cheap plastic thing?

The T68i is awesome, get it.

Sealobo
Dec 30, 2002, 04:02 AM

Originally posted by Leia's Right Bun:

The T68i is only "awesome" because it works with OS X.

Sony Ericsson sucks. I've had the T29sc, T68i and T300 and they all disappointed, the built in OS is very slow and the interface is not user-friendly. Sometimes the machine would actually freeze.

I am now using a Nokia 6610. It's great stuff.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2002, 06:03 AM

Never had a single problem with my Treo 300. Who cares if it's plastic? So is your Mac.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2002, 06:24 AM

Originally posted by sealobo:
The T68i is only "awesome" because it works with OS X.

Sony Ericsson sucks. I've had the T29sc, T68i and T300 and they all disappointed, the built in OS is very slow and the interface is not user-friendly. Sometimes the machine would actually freeze.
Hmmm. My T68i has never once frozen, works reasonably fast and is totally intuitive. I highly recommend it.

thePurpleGiant  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2002, 07:10 AM

Originally posted by Leia's Right Bun:

I expected it to work, like most other plastic electrical devices I own (namely, all of them)

T68i, correct me if I'm wrong, does not support all the contact info I need:

Name, Surname, Postal Address, Street Address, at least 3 email address, and 5 phone numbers. I can live without other info, but data such as birthday, ICQ, MSN and AOL details are nice, but not necessary.

Can the T68i hold all of this? And the calendar is the only other useful function I need, I'm not aware, how do you enter info into a calendar on such a small screen?

I would be interested in one if they adressed these limitations, but as it stands I see no other contenders.

Forum Links
Forum Rules