Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > HDTV Wah?!?!?!

HDTV Wah?!?!?!
Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2002, 02:02 AM

I just went to Best Buy and appropriated a 30' widescreen Samsung HDTV! Wow! It was marked at $1000 but it had a ton of hidden costs so I ended up spending $1500 $300 for 4 years of in-home warranty and repair stuff, which is about what I would pay for apple care (which is only 3 years) had it been a computer, and then some cables and stuff to make it play with the DVD player my mom got for X-mas. Wheee! I am officially broke.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2002, 02:06 AM

Progressive scan GC games, right, dude? Sometimes it's good to be broke. Just wait for Zelda in progressive scan, baby!

dillerX
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2002, 02:19 AM

Damn that is a lot of money for a TV.
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2002, 02:38 AM

You paid 30% over and above the cost of the TV for their extended warranty, which you'll probably never use? Bad move.

Oh well. It's your money. Enjoy the TV.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2002, 03:43 AM

I'm not sure of the exact model you're talking about, but if it's the line I'm thinking about it's a pretty good TV, especially for the money, but it isn't a true HDTV.

HDTVs do native 1080i. I believe that TV converts everything to 480p.

I ended up getting the Toshiba 34" widescreen. Somewhat better picture, but of course it cost a heluvalot more too.

As for the extended warranty, I didn't get that. I chose to put the money towards a professional ISF calibration instead.

All that said, I trust you will be very satisfied with that TV. Welcome to the world of progressive scan widescreen CRTs. They rule.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2002, 04:08 AM

Take it back and get what I got - the Hitachi Ultravision 32" for the same price and it does REAL 1080i.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Dec 28, 2002, 04:11 AM

So who here who actually has an HDTV actually has HDTV. I am guessing less then 5%.

Personally, 3 years with an HDTV, and no HDTV.

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2002, 04:19 AM

No HDTV here, and no HDTV.

I'm going to wait a few years to buy mine ... until the whole "digital television" revolution actually happens. I don't want to be a slave to the "latest and greatest" ... oops, gotta run and see if my new iPod is charged up yet. See ya

Axo1ot1  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2002, 06:01 AM

It does 1080i. I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't. That would be silly.

Axo1ot1  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2002, 06:03 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Progressive scan GC games, right, dude? Sometimes it's good to be broke. Just wait for Zelda in progressive scan, baby!
Word. I am trying to find the component video cable for the GCN on the internet and I'm drawing a blank anyone know where I can pick one of these up?

Sealobo
Dec 28, 2002, 11:46 AM

i like my 32" Sony WEGA. Bought it new for $1,025 USD.

I don't like LCD or Plasma, they don't look as good.

HDTV is not at all popular in Asia, it's tough to standardize the single i guess.

William_F_House
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2002, 11:48 AM

My wife and I have a Toshiba 57HDX82. It's 57 inches and fully an HD set. We've got satellite connected currently, but no HD channels added yet. However, DVDs like "Monsters, Inc." in progressive scan look as close to HD as I've seen (after the set was calibrated).

As far as how many people have HD compatible sets, I personally know of 18 friends that do. I'd say it's catching on rather quickly.

It's becoming a widescreen world very rapidly. My wife and I were saying that our 16 month old daughter has no real experience with 4:3 ratio since all our televisions and computer monitors (two Tibooks and a Cinema display on our desktop) are all 16:9 format (or close to that).
- William F. House

Boulder, Colorado
Pre-med student, Radiology Assistant
& sometimes writer

willed
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2002, 12:01 PM

Eh? What is HDTV? We've got a year old 32" Sony Trinitron - would this have it? Does it mean higher resolution?

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2002, 12:07 PM

You can't get the component cable anywhere but Nintendo's web site. That's where I got mine.

Mike

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2002, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by willed:
Eh? What is HDTV? We've got a year old 32" Sony Trinitron - would this have it? Does it mean higher resolution?
HDTV is a bunch of standards, It has a higher refresh rate, more lines , it also includes a load of broadcast spec's. In the US it's also been added to the Digital TV spec's

it's the same as we use PAL (more lines slower refresh) and the USA uses NTSC (fewer lines, slightly faster refresh) The USA is eventually going to switch to HDTV.

You wont have heard of anything about it here in the UK because of a format war between the EU and the TV manufacturers. It was originally going to be part of the Digital TV Broadcast specification, bur because of arguments about funding & backwards compatibility, it was left out.

In short HDTV is almost never going to be a broadcast standard in Europe and so HDTV's will never appear (and if you import one form the States you wouldn't get any picture).

Axo1ot1  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2002, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by starman:
You can't get the component cable anywhere but Nintendo's web site. That's where I got mine.

Mike
Yeah that's where I finally found it. It seems sorta stupid that they don't sell these elsewhere. It's almost like they are discouraging the use of them. Will this be an improvement over S-Video?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2002, 05:28 PM

No. Progressive scan provides a nicer picture compared to S-video, though not that noticably, so I hear. Progressive scan is the way to go, though.

Footy
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2002, 05:44 PM

When I bought my new TV a few months ago (Toshiba 36in Flat Screen) for 1200 Best Buy offered me 10% off if I purchased the protection plan for but only if I bought the plan. I bought it. It was still less overall.

Didn't get the HDTV because I didn't want to spend the extra $600. Kind of wish I had now even if it would have been just to play Nintendo.

I did order the component cables from Nintendo though. I'd say it's slightly better than S-video.

Axo1ot1  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2002, 06:09 PM

I read that the S-Video is drazstically better than the standard cable that comes with the cube. I haven't tried the S-Video so i'm excited

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Dec 28, 2002, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
I read that the S-Video is drazstically better than the standard cable that comes with the cube. I haven't tried the S-Video so i'm excited
S-Video is MUCH sharper then RCA. Component isn't that much better from s-video for games. In fact I doupt you could see it at all.

Axo1ot1  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2002, 06:08 AM

So will this take any load off the processor? I was playing some 2 player TS 2 today with 7 on 7 in a huge map with rocket launchers and there were some noticeable framerate drops here and there...Will this go away when I have the component video cable hooked up, or will I have the same framerate drops but looking prettier? I am really impressed with how much my precious little cube can handle. I cant wait for PScan!

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2002, 12:07 PM

No, Ax, no speed improvement -- just picture improvements. Sorry. How is TS 2 anyway?

InterfaceGuy
Senior User
Dec 29, 2002, 03:00 PM

I bought a Toshiba 50HDX82 a few months ago. It does 1080i but I've never hooked up a HD source to it. I found out that Comcast launched HDTV cable here in Nashville this month and its just $4.95 a month for the box. So, I'm gonna pick that up next week and will be able to watch the Superbowl in HD. I'm so excited!

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2002, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by CaseCom:
You paid 30% over and above the cost of the TV for their extended warranty, which you'll probably never use? Bad move.

The last time I bought a big-ticket item in BestBuy was for a god-awful HP laptop. They pushed so damn hard for their extended warantee crap that it drove me nuts. They only dropped the idea of selling it to me when I threatened to walk out without buying anything.

I have not purchased any big ticket items at BestBuy since, and I doubt I will (unless a REALLY compelling deal comes up.)

FWIW: I have purchased some big ticket items ($2000+) at two of BestBuys competitors and did not have this high-pressure experience.

Axo1ot1  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2002, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
No, Ax, no speed improvement -- just picture improvements. Sorry. How is TS 2 anyway?
\
That's acceptible based on the stress we were putting it through. To be honest I'd be surprised if my G4 1 GHz (MDD) with GeForce 4 Ti could keep up with what we were putting it through. TS 2 is awesome. The first player mode has a totaly ludicrous storyline that holds water like a seive, but the level editor and the multiplayer are FANTASTIC. It's the best FPS multiplayer I've ever tried. Puts Halo to shame IMO.

BTW I'm going back to Best Buy today to return the insurance policy (I discovered the TV has an amazingly good policy by itself) and to switch it off my dad's credit card onto a BestBuy card so I don't have to pay interest. I might try to grab a wavebird on my way out, but I'm so broke at this point I probably wont

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2002, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
\BTW I'm going back to Best Buy today to return the insurance policy (I discovered the TV has an amazingly good policy by itself) and to switch it off my dad's credit card onto a BestBuy card so I don't have to pay interest. I might try to grab a wavebird on my way out, but I'm so broke at this point I probably wont
Awesome about TS2. Level editor, eh? That's kick in itself. I need to try it out. I know Free Radical are a bunch of talented guys, but I've never played one of their games before.

And good decision about that insurance thing. Most TVs come with good warranties anyway, and really, TVs are pretty reliable, IMO. Save that 300 beans up, dude.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2002, 07:05 PM

I dropped $17-ish on a warranty for my GameCube at BestBuy. I felt kind of stupid afterward, but it's only $17...

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2002, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by Leia's Right Bun:
S-Video is MUCH sharper then RCA. Component isn't that much better from s-video for games. In fact I doupt you could see it at all.
You can se a SERIOUS difference with component because you get:

1) MUCH better color saturation
2) NO MORE INTERLACING! YAY!
3) Up to 1080i. Can S-Video do that? No. It's set at 480i max.
4) MUCH higer detail and color separation with smaller pixels (read: things you have to shoot that are far away). This makes games like Rogue Leader and Ghost Recon better since you have better color separation.
5) Progressive Scan

Component video rocks.

All 3 of my consoles have it. I'd never go back.

Mike

fourstarcltv
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2002, 01:03 AM

here, here !

component video is the only was to go if your tv is capable.

bri-guy
Dec 30, 2002, 01:23 AM

Originally posted by fourstarcltv:
here, here !

component video is the only was to go if your tv is capable.
I have a Sony Vega with component in, but it's not HDTV so progressive scan is not possible. Is it really worth the $30 + shipping from Nintendo for the component cable?

PS - I bet most people here get more than a few over-the-air HDTV channels. Just about every market but NYC has pretty much all the local channels broadcasting HDTV. I've been told that I should have no problem getting at least 14 HDTV stations living in the northern Chicago burbs (Chicago, Milwaukee, and Rockford stations).

Axo1ot1  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2002, 01:27 AM

They had an S-Video cable at Best Buy today when I was getting my money back. I decided to get it since it was only $10 and the plans that I had for the evening before fell through and I still had money left over. I can't say I noticed much difference, but I didn't test it on my pretty games. Tomorrow or tonight I'm gonna run StarFox and Metroid to see what kind of results I get. I still have my component cable in the mail. My plan is to have that plugged into my parents HDTV, the standard issue one plugged into my SDTV and the S-Video one in my gamecube carrying case so I'll have the best possible connection wherever I'm plugging the cube in.

fourstarcltv
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2002, 01:45 AM

Originally posted by bri-guy:
I have a Sony Vega with component in, but it's not HDTV so progressive scan is not possible. Is it really worth the $30 + shipping from Nintendo for the component cable?
i too have a sony wega tv, with only the one component input, i used to swap the cables over (ie, use component for both ps2 and dvd), but got sick of swapping over, so i now have the ps2 connected via s-video.

i must admit though, i can't detect that much of a difference in visual quality between the component and s-video for the ps2 (with dvd it's a different matter however).

Footy
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2002, 01:58 AM

Originally posted by bri-guy:
I'm in the same boat with my 36in flat screen with no HD. I used the S-video for a few days before my Nintendo component cable got here. I can't say I see a "big" imporvment. Can't really say I see a small one but it's nice to know I'm hooked up as good as I can be. Short of progressive scan that is.

fourstarcltv
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2002, 02:08 AM

Originally posted by Footy:
...but it's nice to know I'm hooked up as good as I can be.
yeah, just that peace of mind knowing it can't get any better.

well, that's my reasoning for forking out the extra cash !

ringo
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2002, 02:50 AM

Originally posted by fourstarcltv:
yeah, just that peace of mind knowing it can't get any better.
...for a few months until something better comes along.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2002, 02:53 AM

Wow I'm jealous of you guys and your nice TVs. At home I have a 13" Commodore monitor with RCA inputs that I use for video games. At my dorm, my roommate has a 19" crapbox that doesn't even have RCA-in. I have to connect my Cube to his VCR, which is then connected to the TV via coax.

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Dec 30, 2002, 03:04 AM

Originally posted by starman:
You can se a SERIOUS difference with component because you get:

1) MUCH better color saturation
2) NO MORE INTERLACING! YAY!
3) Up to 1080i. Can S-Video do that? No. It's set at 480i max.
4) MUCH higer detail and color separation with smaller pixels (read: things you have to shoot that are far away). This makes games like Rogue Leader and Ghost Recon better since you have better color separation.
5) Progressive Scan

Mike
1) You hardly see any colour saturation on video games. On DVD's yes.

2) Almost every HDTV has a built in progressive up converter. In fact just about all of them upconvert from interlaced to Progressive anyway.

3) What games support 1080i? They all support 480p if anything. Like I said, just about all hdtv will convert it to progressive anyway.

4) Same as #1

5) Same as #2 and #3

So if you have the money and the ports go nuts and use component, you will hardly see an improvment from s-Video though and not many games support it anyway.

If you don't see a big jump from RCA to S-Video then your TV has really crappy S-Video chips.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2002, 03:49 AM

Originally posted by Leia's Right Bun:
1) You hardly see any colour saturation on video games. On DVD's yes.

2) Almost every HDTV has a built in progressive up converter. In fact just about all of them upconvert from interlaced to Progressive anyway.

3) What games support 1080i? They all support 480p if anything. Like I said, just about all hdtv will convert it to progressive anyway.

4) Same as #1

5) Same as #2 and #3

So if you have the money and the ports go nuts and use component, you will hardly see an improvment from s-Video though and not many games support it anyway.

If you don't see a big jump from RCA to S-Video then your TV has really crappy S-Video chips.
1) You can DEFINITELY see better color saturation on videogames. Super Mario Sunshine is a PRIME example. Ghost Recon, Animal Crossing, Halo, etc. All are MUCH better.

2) Upconvert? No. Try NATIVE.

3) Dragon's Lair on the XBox supports 1080i. Other games support 480p and 720p. I suggest you do some reading instead of showing how ignorant you really are.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=100055

Mike

William_F_House
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2002, 05:07 PM

I have to agree with Starman......I can see a good deal of difference with Xbox going component into my Toshiba 57HDX82 (even on games that aren't 1080i like "Dragon's Lair"....which I have).

I wouldn't dream of watching dvd any other way than component now. Same goes for gaming.
- William F. House

Boulder, Colorado
Pre-med student, Radiology Assistant
& sometimes writer

shadybirdstan
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2002, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by CaseCom:

I'm waiting right now for my 27" Panasonic to get its new tube put into it after having the TV for 3 years.

Their service plan is the best $60 I ever spent.

Forum Links
Forum Rules