Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Single user mode in Jaguar?

Single user mode in Jaguar?
Tennberg
Apr 15, 2003, 06:33 PM

Hi everyone,

Two questions for ya:

1. How do you boot into single user mode in OS 10.2.5? I've tried holding down the "s" key, the "Open Apple" and "s" keys, and the "Option" and "s" keys at startup, and none of them get me into single user mode? One note: I installed then uninstalled Secure_It to prevent single user mode without a password. Is there a chance this messed it up? I didn't try single user mode before installing this software, so I am not sure if it even worked beforehand. If this is fixable, how do I fix it?

2. Since Secure_It didn't work (I couldn't even get into single user mode to enter a password), what is another way to prevent booting into single user mode once I get it working again?

cpac
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2003, 06:44 PM

in a normal Jaguar install command-s during startup brings you into single user mode.

Since that didn't work for you I believe whatever you installed/removed/whatever messed it up, and unfortunately I can't tell you how to fix it except to reinstall.

Why so worried about security? And if you're so worried, why not just encrypt the whole hard drive or something?
cpac

Tennberg  (op)
Apr 23, 2003, 01:52 PM

*bangs head into wall for being so stupid*

So the reason why I couldn't boot into single-user mode on my image was because I had installed Open Firmware Password. I knew it prevented CD startup and booting into OF, but I read the readme file a bit more and read that it also prevents booting into single-user mode.

It must be that "Oh, I don't need the manual" mentality... :-)

Forum Links
Forum Rules